What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Origin II - Wed 21 Jun - QLD 32-6 NSW @ Suncorp

Series: QLD v NSW

• Queensland

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • New South Wales

Votes: 15 40.5%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
I’d like to thank Luai. He’s United fans on both sides of the border who are all in agreement about what a f**king spanner he is.
Minus PenRiTh fans.

When Luai said that everyone had to go to work, no one worked harder yesterday than Penrith fans defending him.

side note - death threats are never ok and he didn’t deserve that. He’s still an eshay gronk knobhead though

mozza91

Coach
Minus PenRiTh fans.

When Luai said that everyone had to go to work, no one worked harder yesterday than Penrith fans defending him.

side note - death threats are never ok and he didn’t deserve that. He’s still an eshay gronk knobhead though
They don’t count.

King-Gutho94

Coach
I agree Murray should of been starting. NSW has been shown up as being old and slow, So lets bring in 33 year old Cody Walker

This is true, Afterall NSW lost because they didn't have their arms around each other during the anthems.
It's got me baffled why experts think Cody Walker would solve NSW problems in attack.

Fmd Freddy had to send a search party out for him on his debut back in 2019.

Then in 2020 he was in the halves that lost to the worst QLD team ever.

What his preliminary Final record 1/5 and he cant control his emotions when things heat up.

No thanks

bazza

Immortal
That though has been a selection mantra for the best part of 20 years if not longer. It's not something you could necessarily pin on Fittler alone. Heck even back in the early 1980s (iirc, it was 1983), it was part of a justification for selecting the entire Parramatta halves and three quarters for NSW with its fullback (Paul Taylor) the only one missing in the NSW line up for an origin game.
Besides Neil Hunt I think Ella, Cronin, Grothe, Kenny and Sterling were pretty much the top players in those positions at the time

Iamback

Coach
It's got me baffled why experts think Cody Walker would solve NSW problems in attack.

Fmd Freddy had to send a search party out for him on his debut back in 2019.

Then in 2020 he was in the halves that lost to the worst QLD team ever.

What his preliminary Final record 1/5 and he cant control his emotions when things heat up.

No thanks

My thoughts exactly, There is a reason the Penrith guys get picked.

NSW issue is no Tom or Latrell - Then no win. Freddy has no plan B

Valheru

Coach
Our halfback has been the Blues 7 for 5 years. Panthers have been both halves in 4 of those 5 years (Jimmy, Nathan and Jarome). It's hardly a new thing having NSW pin their hopes on the Panthers.

Nobody wants any Panthers in the team anyway. Nathan isn't an Origin player apparently and cops shit for every loss. He's basically hated by everyone who isn't a Panthers supporter. The 3x series he has won. The MOTM performances etc. Just change nothing. He's just Pearce 2.0 apparently.

They dont want Critter, To'o and Luai because they chose Samoa so they shouldn't play along. Along with the usual shit that they're not good enough.

Yeo is copping it that he's not a rep lock. Martin has copped it until this year too that he's shit.

Most people think these guys are just good club players and don't belong in rep footy. So im perfectly happy to see them focus on club footy. There's nothing to be gained by tgem playing. They've played in 3 grand finals, multiple origin and world cup games. They have big game experience and don't improve by playing Origin now. Only risking injury. Other players have more to gain.
To'o deserves to be there

The rest is completely correct.

