What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 Crowd Watch

Jordan23

Juniors
Dunno about this being the biggest rivalry in the game
Parra vs Dogs got 34k on a Monday afternoon,
If that game was for a place in the semis would have got 45k easy
Add Dragons to the mix (when they are decent) and between them 3 much bigger crowds that this gane

Valheru

Coach
Gee some people are hard to please

37k for both fixtures between the 2 clubs this year is outstanding. There was no event game involved.

Play this fixture only at the SFS from here on out, one game in the first 5 rounds and the other in the last 5, both Friday nights and you aren't going to get below 30k for the fixture again unless weather is shit.

If you're not pleased with that then I can't help you.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Gee some people are hard to please

37k for both fixtures between the 2 clubs this year is outstanding. There was no event game involved.

Play this fixture only at the SFS from here on out, one game in the first 5 rounds and the other in the last 5, both Friday nights and you aren't going to get below 30k for the fixture again unless weather is shit.

If you're not pleased with that then I can't help you.
Good crowd for Souths but I think it's time they play at Allianz.

I think there's a bit to unpack here with the crowd figure for the Rabbitohs and Roosters:
1. 36,263 is the sixth best crowd for a regular season Rabbitohs and Roosters game in the past 60 years. So whilst, it's a little disappointing that it didn't crack 40k based on our tracking week, it's still a good crowd in the context of this rivalry.
2. 36,263 is the ninth best crowd for any game between the Rabbitohs and Roosters (including finals) in the past 60 years.
3. If you exclude two games in the 1960s, the top 5 regular season crowds in the past 60 years have come since South Sydney rejoined the NRL. This suggests that the rivalry is healthier than its ever been.
4. In the past 60 years, half of the top six crowds for the Rabbitohs and Roosters have come in their past three regular season games (41,906 in R25 2022, 36,639 in R3 2023 and 36,263 in R27 2023). This further suggests the rivalry is more healthy than its ever been.
5. The new Allianz Stadium has seen 3/3 games (R25 2022, Elimination Final 2022, R3 2023) with bigger crowds than tonight's attendance at Accor Stadium. Food for thought.
6. There were apparently two express trains from Central to Accor Stadium tonight (including stops at Redfern and Strathfield). Compare this with Origin + FIFA WWC, where there was an express train every ten minutes for up to two hours before the game, and it doesn't create an attractive proposition.
Dunno about this being the biggest rivalry in the game
Parra vs Dogs got 34k on a Monday afternoon,
If that game was for a place in the semis would have got 45k easy
Add Dragons to the mix (when they are decent) and between them 3 much bigger crowds that this gane
6. I've seen this quote doing the rounds a bit on social media, and there's literally nothing to support it. The Eels and the Bulldogs got their second highest ever crowd (33,866) for a regular season game on "a Monday afternoon" (aka the Kings Birthday public holiday) this year. The best ever regular season attendance between the Eels and the Bulldogs is 34,662 in 2010. That's not even top five for Rabbitohs vs Roosters since 2013. Dragons don't offer much to this equation outside ANZAC Day either.

Or maybe people realised that it wasnt going to be it was hyped up to be.
I think this is an interesting point.

Last year the Rabbitohs and Roosters R25 + Elimination Final games were really hyped (and for good reason). The R25 game was to open the new stadium, and there were questions as to whether South Sydney could claim it as their home ground. The Elimination Final was Sin Bin Sunday.

I went to the R25 game and watched the Elimination Final at the pub in Redfern. The atmosphere at the pub was fantastic with dozens of people decked out in red and green, baying for more blood with every Roosters infringement. Great stuff.

Fast forward to tonight and there was only three of us in the same pub in the red and green. I think there was a reasonable conclusion within the South Sydney fanbase that this season slipped away from us (big time) and all of the public infighting of the past week did nothing to shore up support from within the fanbase.

