What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

colly

Juniors
If and when an 18th team is added there will be a revisit on TV rights and costs, Abdo stated such.Whereas ATM the AFL has currently an 18 team competition and that in itself is advantageous.
It does not have a NZ team ,so from an Australian marketing/sales/TV perspective the value for an overseas team is naturally less than for a Oz team.That stands to reason, also when drawing comparisons.
AFL's deal goes from 2025 to 2031 inclusive(7 years) .NRL current deal finishes end 2027 ,4 years earlier than the AFL one.Again not comparing apples with apples.But an opportunity to up the TV deal ante next contract .
Did 10 and Paramount bid on the NRL ? Did ch7 cherry pick wanting only SOO ? 9 was prepared to have AFL games.
There is a 4 year start (2028 )on the AFL, when the NRL next deal kicks in. That opens the door for 10 and Paramount giving competitive tension ,which no doubt the AFL had for their new deal ,and where the NRL in 2020/2021 did not.
IOW we can bang our collective heads together on what we shoulda got ,but drawing comparisons with the AFL is not apples with apples.No 18 teams, no foreign team, representation in 3 states and ACT, and whether we like to admit it or not ,AFL have a lot more high profile sponsors ATM.And finally the contract time factor.
That's my rant .
You can get competitive tension using Nine FTA and Nine/STAN against 10 FTA and 10/paramount deal while we will charge fox a motza if they want to keep the Super Saturday. accounting figures

Wb1234

Immortal
You can get competitive tension using Nine FTA and Nine/STAN against 10 FTA and 10/paramount deal while we will charge fox a motza if they want to keep the Super Saturday. accounting figures
If stan bid the least we get is 550 million pa
If paramount also bid we will crack 600 million

they will be renegotiating at a time of record tv ratings which beat every other sport

taipan

Referee
Waiting for obligatory @Perth Red response:

" well, they can afford to be going backwards can`t they ??" :):)

If they(AFL )are as world class as managing themselves according to Miller ,they would have done a better research job investigating the impact of new teams Ala Giants and Sunburns in territory that is not exactly AFL laden and in the case of the Giants where there is already a popular AFL team the Swans.
And let's face it the Swans on FTA in Sydney draw disappointing ratings for a team here since 1982( 40 flipping years).And BTW having the assistance acknowledged by Swan's people the SL war.
It was and is hard enough for the Storm in Melbourne ,but they did not have another NRL club already in situ.And the Storm rarely crack FTA in Melbourne.

Nerd

Bench
If they(AFL )are as world class as managing themselves according to Miller ,they would have done a better research job investigating the impact of new teams Ala Giants and Sunburns in territory that is not exactly AFL laden and in the case of the Giants where there is already a popular AFL team the Swans.
And let's face it the Swans on FTA in Sydney draw disappointing ratings for a team here since 1982( 40 flipping years).And BTW having the assistance acknowledged by Swan's people the SL war.
It was and is hard enough for the Storm in Melbourne ,but they did not have another NRL club already in situ.And the Storm rarely crack FTA in Melbourne.
In the next TV deal FTA NRL games shown live into Melbourne must be non negotiable. If the FTA channel want to talk the value down on this condition call their bluff and remind them that Lions and Suns games combined get about a third of Broncos games yet the AFL still get record deals.

Also don't start me on this more minutes bullshit. If that were the case test match cricket would be pulling in more money than the NFL which it most certainly isn't. The NRL is the number 1 football code in the country based on TV ratings and it's time they were paid accordingly.

Start the competitive tension now by leaking photos of V'Landys leaving the Ten/Paramount offices. Can you imagine the noise from advertisers fleeing Nine and Fox if they lost the NRL to Ten/Paramount. I can 😁

Wb1234

Immortal
In the next TV deal FTA NRL games shown live into Melbourne must be non negotiable. If the FTA channel want to talk the value down on this condition call their bluff and remind them that Lions and Suns games combined get about a third of Broncos games yet the AFL still get record deals.

Also don't start me on this more minutes bullshit. If that were the case test match cricket would be pulling in more money than the NFL which it most certainly isn't. The NRL is the number 1 football code in the country based on TV ratings and it's time they were paid accordingly.

Start the competitive tension now by leaking photos of V'Landys leaving the Ten/Paramount offices. Can you imagine the noise from advertisers fleeing Nine and Fox if they lost the NRL to Ten/Paramount. I can 😁
Great posts thumbs up

Fox losing the nrl would give me joy for super league

I actually think they couldn’t survive on afl

I just can see fox letting rugby league ever go

Actually I think Fox will fight tooth and nail to keep NRL coverage. It is one of the main drivers of its subscriptions, unlike AFL, as AFL prior to Foxtel's creation had more games covered on FTA than rugby league did. Even now live, Channel 7 still show all AFL games live, even if they are shifted to one of its other digital channels (correct me if I am wrong). So Foxtel losing AFL coverage would unlikely make a big dent in its subscriber base, but with it having 5 games of NRL exclusively on it, it would make a big dent in its subscriber base if they lost its broadcasting rights.

