What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
1. The Melbourne NRL FTA rating was higher than the Sydney AFL FTA rating. Considering both cities were neutrals in both grand finals that's a fair comparison.
Really enjoy your analysis and presentation.
. Melbourne was excellent
If ever there was an argument for a Perth team it was those Melbourne numbers. I think we can safely say that having your own team probably means that the exposure to said team means it is far more likely casual, or even very casual viewers are more likely to tune into big matches than if they don`t have a team and aren`t exposed, or certainly far less exposed, to the media coverage of having your own team engenders throughout the year.

docbrown

Coach
Really enjoy your analysis and presentation.

If ever there was an argument for a Perth team it was those Melbourne numbers. I think we can safely say that having your own team probably means that the exposure to said team means it is far more likely casual, or even very casual viewers are more likely to tune into big matches than if they don`t have a team and aren`t exposed, or certainly far less exposed, to the media coverage of having your own team engenders throughout the year.
Correct. I'm not saying that NRL will overtake AFL in Perth. That's not going to happen. But demographics are destiny. If you compare the 16-39s in Perth directly, the NRL actually had 60% of the AFL's 16-39 demo. Anyone who can't see that as a base to build off is an idiot.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors

Very good not brilliant
Your 2.2m figure stuck in my head, you were spot on with Syd 850/854, Brissy let you down 700/653 and probably Perth & Adelaide let down your affiliated states numbers 650/ 570. Melbourne wonderful numbers. As Frank said BVOD could be pleasantly surprising, I know my two sons were watching (and bloody texting Dad every five minutes) at their respective Uni`s on their laptops.

The_Wookie

Bench
Well I'm just doing a like for like comparison but I think the NRL would be extremely pleased with the Melbourne and Perth 16-39 figures. That's where future growth comes from and you'll likely see it continue on as Gen Alpha ages too.

Id think they would be pleased, Id also think thats the benefit of the night grand final coming in to play.

wain

Juniors
The good thing about grand finals is that you get a great sample size. I think the NRL would be a little bit underwhelmed with the Brisbane numbers given the Broncos form to date. However, here's some positive points for NRL:

1. The Melbourne NRL FTA rating was higher than the Sydney AFL FTA rating. Considering both cities were neutrals in both grand finals that's a fair comparison.

2. Adelaide NRL had 33% of the AFL rating and Perth NRL had 42% of the AFL rating. Again - considering neither has a team that's a good base for future expansion. There's clearly a latent interest there.

3. The NRL's youth FTA demos (16-39s) are typically much better than the AFL's.
Sydney (26.1% to 19.8%)
Melbourne (28.9% to 24%)
Brisbane (20.6% to 18.4%)
Adelaide (18.2% to 19.6%)
Perth (23.5% to 17%)

Keep in mind that youth demos now also favour other formats than FTA - BVOD or subscription etc. I'd actually argue that the NRL youth demos are even a bit higher than that. That's a really good sign for the future.
thanks for this...was about to look at AFL ratings to compare these exact 3 things you did :)

Living in enemy territory of Adelaide, I always like seeing how places like Adelaide and Perth fair. Perth's rating were really great, but unsurprising...definitely showing the potential there.

Melbourne's ratings are great as always. Like someone else said previously...shows the growth that's occurred through the Storm. It also probably shows the strength we have via the Polynesian market. AFL's strength in Syd and Bris is the amount of migration to those areas, particularly from Vic. Our strength in growth markets like Melb/Perth/Adelaide can certainly be the Polynesian community who are fans, or ripe for the picking from Union.

However, I thought Adelaide's ratings were amazing considering the lack of effort and presence shown to anything but AFL. I had four local mates text me last night during the game, knowing Id be watching. They were all giving updates, so were obviously watching too. Possibly a nice bonus from having no other sport on a Sunday night in prime time!

It's also excellent to see the youth demos. I was surprised last week when someone posted the Morgan polls that it showed in favour of AFL for the young market...when these sort of results often show the opposite.
NRL does a lot wrong unfortunately, but NRL media presence on social media is next level. The stuff I see from NRL, Dolphins, but particularly Broncos is outstanding! As a primary school teacher, its so obvious the importance of making an attachment when kids are young. Port Power is an excellent example of doing it well. They are impressively more active in connecting with the young fans...cos they need to be to compete with the Crows. I feel the ratio of Crows to Power fans coming through schools now is nowhere near as one-sided as ten years ago. In places like Bris/Syd, its a way to make sure the Melbourne migration of AFL fans can stop with the parents. :)

While Bris ratings are underwhelming, we normally get decent regional ratings for Broncos matches due to the Queensland country pop, soi Im hoping that boosts us up a bit!

docbrown

Coach
Id think they would be pleased, Id also think thats the benefit of the night grand final coming in to play.
20 years ago I'd agree with you but it's 2023. People have a range of non-FTA viewing/entertainment options to choose from. Hence why FTA is in its dying stages. Even boomers can't be relied upon to tune in as casual FTA viewers any more just because it's 'prime time', let alone 16-39s. People were tuning in to these games because they're events.

Anyhow the AFL has already had two later grand finals. Was the uptick in rating averages as massive as you thought it would be? It was marginal at best. And that was during Covid with people more confined to home on a Saturday night against, frankly, crap on FTA. NRL last night went up against 7 & 10's regular counterprogramming like My Kitchen Rules. AFL grand finals on a Saturday afternoon go up against repeats of MASH.

Times have changed. People need to abandon their old notions of how television works.

Edit: I'll just add this for AFL fans. The pressure for the AFL to shift to a night time grand final isn't so much about ratings - it's about Channel 7 being able to charge more for their ad spot rates.

The_Wookie

Bench
20 years ago I'd agree with you but it's 2023. People have a range of non-FTA viewing/entertainment options to choose from. Hence why FTA is in its dying stages. Even boomers can't be relied upon to tune in as casual FTA viewers any more just because it's 'prime time', let alone 16-39s. People were tuning in to these games because they're events.

Anyhow the AFL has already had two later grand finals. Was the uptick in rating averages as massive as you thought it would be? It was marginal at best. And that was during Covid with people more confined to home on a Saturday night against, frankly, crap on FTA. NRL last night went up against 7 & 10's regular counterprogramming like My Kitchen Rules. AFL grand finals on a Saturday afternoon go up against repeats of MASH.

Times have changed. People need to abandon their old notions of how television works.

Edit: I'll just add this for AFL fans. The pressure for the AFL to shift to a night time grand final isn't so much about ratings - it's about Channel 7 being able to charge more for their ad spot rates.

I think theres a small ratings uptick - but not as big as some would have us believe - but concur with the rest.

docbrown

Coach
I think theres a small ratings uptick - but not as big as some would have us believe - but concur with the rest.
I'd say the bigger factor now is which teams (markets) are playing and the perception of whether it will be a close game or not. I just find it interesting for all the talk about hypotheticals, AFL fans still like to cling to this particular hypothetical.

Status
Not open for further replies.