What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Trial Games

Decent team on paper.
I reckon most of the 13 will only get half a game. Halves will be replaced at half time for sure.
Does this mean Young is definitely with us?

Zoidberg

First Grade
Close to our strongest side. Hopefully we see some good signs in the first half before most of the are rested in the 2nd.

macavity

Referee
My thinking is that’s enough to actually screw us, but not so tragic so we still think there’s a chance (but there isn’t)

Yosh

Coach
Can't we just (for once) have a season where everything goes good for us? I think we've all truly experienced our share of the shithouse years for long enough now...
If everything does go well for us, we still finish 6th or 7th at best right? We are so far behind the top teams.

K-Man

Bench
We have the weakest back row and overall forward depth in the league by some margin, imo. And ultimately that's what is going to cost us this season. There's basically no strike power there at all. The Saifitis will punch it up the middle, Frizell will be solid but is waning and not very dynamic anymore, Fitz/Jones/Johns is a disaster, and Mann is Mann. Elliot is a good player to complement a good pack, but I'm not convinced he takes us to another level without more support. Croker and Thompson show promise. Hetherington is NRL standard, but not a game breaker.

I look at the new Tigers forward pack and think that's a team that beats us comfortably, which is very concerning. Hope I'm proven wrong, but calling it now that our new look spine won't actually be the real problem.

perverse

Referee
We have the weakest back row and overall forward depth in the league by some margin, imo. And ultimately that's what is going to cost us this season. There's basically no strike power there at all. The Saifitis will punch it up the middle, Frizell will be solid but is waning and not very dynamic anymore, Fitz/Jones/Johns is a disaster, and Mann is Mann. Elliot is a good player to complement a good pack, but I'm not convinced he takes us to another level without more support. Croker and Thompson show promise. Hetherington is NRL standard, but not a game breaker.

I look at the new Tigers forward pack and think that's a team that beats us comfortably, which is very concerning. Hope I'm proven wrong, but calling it now that our new look spine won't actually be the real problem.

It's honestly hard to identify an area of our team that doesn't have issues. It's almost like every recruitment decision we've made in the past 2 or 3 years has been a complete mess.

Burwood

Bench
I get the feeling Thompson will fire this year. If Mann gets the opportunity to play one position I think he’ll prove to have some worth in the side- he’s clearly not a star, but it wouldn’t be easy shifting between a combination of halves/fullback/hooker/centre/backrow/lock, often in the same game.

I want to see better use of the bench this year as well- AOB’s tactics have been poor since coming to the club. Hopefully now that Klemmer is gone and the likes of Croker and Thompson have had another full preseason, he shows a bit more confidence in the bench to do a job and not just come on for 10 minute cameos.

Old School

Juniors
Play Mann anywhere & you get the same result - complete mess! Has all the wrong instincts, when & where to pass, runs 40 metres sideways to gain 5, kicking is atrocious(see last weeks effort into the backs of 2 of his own team), gets pushed off too many times in defence. Tries hard I`ll give him that, but as I said just is not a footballer nor even a competent hole filler!

slotmachine

First Grade
I want to see better use of the bench this year as well-

AOB says he want to find a spot for Mann, Crossland and Gamble all in the 17, so use of the bench will be a train wreck.

perverse

Referee

AOB says he want to find a spot for Mann, Crossland and Gamble all in the 17, so use of the bench will be a train wreck.

Oh excellent. McDermott will be running the show in a few months then. Hopefully he doesn't have a hard-on for shit footballers too.

I've never seen someone so enthusiastically grab the rope when given enough to hang themselves before.

slotmachine

First Grade
The only way would be starting Mann at lock and having crossland and gamble on the bench.

Hopefully it's just for the trial and he hasn't completely lost his mind

Latest posts