What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 TV/Fox/Streaming Ratings

Status
Not open for further replies.

docbrown

Coach
I am a footy fan and I don't watch the pre game garbage.

Having a 24 hour League channel a long pre-game is to be expected on FTA though, People will just turn on later
Dedicated fans will but casuals might find something more interesting and not come back. This would be my experiment. Start a Thursday match at 740pm but with an extended half time. 10 minutes is just enough for channel surfers to cycle and then come back. Even more so with a kickoff timer. You’d add an extra 50 to 100k nationally depending on the match quality but across the overall broadcast. If the match is competitive they’ll stick through to second half even if half time is extended. Channel 9 are just giving casuals too much time to flip.

Iamback

Coach
Dedicated fans will but casuals might find something more interesting and not come back. This would be my experiment. Start a Thursday match at 740pm but with an extended half time. 10 minutes is just enough for channel surfers to cycle and then come back. Even more so with a kickoff timer. You’d add an extra 50 to 100k nationally depending on the match quality but across the overall broadcast. If the match is competitive they’ll stick through to second half even if half time is extended. Channel 9 are just giving casuals too much time to flip.

The problem is the cost to broadcasters they need to sell the ad space that the extra 30 mins brings

docbrown

Coach
The problem is the cost to broadcasters they need to sell the ad space that the extra 30 mins brings
If you can increase the overall viewer ratings you can make up the difference by increasing your ad spot prices through the rest of the game. As well as increase half time by 5 to 10 minutes once people are hooked by the first half.

Look at the Thursday game in Melbourne. ACA 180k, Pre-Match 83k and the game itself 61k.

In that half hour you lost 120k for the actual game coverage. Even if 100k weren’t interested in NRL, 22k were interested enough in the pre-match but then got bored and didn’t follow through. The numbers would be greater in Sydney and Brisbane for casual viewers. I’d argue Channel 9 are shedding about 100k casual viewers each Thursday and Friday because people tune out during the waffle.

Diesel

Referee
9 are their worst enemy, people switching to Fox/Kayo because of their coverage, then on Thursday they start the game at 8, automatically losing viewers that are primary school level or early shift workers. Shift it back to 7:40 as @docbrown suggested and a win for then to increase advertising revenue

Wb1234

Referee
I am a footy fan and I don't watch the pre game garbage.

Having a 24 hour League channel a long pre-game is to be expected on FTA though, People will just turn on later
I can watch five minutes of fox

channel nine are just annoying

we need a new fta broadcaster their coverage is horrid

Wb1234

Referee
If you can increase the overall viewer ratings you can make up the difference by increasing your ad spot prices through the rest of the game. As well as increase half time by 5 to 10 minutes once people are hooked by the first half.

Look at the Thursday game in Melbourne. ACA 180k, Pre-Match 83k and the game itself 61k.

In that half hour you lost 120k for the actual game coverage. Even if 100k weren’t interested in NRL, 22k were interested enough in the pre-match but then got bored and didn’t follow through. The numbers would be greater in Sydney and Brisbane for casual viewers. I’d argue Channel 9 are shedding about 100k casual viewers each Thursday and Friday because people tune out during the waffle.
Fair point

The_Wookie

Bench
Nines ratings are up – Metro 5 City traditional tv ratings on Thursday and Friday were up 5.1% on 2021, while Nine happily trumpeted the highest BVOD numbers for a regular season match ever on Thursday.

Foxtel set top box ratings over the weekend were outstanding, with 4 matches reaching higher than 300,000 viewers, with matches across Thursday, Friday and Saturday averaging 286,000 – up nearly 16% on last year. While we dont have a lot of data in terms of Kayo viewing yet, its likely that Fox Group ratings will be averaging well over 500,000 per game if last years trends hold.

And all this without the heightend interest that comes with a new team playing on Sunday. Those afternoon figures could be collosal for both broadcasters.

Wb1234

Referee
Bravo

can you please be a rugby league journo

I would read your articles

Iamback

Coach

The issue is FTA coverage is losing viewers across the board, They extend the pre game they can catch viewers that 'forget' to change the channel in time.

Remove the waffle and Netflix just is turned on quicker for those casuals

Pneuma

First Grade
Opening game got more than the dolphins

shows benefit of storm and how poor the roosters are on tv ?
Sunday afternoon ratings are usually a lot lower than any other fta slot. Yesterday was comparatively much bigger than usual. Ratings and crowds on the weekend overall were very positive.

Super (lol) Rugby
RankDescription (grouped)Channel\Network(r) 5 City MetroSydneyMelbourneBrisbaneAdelaidePerth
SUPER RUGBY PACIFIC 20239Gem71,00022,00015,00024,0003,0008,000
Anybody else noticed it was the Super Rugby version of Magic at the weekend?

At least I think it was. I've been getting YouTube recommendations. Looks a complete damp squib. That might be an insult to damp squibs.

Status
Not open for further replies.