What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 PF Fri - Penrith 38-4 Melbourne @ Accor

Finals Week 3: Penrith v Melbourne

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 32 76.2%
  • Melbourne Storm

Votes: 10 23.8%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Frankus

Juniors
Gotta love the tall poppy syndrome for Penrith. FMD seems like every Courier Mail journo has jumped on LU after slurping down their daily dose of Kevies brogurt.

Apey

Staff member
Cleary is a good player but even at club level he is overrated. If he was out for the season you would still have Penrith being favourites for the comp and they don’t look like they lose a step without him. That just isn’t really true of the other great halfbacks.

Penriths team is just that f**king good and whilst most will scoff at this there are a bunch of halfbacks currently in the league who could slot in there and the team would be just as good.
Yeah a much lesser Cooper Cronk.

Danish

Referee
He won the Brad Fittler medal in 2020
Latrell hasn't played a game since the last series win in 2021. A few other poor selections has cost the side as a whole.

He was Man of the Match game 2 last year,

So that is series win in 2018
Series win in 2019
NSW Best player in a series loss in 2020
Series win in 2021
Man of the match game 2 2022...

That doesn't scream rep failure especially at such a young age. Throw in a World Cup win too

old mate is counting a series win when Chin man missed the decider…

Danish

Referee
Atleast you are fair,

Slater still has his series wins though in the same situation

you have to take part in both wins in my view, although I’ll make allowances if you only play in the decider but play an integral role e.g. Pearce’s match winning pass in 2019.

Similar to guys like Issac Luke not really being a premiership winner since he didn’t play in the GF. He was absolutely a member of a premiership winning side, but I would think it still eats at him that he missed the actual day

Iamback

Coach
you have to take part in both wins in my view, although I’ll make allowances if you only play in the decider but play an integral role e.g. Pearce’s match winning pass in 2019.

Similar to guys like Issac Luke not really being a premiership winner since he didn’t play in the GF. He was absolutely a member of a premiership winning side, but I would think it still eats at him that he missed the actual day

GF comparison is spot on. I see it as anyone that played in the series is part of it, mainly because even if you win 3-0 injuries and suspension always force changes across the squad

Danish

Referee
GF comparison is spot on. I see it as anyone that played in the series is part of it, mainly because even if you win 3-0 injuries and suspension always force changes across the squad

It’s a team achievement instead of an individual highlight. Cleary is a member of 3 origin series winning sides, he just hasn’t won 3 series himself.

the fact this also means I can take a series win off merkin Munster is great

Iamback

Coach
It’s a team achievement instead of an individual highlight. Cleary is a member of 3 origin series winning sides, he just hasn’t won 3 series himself.

the fact this also means I can take a series win off merkin Munster is great

Which was my point that he hasn't been a total dud, better team selections and a few of NSW guys would have a handy series win tally

Danish

Referee
Which was my point that he hasn't been a total dud, better team selections and a few of NSW guys would have a handy series win tally

he’s clearly the best halfback of his generation. Not his fault he has f**k all competition (slim pickings trying to find a great halfback under 30).

The easiest way to assess if he’s great is how many clubs would dump their current halfback for him. I’d argue at least 15, if not all 16 (brissy may want to keep Reynolds).

as for origin, the blues have been natural born losers for almost 20 years. Barely any NSW players can claim they’ve stood up and made a great account of themselves at that level

Saxon

Bench
I'm a Queenslander though I currently reside in NSW (purely work related) and haven't lived in Melbourne for over 15 years, so one of the main reasons I'm a Storm member is for priority access to finals tickets.
What a f*cking waste of money when I could get freebies to tonight's prelim because NSW fans can't fill Homebush. One can only imagine how pissed Panthers fans are. They could have had the game at the Riff, or at very worst just up the road at Parra.

blaza88z

Coach
Hughes is more important than Luai if they want to grub it up

I get what you're saying but you're missing one key element.

Hughes has a soft tissue injury, Luai is one arm twist away from it coming back out of the socket. What are you going to do? Give Hughes a free passage to the line and see if his calf pulls up short?

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Once again, Suncorp will be down to standing space only, while Accor is just about half full off the back of free tickets. That isn't an anomaly, it's a pattern.

Hey Pennies fans...

Fangs

Coach
NAS starting in the middle and avoiding Luai. Bit scared the Druitt boys will give him a tanning I reckon.