Chimp

Bench
It’s a big cultural difference…. The QLD players, to a man, are proud proud QLDers… you see the pride in representing ‘their people’ in every single interview, you can see it in their actions on the pitch - they never give up on a play, whether that be supporting a speedster on their own team who’ve made a break, or chasing back even when it looks a lost hope - their number 1 priority is showing their fans that they’re making an effort, and every now and then, they’ll get a lucky bounce or action that rewards them for being there…
And it goes further, the QLD public therefore get even more behind their team - it’s self fulfilling.
QLD unite behind their team and their coach - they all love Billy, they all love their entire QLD team.
When was the last time NSW had a coach that everyone believed in and got behind? When was the last time NSW had a team that everyone in NSW liked/supported? Fitler isn’t particularly liked or respected by many, Daley the same, Stuart the same, Bellamy the same, Gus the same… the Panthers boys are disliked by everyone apart from Panthers fans, Gal was hated by everyone (despite clearly being a blue through and through), Pearce, Hayne, Joey, the list goes on and on of players who many NSW fans really struggled to support. It might seem like a small thing, but QLD having that absolute devotion of their fans, gives them that extra reason to work on every single play. The only time they’ve deviated away from having individuals who the whole state supported was Kevvie and Paul Green, and it didn’t go
well - they’re now back to appointing only people who their state are unanimously supportive of.
I pose this question - who could NSW appoint as coach that would receive universal support? I don’t think there’s a single person.
QLD could pick any of Slater, Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Mal, Bennet etc etc and they’d be given absolute, unrelenting support.
Now look at the NSW team - which players do you see oozing passion for the jersey and the NSW people? I see lots of players whose priority is themselves and their mates first; their club and heritage 2nd, not even sure where their state eventually lands in their priorities.

Bazal

Post Whore
It’s a big cultural difference…. The QLD players, to a man, are proud proud QLDers… you see the pride in representing ‘their people’ in every single interview, you can see it in their actions on the pitch - they never give up on a play, whether that be supporting a speedster on their own team who’ve made a break, or chasing back even when it looks a lost hope - their number 1 priority is showing their fans that they’re making an effort, and every now and then, they’ll get a lucky bounce or action that rewards them for being there…
And it goes further, the QLD public therefore get even more behind their team - it’s self fulfilling.
QLD unite behind their team and their coach - they all love Billy, they all love their entire QLD team.
When was the last time NSW had a coach that everyone believed in and got behind? When was the last time NSW had a team that everyone in NSW liked/supported? Fitler isn’t particularly liked or respected by many, Daley the same, Stuart the same, Bellamy the same, Gus the same… the Panthers boys are disliked by everyone apart from Panthers fans, Gal was hated by everyone (despite clearly being a blue through and through), Pearce, Hayne, Joey, the list goes on and on of players who many NSW fans really struggled to support. It might seem like a small thing, but QLD having that absolute devotion of their fans, gives them that extra reason to work on every single play. The only time they’ve deviated away from having individuals who the whole state supported was Kevvie and Paul Green, and it didn’t go
well - they’re now back to appointing only people who their state are unanimously supportive of.
I pose this question - who could NSW appoint as coach that would receive universal support? I don’t think there’s a single person.
QLD could pick any of Slater, Smith, Thurston, Cronk, Mal, Bennet etc etc and they’d be given absolute, unrelenting support.
Now look at the NSW team - which players do you see oozing passion for the jersey and the NSW people? I see lots of players whose priority is themselves and their mates first; their club and heritage 2nd, not even sure where their state eventually lands in their priorities.

QLDers are just mental tbh. Only WA is worse with their weird state obsession

Reflector

Juniors

Yes, when Qld win you see all these attributes. Wednesday night was the first time in at least 5 years the Maroons had the game sewn up with 10 minutes remaining. They’d developed a habit of wilting and losing by a big score when they got beaten up to then.

As for the attitude after they lose, then it’s player x/y/z needs to go or the coach needs to be sacked, just like the other mob.

And those names you mentioned would be given absolute unrelenting support because they played in great Qld teams and so the assumption is they’ll carry on the glory as coach. Kevvie Walters won his first two series as coach also, then the Qld public turned on him after that for some reason...

Oh well, he can show how wrong they were as he leads the Broncos to glory against those 16 other mobs...

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
Origin these days is just a cash cow for the NRL and Ch9.

Also pizza delivery restaurants. Huh, why doesn’t the NRL have sponsorship deal with Dominoes. Seems a natural fit seeing as pizza seems to be the food of choice for people watching the game.

Pneuma

First Grade
That’s a great post

I agree Murray should of been starting. NSW has been shown up as being old and slow, So lets bring in 33 year old Cody Walker

This is true, Afterall NSW lost because they didn't have their arms around each other during the anthems.

Greg Alexander said on NRL360 yesterday that they went with Cook in the centres over Murray as due to the injury he'd carried in the leadup to the game, they were worried him playing in the centres would exacerbate said injury. Maybe if then it says don't pick injure players in the first place.

Lebbo73

Bench
10.jpg
Racist

Lebbo73

Bench
Atleast I can take solace in the fact the spud that lost two series as coach to Freddy is now at the Broncos.
They could’ve left Daley as coach and he wouldn’t have lost those two series. QLD was in transition and NSW had some very good players at their peak both physically and skills wise.

Iamback

Coach
Greg Alexander said on NRL360 yesterday that they went with Cook in the centres over Murray as due to the injury he'd carried in the leadup to the game, they were worried him playing in the centres would exacerbate said injury. Maybe if then it says don't pick injure players in the first place.

He did look underdone.

I think they needed to take the risk because Murray is an important player

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
They could’ve left Daley as coach and he wouldn’t have lost those two series. QLD was in transition and NSW had some very good players at their peak both physically and skills wise.
Very nearly snatched game 3 in Sydney in 2019 too. With Moses Mbye at centre and Borey Norman at five-eighth ha

Lebbo73

Bench
I don't know why I'm still seething after last night. I knew we'd lose. It feels so played out and looks like we have no up and comers in the next few years.
No matter what happens in game 3, it will be a QLD party and we just have to eat shit again.
I'm so over the ch9 wank. QLD are deserved series winners and it will most likely be a maroon wash. I'm so over the almost reality show levels of dramatics when it comes to Tommy, Nathan and Latrell.
Where's the fight?
Where's the never say die attitude?
Where's the pride in our state?
I'm over hearing the legends talk about how NSW players have pride in the state but don't buy in more often than not.
Something has to change. It's unacceptable how this shit happens almost every year now.
I can’t see Lattell playing game 3 either. His calf must be worse than thought but he definitely isn’t a fan of playing for NSW. Maybe he can’t stand Fittler an especially Joey.

Frailty

First Grade
Our halfback has been the Blues 7 for 5 years. Panthers have been both halves in 4 of those 5 years (Jimmy, Nathan and Jarome). It's hardly a new thing having NSW pin their hopes on the Panthers.

Nobody wants any Panthers in the team anyway. Nathan isn't an Origin player apparently and cops shit for every loss. He's basically hated by everyone who isn't a Panthers supporter. The 3x series he has won. The MOTM performances etc. Just change nothing. He's just Pearce 2.0 apparently.

They dont want Critter, To'o and Luai because they chose Samoa so they shouldn't play along. Along with the usual shit that they're not good enough.

Yeo is copping it that he's not a rep lock. Martin has copped it until this year too that he's shit.

Most people think these guys are just good club players and don't belong in rep footy. So im perfectly happy to see them focus on club footy. There's nothing to be gained by tgem playing. They've played in 3 grand finals, multiple origin and world cup games. They have big game experience and don't improve by playing Origin now. Only risking injury. Other players have more to gain.
Cleary - is the first choice halfback for the Blues. That doesn't absolve him from criticisms that are thrown his way. Part of this is because the media's narrative about how great he is and will be. His kicking game for NSW has been poor, when it's a fairly strong point of his regular game. Part of this is because of his halves partner.

Luai - Not having a second strong general play kicker works at club level (look at Souths and Panthers), but in State of Origin it gets exposed very easily. Luai is a dynamic ball runner, and definitely had some impact, but his game doesn't suit being a starting half in Origin. He could have some use as the bench utility though (think of a Craig Wing type role).

Yeo - This is tough, because I really like Yeo's game. But Murray is the better lock IMO and would be more effective. Would Yeo be useful off the bench? I'm not really sure he would be. Unfortunately, sometimes good players miss out on Origin selection.

To'o - I don't know anyone who has suggested he shouldn't be playing. Strong starts to sets and generally a good finisher (if he gets the chance).

Crichton - Good club player, but not good enough for Origin. He probably would have been there anyway this year once it was decided that Campbell Graham was injured, and then add Latrell's injury.

Martin - I don't know where to sit with him. He does some great things (e.g. his line for his try in Origin I), but his output isn't really where it should be. Would like to see him a bit more active with the ball.

The reason the Panthers players cop it is because of a few different things - some of the players simply are not the best players available for selection, they default to Panther plays that aren't working or not as effective at Origin, they are a successful team (and that's just the nature of any success), and a few (not all) of the players' personalities are just seemingly unlikeable for most people.