What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Crowd Watch

Vee

First Grade
My q
Does anyone have any theories why crowds have grown so quickly?

Games are better to watch live with the 6 again rule, games are more open. Pre 6 again games had fewer ' get out of your seat' moments.

Larger crowds lead to fomo, seeing a packed stadium makes people want to attend.

Besides those 2, I'm struggling to think why crowds have risen so quickly ?
My question is how crowds are peaking in a cost-of-living crisis.

I guess it points to the increasing difference btw the Haves and the Have-nots.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Gee, f*cking huge crowd at Accor watching two foundation NRL clubs play their last game of the regular season isn’t it? You couldn’t possibly fit anymore people in there if you tried…

Contrary to (anticipated) popular opinion, I think this crowd (~20k) has landed in the "passable" range for the following reasons:
1. This game is being held at Accor Stadium and not Allianz Stadium
2. The South Sydney faithful (inc me) have clocked out of Accor Stadium
3. South Sydney was third last on the ladder coming into this game
4. The last time these two teams played, South Sydney lost 48-6

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
Multi factorial growth
better stadiums for some
success for others
better membership programs for some
dolphins admission
news ltd not bagging the game at every opportunity
nrl marketing doing a better job
talk of More expansion creating positive vibes
love it or hate it some players being hyped into superstars (gets the kids interested)

long may it continue, so close to Dave smiths 20k avg vision at long last!

ps I do think there is a post covid bounce. For example The live music and comedy venues I go to are crammed, much more packed than pre covid. Considering we are supposed to be in a cost of living crisis people seem to be willing to spend on getting out the house at the moment.
Post covid world wide crowds have jumped ..not just nrl

Your point about the merch is a good one … but I think you have been headline reading if you honestly believe the Maggies and Balmain are “uncoupling “…

WT are last for the third year in a row … yet have sold out their last game of the season … and others throughout the year … is this something you think they ( both entities and the NRL) should be effing around with ?
The subject of possible traction for a Tigers NRL franchise in SEQ was in question form.

If Campbelltown is the future of Wests, would local support be affected by the choice of Magpies over Tigers?

Likewise, whether "The Tigers" are based in South-East Queensland or South-West Sydney may be of little consequence to those fans who attend a few games each year in their Balmain jerseys. Either way, this is patently no longer the same club for whom Laurie Nichols used to shadowbox.

Balmain have nothing. No money, no prospects, nothing. If they leave wests they're dead in the water.
Isn't this precisely the point though?

The Balmain component of the merged entity is more or less nominal. Other than history, all they bring is the name "Tigers". Which seamlessly blends with the identity of Brisbane Easts. Who just happen to be the club best placed to play an integral role in creating the next NRL franchise in SEQ.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The subject of possible traction for a Tigers NRL franchise in SEQ was in question form.

If Campbelltown is the future of Wests, would local support be affected by the choice of Magpies over Tigers?

I can only offer an opinion …The Magpies have not played in the top comp for 25 years now… so you would need to be 35 at the youngest to have been a fan of the old Magpies when they were around …. There is a sizeable part of the fan base that have only known the Wests Tigers …not the Magpies

Isn't this precisely the point though?

The Balmain component of the merged entity is more or less nominal. Other than history, all they bring is the name "Tigers". Which seamlessly blends with the identity of Brisbane Easts. Who just happen to be the club best placed to play an integral role in creating the next NRL franchise in SEQ.
Balmain bring there own fans ..so it’s more than just a name that they offer …. I don’t know if they just transition over to following the Brisbane Easts Tigers who play their games 1,000km away…. I think you would find that a lot would give the game away…