What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 FW1 Fri - Penrith 30-10 Sydney @ BlueBet

Finals Week 1: Penrith v Sydney

• Penrith Panthers

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Sydney Roosters

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 3 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Valheru

Coach
Him running into Luai on the Edwards break amused me as well. 10 points for commitment to the cause ha ha.
The thing about that one and I know you will disagree with me... Luai didn't move at all BUT Edwards ran around him so at that point he can't be in the way of any defenders. Keary milked it absolutely but if they score on that play it gets called back IMO.

Valheru

Coach
Sandon Smith had a mare.

Kicking was no good. And the foot into touch at the PTB was the icing on the cake.

The other kicker (Keary) was awful as well. Even managed to throw in some dissent. Not what you want from your senior players.
You can not judge Sandon on anything that happens this finals series.

He will rightly be judged on next season .

soc123_au

Staff member
The thing about that one and I know you will disagree with me... Luai didn't move at all BUT Edwards ran around him so at that point he can't be in the way of any defenders. Keary milked it absolutely but if they score on that play it gets called back IMO.
I honestly dont know how it would have gone in bunker bingo. Not that that really means much as far as correct decisions go.

I think it was fine as as you said Luai doesn't move. Also when Keary initiates contact they are behind the ball. A player behind the ball is entitled to be anywhere behind it as they are onside and in position to be involved in the play.

Edwards is entitled to run where he did, it wasn't even close to a Shepard, I don't see that there is any rule that he broke. It was an odd one and the reality is the pathetic Roosters defence on the kick chase is why the situation unfolded as it did. Keary taking that option was he knew he was gassed and no getting near Edwards, worth a shot I guess.

It's a shame Edwards knee wasn't right, if it was he gets there I reckon and we could have all got the bingo cards out to see what the bunker came up with.

soc123_au

Staff member
You can not judge Sandon on anything that happens this finals series.

He will rightly be judged on next season .
Agree with this, it was always going to be a huge ask at his level of experience. His pack let him down badly too, Sitilli, Wong and Whyte had a crack, the rest were invisible.

Spencer was very disappointing, the game was pretty much gone by the time he came on but he barely fired a shot. I saw you credit him somewhere about shifting momentum, but that was all Klown. It was a pissweak effort by his standards.

Valheru

Coach
Agree with this, it was always going to be a huge ask at his level of experience. His pack let him down badly too, Sitilli, Wong and Whyte had a crack, the rest were invisible.

Spencer was very disappointing, the game was pretty much gone by the time he came on but he barely fired a shot. I saw you credit him somewhere about shifting momentum, but that was all Klown. It was a pissweak effort by his standards.
Harsh on Spencer IMO. As you said the game was gone. Him, Whyte and Wong had a good crack and the Ascendancy in the middle hehe they were on. Agree on sitilli, the only starting forward that can hold his head up.

Klein is what he is... He could literally not be in a better position for that forward pass call and still gets it wrong. Game to game penalties come in clumps.

We just needed to be better in the first half, as simple as that.

soc123_au

Staff member
Harsh on Spencer IMO. As you said the game was gone. Him, Whyte and Wong had a good crack and the Ascendancy in the middle hehe they were on. Agree on sitilli, the only starting forward that can hold his head up.

Klein is what he is... He could literally not be in a better position for that forward pass call and still gets it wrong. Game to game penalties come in clumps.

We just needed to be better in the first half, as simple as that.
8 runs for 70 meters and 1 tackle bust is way below par. He did hold his own defensively though which I thought would be somewhere we would exploit. I guess the need wasn't there at that point.

Watson had a dig too, but not starting ZDC and bringing Watson off the bench was costly I think. Still a 9 although a forward isn't really going to make much difference on the part we are talking about. Collins, Butcher and Angus should have walked home.

Legit question but given both Luai and Keary were behind Edwards when the contact occurred can Keary be considered a defender?

I mean, having obstructions from people standing behind the ball would open up a minefield. Appreciate that at some point Luai was in front so that might change things.

Valheru

Coach
8 runs for 70 meters and 1 tackle bust is way below par. He did hold his own defensively though which I thought would be somewhere we would exploit. I guess the need wasn't there at that point.

Watson had a dig too, but not starting ZDC and bringing Watson off the bench was costly I think. Still a 9 although a forward isn't really going to make much difference on the part we are talking about. Collins, Butcher and Angus should have walked home.
Yeah Watson tackled to a stand still, definitely we should start ZDC next game and have Watson come on after 20.

Valheru

Coach
Legit question but given both Luai and Keary were behind Edwards when the contact occurred can Keary be considered a defender?

I mean, having obstructions from people standing behind the ball would open up a minefield. Appreciate that at some point Luai was in front so that might change things.
My understanding is that if you run around someone you bring them in to the play.

I don't think being behind them matters. If it was half a metre behind that doesn't exclude obstruction. Perhaps in this case the bunker would have said he had no legit chance to get to him

mxlegend99

Referee

Nah. It was another professional foul. Keary tackled Luai without the ball and stopped him being a support player on a linebreak.

Keary loves a professional foul.

Latest posts