What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

Jim from Oz

Juniors
In a rare spot of good news for international RL, all the Pacific Cup and Bowl games, including the women's matches, appear to be on free to air on Channel Nine this coming weekend … will be interesting to see how they rate.

Perth Red

Post Whore
At this point, we might be better off with an annual 8 nations whilst the international game build, with other nations playing regional tournaments.
Disagree, I dont mind these formats, should all be competitive games. Be good to see kangaroos tour England and next year and do same agIn with to ga replacing Roos in the pacifc championship.

with only ten nations in the world cup now, stupid decision!, an 8 nations is basically a slightly cut down world cup which would be silly.

docbrown

Coach
Only in rugby league do people argue that international teams should play fewer games against each other.

Like I said the other day, in the Week 1 & 2 finals of the WC there was only 6 points max between Australia, New Zealand, England, Samoa, Tonga and Fiji. Samoa's scoreline in the final was only affected by the previous England game. PNG is also capable of coming close to a few of those sides too. The more regularly they play each other the better they'll all get

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Disagree, I dont mind these formats, should all be competitive games. Be good to see kangaroos tour England and next year and do same agIn with to ga replacing Roos in the pacifc championship.

with only ten nations in the world cup now, stupid decision!, an 8 nations is basically a slightly cut down world cup which would be silly.
We need to do something other than a World Cup every four years.

He'll, I'd even be happy with the return of the 4 Nations every year at this point. Although it'd have to be min 6 nations now with France guaranteed a spot. Maybe Aus, Nz, Eng, Samoa, Tonga, France and winner of the Pacific Bowl between PNG, Fiji and Cook Islands. I'd still prefer all 8 get locked in every year.

Last Week

Bench
Honestly, tours have a place.

Year 1 - RLWC (Southern Hemisphere to host)

Year 2 - Australia tour England.
France, Ireland, Italy, Scotland, Serbia and Wales play in a tournament with winner to qualify for the 4Nations.
Other nations organise their own matches.

Year 3 - 4Nations (Northern Hemisphere to host)
Other nations to organise their own matches.

Year 4 - England Tour NZ.
World Cup qualifiers.

Year 5 - World Cup (Northern Hemisphere to host)

Year 6 - England Tour Australia
Tonga, Samoa, Fiji, PNG, Lebanon and Cook Islands play a tournament with winner to qualify for the 4Nations.

Year 7 - 4Nations (Southern Hemisphere to host)
Other nations organise their own matches.

Year 8 - NZ tour England
World Cup qualifiers.
Other nations organise their own tours.

Rinse, swap around, repeat.

Last Week

Bench
Australia should win by about 40.

Samoa don't have a long kicking game anywhere near good enough, their edges will leak points, and Hunt again Grant will lay a run way out for the middles.

taste2taste

Juniors
Anyone know why Josh Schulster was left out of the Samoan team ? Seems like the obvious choice to fill in for Laui or at least give them a ball playing back rower.

I did a quick google search but couldn't find anything

Matua

Bench
pc23-cook-islands-mens-squad-4x5.jpg

Karmichael Hunt is the coach.

Coastbloke

Bench
International Tests sanctioned by the IRL under NRL Rules and Order interpretations. Probably no neutral Refs. Wonder who runs rugby league lol..

taste2taste

Juniors
Is the east coast media giving it much coverage And build up?
I saw the ch7 and ch 10 6pm news tonight, the league was the lead story, they had interviews with Munster and Tino. The other sports stories were Cricet WC, The Everest and the Eng V Aus soccer friendly.

I saw ch9 6pm news last night, the tests was the lead story and interview with Cotter.

I havnt seen any papers the last few days.

taste2taste

Juniors
Looks like the pacific championships will be played in front of abysmal crowds.

I wonder, if this series takes off and in 10 years time is played in packed stadiums we'll look back on these games the same way we look back at the first SOO game, which was played in front of 1,600 fans :D

Clarkent

Juniors

I wonder, if this series takes off and in 10 years time is played in packed stadiums we'll look back on these games the same way we look back at the first SOO game, which was played in front of 1,600 fans :D
Kiwis are playing Samoa in Eden Park and it'll be close to a sell out and the Kangaroos sets up a match in Townsville?? If they played it in Sydney at least it'll get a good crowd

taste2taste

Juniors
Kiwis are playing Samoa in Eden Park and it'll be close to a sell out and the Kangaroos sets up a match in Townsville?? If they played it in Sydney at least it'll get a good crowd
This Saturday looks like a crowd of 14k, half empty stadium. I wonder what would have happened if the game was in Parramatta?

I'm not sure how Eden park and Melbourne are selling ?

I think the comp has huge potential, but it might take Australians a while to warm up to it.

The best way to sell it is for the players to put on an incredible product.

Wb1234

Immortal

Tickets sales have been ok why they negativity

png will be 15k Townsville the same

decent enough