Valheru

Coach
I think there's a bit to unpack here with the crowd figure for the Rabbitohs and Roosters:
1. 36,263 is the sixth best crowd for a regular season Rabbitohs and Roosters game in the past 60 years. So whilst, it's a little disappointing that it didn't crack 40k based on our tracking week, it's still a good crowd in the context of this rivalry.
2. 36,263 is the ninth best crowd for any game between the Rabbitohs and Roosters (including finals) in the past 60 years.
3. If you exclude two games in the 1960s, the top 5 regular season crowds in the past 60 years have come since South Sydney rejoined the NRL. This suggests that the rivalry is healthier than its ever been.
4. In the past 60 years, half of the top six crowds for the Rabbitohs and Roosters have come in their past three regular season games (41,906 in R25 2022, 36,639 in R3 2023 and 36,263 in R27 2023). This further suggests the rivalry is more healthy than its ever been.
5. The new Allianz Stadium has seen 3/3 games (R25 2022, Elimination Final 2022, R3 2023) with bigger crowds than tonight's attendance at Accor Stadium. Food for thought.
6. There were apparently two express trains from Central to Accor Stadium tonight (including stops at Redfern and Strathfield). Compare this with Origin + FIFA WWC, where there was an express train every ten minutes for up to two hours before the game, and it doesn't create an attractive proposition.

6. I've seen this quote doing the rounds a bit on social media, and there's literally nothing to support it. The Eels and the Bulldogs got their second highest ever crowd (33,866) for a regular season game on "a Monday afternoon" (aka the Kings Birthday public holiday) this year. The best ever regular season attendance between the Eels and the Bulldogs is 34,662 in 2010. That's not even top five for Rabbitohs vs Roosters since 2013. Dragons don't offer much to this equation outside ANZAC Day either.

Well said.

SFS is clearly the right place for this fixture for any game that isn't a GF. It would have got 40k tonight and the joint would have been rocking.

Completely agree on your last point. I'm constantly told that if only the eels were successful... If only the dogs were decent... They would be getting enormous crowds apparently but there is absolutely no evidence to substantiate it.

I see no indicator at all that any other Sydney derby is capable of sustaining the crowds that roosters/Souths have in recent times.

BlueandGold

Juniors
Well said.

SFS is clearly the right place for this fixture for any game that isn't a GF. It would have got 40k tonight and the joint would have been rocking.

Completely agree on your last point. I'm constantly told that if only the eels were successful... If only the dogs were decent... They would be getting enormous crowds apparently but there is absolutely no evidence to substantiate it.

I see no indicator at all that any other Sydney derby is capable of sustaining the crowds that roosters/Souths have in recent times.

Souths and Roosters have been fighting in the top 8 and for a premiership since 2014.

When is the last time the Eels and Dogs where both in the top 8 at the same time fighting for a premiership.

Its either the Eels are up (last 4 years) or dogs are up, rarely since the early 2000's are they both fighting for the prem at the same time.

Where as the Chooks and Souths have had a good 10 years at the top.

Context is everything.

The dogs and Eels compete very well in that context.

And imo if we had the same situation as the chooks and Rabbitohs (constant finals + 3 premierships last 10 years) our crowds would be much larger than the current Roosters v Souths games.

Last edited:
What's it going to take to have a bunch of Sydney teams permanently average 20k crowds? Only one this year (Roosters).

Gonna be hard to shift the game's figures upwards without that, we seem to be stuck in an up-down cycle

SouthsCountry

Juniors
Hate to be that guy but our one negative or area we can work on for 2024 is getting the highest individual crowd in Sydney.

Swines fans won't shut up about the 41k against Melbourne being the biggest individual club attendance of any code in the city

Still that is the only negative I can find this year. We are breaking records left right and centre!

Last edited:

malleekid

Juniors

For clarity Eels V Dogs got 42,717, Round 1 2004.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Hate to be that guy but our one negative or area we can work on for 2024 is getting the highest individual crowd in Sydney.

Swines fans won't shut up about the 41k against Melbourne being the biggest individual club attendance of any code in the city

Still that is the only negative I can find this year. We are breaking records left right and centre!
That 41k were only there to farewell Boring Franklin.