What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2023 NRL Match Review Charges & Judiciary

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Exactly. That's what happened. I'm not even sure how you come up with a counter-narrative, let alone say it was "proved" before the judiciary? Seems like massive mental gymnastics.
Knowles kept saying that it was impossible for Carrigan or Fifita to know who ‘it was directed at’. Those motherf**kers were on the field and the tape matched their statements.

Knowles then said it was “quite obvious that it was directed at the referee”.

The whole thing is wild. And you’re right, the mental gymnastics required to find him guilty is laughable. Tony Puletua would have been the only one with a brain there last night.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
That's not very sexy.

Gagai on one foot, was just rested this week. His game against Penrith was one of the worst he has played in a long time. So I don't think he will feature.
Ah yes, didn’t know he was injured. He was putrid against Penrith but was solid against us, and the week before from memory to prove a point. Id rather him not there, if he’s set to knights he will cop a bath

johns_reds

First Grade
The only "contentious" part, for mine, is the length of suspension.

I would hope that this is a bit of lesson to take ownership and admit when he was wrong. A lesson he may not have learned yet.
I think you’re right, probably 1-2 weeks max
If he callled him a cheating merkin to his face then 3 -4 weeks, but from what he said hardly worth 3 weeks

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Cry more. Walsh is a mouthy little shit and this might teach him a lesson so he doesn’t gob off and get marched in a final and REALLY cost your club. Be grateful he got punished now.

Last edited:

Maximus

Coach
Exactly. That's what happened. I'm not even sure how you come up with a counter-narrative, let alone say it was "proved" before the judiciary? Seems like massive mental gymnastics.

It's pretty easy. The ref blew a penalty, Walsh said "I stopped, I stopped", ref said obstruction, and Walsh immediately said "what do you f**king mean, merkin".

What do you think is more believable?

Guy who had been whinging at refs all game, had already been warned and continued doing it, abused the ref. Or

Guy who had been whinging at refs all game, had already been warned and continued doing it, apparently just happened to not do it this time when he was pissed at a decision.

Definitely takes massive mental gymnastics to believe the first one right?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It's pretty easy. The ref blew a penalty, Walsh said "I stopped, I stopped", ref said obstruction, and Walsh immediately said "what do you f**king mean, merkin".

Guy who had been whinging at refs all game, had already been warned and continued doing it, abused the ref. Or

Guy who had been whinging at refs all game, had already been warned and continued doing it, apparently just happened to not do it this time when he was pissed at a decision.

If I only read this description, sure - and you're right in fairness, that set of facts does make it quite easy to construct a narrative. If I then watched the video which shows the event I would become aware that this is not what occurred though, because it's a video of Walsh swearing at Carrigan.

Anyway, it's old news now and I'm acutely aware there's really no way to have a genuine debate about what happened because it's really about various NSW vs Queensland/anti-Bronco/anti-Walsh grievances, trolling, shitposting and all that good stuff. I don't have a dog in the race so I should probably keep out of it for my sanity.

Maximus

Coach
If I only read this description, sure - and you're right in fairness, that set of facts does make it quite easy to construct a narrative. If I then watched the video which shows the event I would become aware that this is not what occurred though, because it's a video of Walsh swearing at Carrigan.

Anyway, it's old news now and I'm acutely aware there's really no way to have a genuine debate about what happened because it's really about various NSW vs Queensland/anti-Bronco/anti-Walsh grievances, trolling, shitposting and all that good stuff. I don't have a dog in the race so I should probably keep out of it for my sanity.

But the video shows the exact scenario I described as well.

The video also shows his body language when he is swearing, and it certainly doesn't look like someone just calling his mate a merkin, it looks exactly the same as his body language when he got pissed off over the forward pass call.

yobbo84

Coach
Maybe we should lobby the NRL to not include the Dolphins game in his suspension like the Pennies did with one of their players in last years finals series....
I like it. The May precedent. He should be allowed to play Origin 3. It's what the fans want.

Coincidentally it'd mean he'd miss the following game vs the Rabbitohs, but that's OK.

Generalzod

Immortal

Didn’t act that way when playing at the Warriors, comes to the Broncos and acts like an entitled idiot.

Exsilium

First Grade
Didn’t act that way when playing at the Warriors, comes to the Broncos and acts like an entitled idiot.

I think it has a lot to do with his Rise to Origin and the media hype around him.

He better check himself before he loses the shine he has developed this year.

Pneuma

First Grade
If the NRL had done the correct thing and suspended Walsh after Origin this incident would not have happened and he may (unlikely) have learned a lesson. Either way he should be off the field for a few weeks so he can learn not to act like an entitled prick.

chrisD

Coach
His carry on all game was such that the NRL felt they needed to make a show of backing their refs.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Its a funny game RL, I declare I was a Broncos hater, but under Kevvie there is something to like about them. But the way I saw it Walsh was looking at the ref and said it to the ref.
He has shown time and time again he is a jerk and thats going to catch up with him.
He is lucky the punishment doesn't mirror junior RL or he would not be playing again this year

JamesRustle

First Grade
Farcical.

This sort of bullshit adds nothing to the whole "anti-Broncos conspiracy" thing. If anything it just adds fuel to the fire. The prosecution could not have f**ked up their case any more, and Walsh gets 3 games? It's a f**king laugh.

You've pissed yourself again...

He wasn’t helped by Titans rival and Maroons teammate Dave Fifita, who produced the Freudian slip of the night when he mumbled: “He (Reece) said to the ref … I mean Patty … the ref was behind him.”

This article sums up the whole Walsh case well -

Also, as I pointed out well up thread on Monday, regardless of whether Walsh directed his tirade at a team mate, an opponent, or the referee, he was still guilty of using offensive or obscene language on the field which, under the laws of the game, is still misconduct.

Exsilium

First Grade
You've pissed yourself again...

He wasn’t helped by Titans rival and Maroons teammate Dave Fifita, who produced the Freudian slip of the night when he mumbled: “He (Reece) said to the ref … I mean Patty … the ref was behind him.”

Imagine your legal team giving the recommendation to listen to several blokes who not only have a personal conflict of interest but take a brain beating every week.....