What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 GF | PREMIERS - Penrith 26-24 Brisbane @ Accor

Grand Final: Penrith v Brisbane

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 62 72.9%
  • Brisbane Broncos

Votes: 23 27.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Reflector

Bench
Clearys performance tonight was on par with Andrews John’s best. Honestly at his age I think we are watching the next immortal.
I've been saying this for a while now but at the same age Cleary shades Joey and JT

For comparisons sake, Cleary now >>> Joey circa 2000 (when he chucked his mouthhguard into the turf)

Or Cleary >>> JT circa 2009 (Cowboys were shit)

Fangs

Coach
Brisbane have the forward pack to compete for a premiership. They proved it tonight.

Experts were wrong. Walsh hardly played a part and neither did Reynolds. The Broncos pack stood tall and somehow kept it to 6 points in the opening 20 minutes. They will be better for the loss and be a serious threat in 2024.

It was a good game, and the Panthers deservedly won.

At halftime I thought the Broncos were a real chance when Flegler scored, as till then the try to Kenny was more due to a Broncos stupid error, but it was built on Penrith's pressure. They had a flawless completion rate and 0 handling errors, whilst the Broncos kept coughing up the ball.

The Broncos cut out the stupid stuff to start the second half, and it showed. They threw it around a bit more smartly, and exploited the Panthers who were getting a bit tired. Till then, the only Panthers forward who in both attack and defence was holding up his end was Moses Leota. JFH and Spencer Lenui were outplayed by Haas and Flegler, who grew an arm and a leg.

The game turned though when the errors came back, especially from the short drop out. That's when the inexperience in the Broncos team showed. Too many of them let the pressure get to them, whilst the Panthers sensed it and went at them. Reece Walsh is one who I thought was poor. Way too many errors, and too much push and shove rubbish. Let alone when coming off his own line, he needs to run straight, instead of trying to go around everyone. He's fast but he was easy picking more often than not.

Cleary deservedly won the Clive Churchill. His 40/20 kick, and then his own try really lifted the Panthers when they needed it. He just shaded out Moses Leota who, until Cleary stepped up in the second half, I thought had been best on ground.

Anyways, enough analysis. I'm tired, it's late and I need sleep.

I'll leave my complaints about the big mistakes than Channel Nein made in its coverage, both with the camera, replays and in the commentary box until I've had some sleep.

p.s.

I thought Adam Gee did well refereeing that match.

Last edited:
Brisbane have the forward pack to compete for a premiership. They proved it tonight.

Experts were wrong. Walsh hardly played a part and neither did Reynolds. The Broncos pack stood tall and somehow kept it to 6 points in the opening 20 minutes. They will be better for the loss and be a serious threat in 2024.

It will just depend on who fills Flegler's spot since he's off to the Dolphins for 2024.

JokerEel

Coach

Carrigan was MIA tonight and with Fleggler going to the Fins in 24 they will need to find a decent front rower.

Clearys performance tonight was on par with Andrews John’s best. Honestly at his age I think we are watching the next immortal.
Let's not get carried away now. Cleary was great for 25 minutes. Johns had his team up by 24 at half-time against a record breaking side with Sean Rudder as his halves partner. Joey made plodders look like good players, handing them rep careers in the process.

Cleary isn't there just yet but he's well on his way for sure if he can dominate Origin series'.

Munky

Coach
Let's not get carried away now. Cleary was great for 25 minutes. Johns had his team up by 24 at half-time against a record breaking side with Sean Rudder as his halves partner. Joey made plodders look like good players, handing them rep careers in the process.

Cleary isn't there just yet but he's well on his way for sure if he can dominate Origin series'.

97 boy is what people are referring to.

Cleary had his boys up by 28 in a GF last year

Plus 97 is Leo Dynevors half premiership win.

He's not Johns level yet mate. Not a slight on Cleary but he's just not quite there yet. Tonight was a massive step toward that realm though.

Its easy for us to have short memories sometimes.

Munky

Coach
He's not Johns level yet mate. Not a slight on Cleary but he's just not quite there yet. Tonight was a massive step toward that realm though.

Johns the club player is not Joey the rep player.

At 25 Nathan has won more finals games than Joey did in his career.

CleRy's resume was blighted by a lack of comebacks since his entire game is built around grinding out a lead.

Then the 2023 GF happened....

He's not Johns level yet mate. Not a slight on Cleary but he's just not quite there yet. Tonight was a massive step into that realm though.

Johns the club player is not Joey the rep player.

At 25 Nathan has won more finals games than Joey did in his career.

CleRy's resume was blighted by a lack of comebacks since his entire game is built around grinding out a lead.

Then the 2023 GF happened....
The debate transcends mere stats. There are tons of arguments both ways but at this point, Cleary hasn't dominated rep matches consistently and hasn't won in ordinary sides. That stuff counts for so much.

Tonight though, was the most impressive step toward that for Cleary. I've never seen him pull it out of the fire like that because his team usually runs from the front. To single handedly do that in a GF is elite level... and you have no idea how glad I am that he done it!!

Peterman

Juniors
Was at the game last night. During the game, they played the panthers growl sound many (?10) times over the PA system. They played the broncos neigh sound once. Only minor really but hardly seemed fair for a neutral ground.

Latest posts