What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 - Oceania Tri-Nations (Pacific Championship)

Wb1234

Referee
That’s Bollox, the kangaroos in the 80’s were far more dominant and one sided games, yet the pinnacle of int rl was the late 80’s and early 90’s. Origin and Australian apathy killed int rl
England coming over for midseason tests and getting belted is what killed it

crowds were good until 2000 or so

Aussie get bored of playing England

Perth Red

Post Whore

crowds were good until 2000 or so

Aussie get bored of playing England
Eh? Gt Briatin never played an ashes series in Australis in the early 2000’s. England only played one game in australia in the early 2000’s in the World Cup 2008. Great crowd in melbourne for that by the way of 37k!

1994/95 was arguably the pinnacle for test RL in the modern era Then SL and int Rl became erratic and secondary to origin. nrls apathy to the kangaroos has just grown and grown since mid 2000’s.

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
Eh? Gt Briatin never played an ashes series in Australis in the 2000’s.
1994 was arguably the pinnacle for test RL. Then SL and int Rl became erratic and secondary to origin. nrls apathy to the kangaroos has just grown and grown since mid 2000’s.
Australia have toured England loads

Australian crowds lost interest in watching England cause they are crap

Perth Red

Post Whore
Australia have toured England loads

Australian crowds lost interest in watching England cause they are crap
That’s not what you said, you said England visiting australia, you’re talking Bollox as usual. Engalnd pkayed hardly any games in australia 2000-2017. 5 games in fact and only one of them a blow out.

37k in melbourne in 2008 would suggest your talking nonsense.

nrl fcking the int game over time after time and the fixation with origin is what suffocated the kangaroos interest and brand. Maybe they can learn something from women’s soccer lol

Wb1234

Referee
That’s not what you said, you said England visiting australia, you’re talking Bollox as usual. Engalnd pkayed hardly any games in australia 2000-2017

37k in melbourne in 2008 would suggest your talking box lol
England killed test match rugby league in Sydney

I was at the two games too

one would been a 70 point margin if australia didn’t apply the mercy rule

Perth Red

Post Whore

RedVee_8

Juniors
What years? I can’t find any tests v England in Sydney in the 2000’s? You sure you’re not thinking of the nz test in 2008 lol?

Weren’t they still using the Great Britain name then? I saw them at the SFS around 2006 ?, the game being Ben Hornby’s debut and the day the Willie Mason knocked out he opposing prop in a fight. That and Australia losing are about all I remember of the game.

I was at another game in the 80s, the one where Wally Lewis was booed as Captain and guys like Greg Cornescu played, I think Des Drummond got a try for GB.
I think we lost that one as well but I’m not sure now.

Brian potter

Bench
Weren’t they still using the Great Britain name then? I saw them at the SFS around 2006 ?, the game being Ben Hornby’s debut and the day the Willie Mason knocked out he opposing prop in a fight. That and Australia losing are about all I remember of the game.
hardly a fight when Mason clocked Stuart fielden when he wasn’t expecting it.
I was at another game in the 80s, the one where Wally Lewis was booed as Captain and guys like Greg Cornescu played, I think Des Drummond got a try for GB.
henderson gill.

Wb1234

Referee
So what year was the sfs one? You’re losing it mate!
Unlike you when I’m wrong I don’t shift the goalposts

I can’t remember if it was gb or England. I’m pretty sure it was a stand alone test and not a tri nations game

besides are you trying to argue England are actually competitive ? You know the actual Main point

Perth Red

Post Whore

Not according to this

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unlike you when I’m wrong I don’t shift the goalposts

I can’t remember if it was gb or England. I’m pretty sure it was a stand alone test and not a tri nations game

besides are you trying to argue England are actually competitive ? You know the actual Main point
Can’t find any record of a test at sfs v England or gt Britain in the 2000’s.

given the other one you went to wasnt even against england I’ll chalk this down to senility lol

no I’m arguing that you said the drubbings in australia in the 2000’s cost interest in the international game. This is Bollox as there was only one drubbing and shortly after it 37k turned out in melbourne to see Australia v England.

win losses we’ve generally been sht but actual score wise many games have been very competitive over the last 20 years.

Wb1234

Referee
So much for a "dud" Australian side.

The people who stayed away from this non-event made the right decision.
Kiwis and islanders always start off slow

should’ve been nz playing first against Samoa to warm both sides up and the Roos starting next week

18k is an excellent crowd probably would’ve got the same if it was in parramatta or Penrith and close to Samoan fans