Marlins

Juniors
I
Actually I think Fox will fight tooth and nail to keep NRL coverage. It is one of the main drivers of its subscriptions, unlike AFL, as AFL prior to Foxtel's creation had more games covered on FTA than rugby league did. Even now live, Channel 7 still show all AFL games live, even if they are shifted to one of its other digital channels (correct me if I am wrong). So Foxtel losing AFL coverage would unlikely make a big dent in its subscriber base, but with it having 5 games of NRL exclusively on it, it would make a big dent in its subscriber base if they lost its broadcasting rights.
I agree. What might push this deal up and certainly the next will be if Nine pushes hard for an exclusive game (9th). Especially with ratings through the roof, now would be the perfect time to say hey we’re putting in an 18th team. Every thing seems primed for it.

Iamback

Coach

They are live in Melbourne currently.

As for the more minutes thing. The cricket example is poor. They got $200m for less then 20 days of content... not sure anyone can argue it is a bad deal for them?

If you work 30 hours a week and do the same job as someone who works 40. Do you expect the same pay? Actually in this case it is 60% less content.

I hate AFL as much as the next person but they have half of the country, provide more advertising revenue so of course will get more

Vibing

Juniors
They are live in Melbourne currently.

As for the more minutes thing. The cricket example is poor. They got $200m for less then 20 days of content... not sure anyone can argue it is a bad deal for them?

If you work 30 hours a week and do the same job as someone who works 40. Do you expect the same pay? Actually in this case it is 60% less content.

I hate AFL as much as the next person but they have half of the country, provide more advertising revenue so of course will get more
They had the same ratio of content to ours in the last deal
it was
416 Mill for them
360 Mill for us , Australian broadcasters

theirs went to 643 Mill
ours to 380 Mill Australian broadcasters

we got dudded on any measure & the content argument doesn't stack up.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Waiting for obligatory @Perth Red response:

" well, they can afford to be going backwards can`t they ??" :):)
Well yes with $900mill revenue, set to top $1billion in 2025) they can lol. Those clubs arent costing much more than some of their heartland clubs.

Also did you miss the Politis piece about the NRl needs more content and Perth and Adelaide? He knows the bigger the metro reach (even if its just perception) the more money you make. We need a 20 team comp with Perth and Adelaide in it by 2033.

Wb1234

Immortal
Well yes with $900mill revenue, set to top $1billion in 2025) they can lol. Those clubs arent costing much more than some of their heartland clubs.

Also did you miss the Politis piece about the NRl needs more content and Perth and Adelaide? He knows the bigger the metro reach (even if its just perception) the more money you make. We need a 20 team comp with Perth and Adelaide in it by 2033.

Iamback

Coach
They had the same ratio of content to ours in the last deal
it was
416 Mill for them
360 Mill for us , Australian broadcasters

theirs went to 643 Mill
ours to 380 Mill Australian broadcasters

we got dudded on any measure & the content argument doesn't stack up.

As I said earlier in the thread, They work up to $643m a year. That is what they get in 2031. That is adding 3% inflation each year.

The NRL too will also go up each year, That is how they can afford to have the salary cap rise every year.

Iamback

Coach
Our Deal should be currently around the 570 Mill mark , based on their increase

The $643m includes Telstra money for AFL. So take $50m off that.
Add 30% to the $380m for NRL to allow for inflation.
Becomes $500m in 2031. If Rumours are true that TV is $550m for AFL in 2031.

Not far between considering less games etc

Vibing

Juniors
As I said earlier in the thread, They work up to $643m a year. That is what they get in 2031. That is adding 3% inflation each year.

The NRL too will also go up each year, That is how they can afford to have the salary cap rise every year.
no
their deal is worth 4.5 Billion over 7 years , so they get 643 mill PA from 2025
Our deal is worth 2 billion ..odd.. over 5 years , deal ending in 2027
they're the hard numbers
our deal should have been in the vicinity of 2.8 Bill to be in line with their increase

Wb1234

Immortal
The $643m includes Telstra money for AFL. So take $50m off that.
Add 30% to the $380m for NRL to allow for inflation.
Becomes $500m in 2031. If Rumours are true that TV is $550m for AFL in 2031.

Not far between considering less games etc
Take 150 million off for Telstra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts