What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Origin I - Wed 5 Jun - NSW 10-38 QLD @ Accor

Series: NSW v QLD

• New South Wales

Votes: 21 53.8%
  • Queensland

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saxon

Bench
Have to admit, I didn’t consider that and puts things into perspective. You‘re right. I was just thinking of the game (with its gradually declining ratings) as a spectacle
I guess I'm just looking at it as a fan who wants my State team to do well and to enjoy a game of footy without one of our best players being illegally rubbed out.
I'm sure V'landys and Channel Nein are seething that their multi million dollar spectacle was "ruined". And maybe some AFL fans won't be converted because it was a bit of a one-sided affair. But the responsibility for that lies squarely with the guy who put the hit on, and the coach who didn't have a plan or the right squad to adapt. Can't blame the ref.

Jesus, I can't believe I just defended Ashley Klown!

Saxon

Bench
Well, my point was many diehard QLD supporters I had around me didn't enjoy the game. 12vs13 for 70 mins doesn't matter who you select. I concede that QLD shouldn't be penalised for losing their fullback though, and there's really no good solution so better a sendoff I suppose.
I do see where you're coming from.

I don't know if there's a better solution though.
If I was T-Boon, maybe I'd suggest that perhaps the outcome should be:
Penalty + Su'ali'i on report + sinbin as a reasonable punishment. AND (to make it fair for QLD to be without Walsh for the remainder of the game) DCE could have been given the chance to remove any one player from the NSW team rotation.

So, for example, Joseph gets sent to the bin, QLD gets a penalty and DCE sends Teddy to the sheds so that NSW play the remainder of the game with 16 men.

Eelectrica

Referee
I do see where you're coming from.

I don't know if there's a better solution though.
If I was T-Boon, maybe I'd suggest that perhaps the outcome should be:
Penalty + Su'ali'i on report + sinbin as a reasonable punishment. AND (to make it fair for QLD to be without Walsh for the remainder of the game) DCE could have been given the chance to remove any one player from the NSW team rotation.

So, for example, Joseph gets sent to the bin, QLD gets a penalty and DCE sends Teddy to the sheds so that NSW play the remainder of the game with 16 men.
A simpler solution could be that the player gets sent and they’re a player short for 10 minutes. After that an interchange player comes on making it 13 V 13 again, but now they only have 3 players on the bench.

borisdog

Juniors
Madge in the press conference discussing the May hit on Walsh in round 3 that fractured his cheekbone and there not being a binning sums it all up really. They felt that they could take him out and at worst they'd get someone thrown in the bin or a penalty. It was such an obvious plan.
So obvious in fact that it had been done the year before.
Less damage last year, but very much a filthy cheap shot to a bloke on the ground. Who'd already been hit in the air defending a bomb. And earlier in the game also.
And the grub didn't even get binned.

blaza88z

Coach
I love how when NSW lose it's because they didn't select the right players. It's never because Queensland were better on the night. It's all down to dud selections. The people who wank on about the wrong team being selected are the first to say Queenslanders are dumb.

It begs the question.

If New South Welshmen are so smart, why are their selectors so much dumber than the ones from Queensland?

Nah you've got it all wrong, it's because Klein ruined the spectacle by sending off a NSW grub after knocking Reece Walsh out cold.

johnny plath

Juniors
A simpler solution could be that the player gets sent and they’re a player short for 10 minutes. After that an interchange player comes on making it 13 V 13 again, but now they only have 3 players on the bench.
I'm not a fan of this.. prefer straight send off.. but you just know with all the numptys in the media bleating it's inevitable. If it does go this way though I don't think 10 mins is enough.. it's basically just a sin bin for taking out a player.. has to be at least 20mins then a replacement I think.

Canard

Immortal
I'm not a fan of this.. prefer straight send off.. but you just know with all the numptys in the media bleating it's inevitable. If it does go this way though I don't think 10 mins is enough.. it's basically just a sin bin for taking out a player.. has to be at least 20mins then a replacement I think.
This sort of change would just encourage players to take out playmakers.

For some reason the Sydney fan base has just concentrated on the impact on NSW, ignoring that the team affected by the foul play.

isaiah

Bench
Memba’ when White put that halfback career ending grub Price to sleep?

Heart
Is that Steve Price? I only remember him as the man in the few years between Johns’ retiring and Thurston reaching his peak, was the greatest player in the game.