What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Preseason and Draw discussion thread

Last Week

Bench
Round 15 v Roosters, who come off the bye.
Round 17 v Knights, who come off the bye. So do we.
Round 18 v Souths, who come off the bye.
Round 24 v Roosters, who come off the bye.
Round 25 v Broncos, who come off the bye.
Round 27 v Tigers, who come off the bye.

Didn't we raise this issue this year when we had 4 out of 5 games against teams coming off byes? Seriously, f**k the NRL.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Round 15 v Roosters, who come off the bye.
Round 17 v Knights, who come off the bye. So do we.
Round 18 v Souths, who come off the bye.
Round 24 v Roosters, who come off the bye.
Round 25 v Broncos, who come off the bye.
Round 27 v Tigers, who come off the bye.

Didn't we raise this issue this year when we had 4 out of 5 games against teams coming off byes? Seriously, f**k the NRL.
I think we asked very nicely if they could consider not disadvantaging our team as they did last year to which they replied "yeah, na" to which we replied, "ok, thanks for your consideration".

Last Week

Bench
Tally of matches each team has where their opponent had the bye the week prior.

Bulldogs 6 (3 times in a row between rnds 11, 12, 13) (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Cowboys 6 (2 of which also had bye the week prior) (every game they play between rounds 14 - 21 is against teams coming off byes...)
Eels 6 (1 of which also had bye the week prior) (3 in 4 weeks between rounds 15 and 18, then another 3 between rounds 24 - 27)
Storm 4 (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Penrith 4 (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Broncos 3
Canberra 3 (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Souths 3 (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Tigers 2
Sharks 2
Dolphins 2
Titans 2 (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Knights 2 (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Roosters 2 (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Warriors 2 (1 of which also had bye the week prior)
Dragons 1
Manly 0

In order of no lube to lubed.

Last edited:

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
Its simple, the eels hierarchy are a bunch of soft cocks too scared to rattle the cage, and the biggest soft cock is the coach who wants to be the nice guy and keep his own reputation in case he needs another job, than to stand up for his players....

King-Gutho94

Coach
What was the record of teams coming off a bye and winning last year.

I feel it's a bit overrated tbh.

We can whinge about the start of last season but all those bar the Roosters game in that first month we should have won but we pissed away through stupidity, Goal Kicking, crucial sin bins at wrong times.

On paper it wasn't ideal but how the games panned out had nothing to do with the bye.

Gronk

Staff member
I found this from the Daily Mail. They prolly stole it from someone else but..

LINK

BRISBANE

Top-four opponents - 5, top-eight opponents - 10, five-day turnarounds - 1, free-to-air matches - 13, teams off the bye - 2

Travel to Penrith in round three to try to avenge last season's grand final heartbreak and are no longer the team with the most free-to-air games, with South Sydney swiping their long-held crown.

CANBERRA

Top-four opponents - 5, top-eight opponents - 11, five-day turnarounds - 1, free-to-air matches - 7, teams off the bye - 2*

Will need to wait until round 21 to face favourite son-turned South Sydney recruit Jack Wighton. Spared playing either of last year's grand finalists twice.

CANTERBURY

Top-four opponents - 7, top-eight opponents - 12, five-day turnarounds - 0, free-to-air matches - 6, teams off the bye - 5*

Face teams fresh from the bye in three consecutive weeks between rounds 11 and 13. Face five of last season's top eight twice but only one of those is a top four side.

CRONULLA

Top-four opponents - 5, top-eight opponents - 9, five-day turnarounds - 2, free-to-air matches - 10, teams off the bye - 3*

The big winners out of the draw, facing only one of last year's top-four twice but playing all of the bottom four twice.

DOLPHINS

Top-four opponents - 7, top-eight opponents - 12, five-day turnarounds - 2, free-to-air matches - 11, teams off the bye - 2

Don't have to leave Queensland until round seven but are the only team playing in all three rounds when State of Origin players are unavailable.

GOLD COAST

Top-four opponents - 7, top-eight opponents - 13, five-day turnarounds - 1, free-to-air matches - 5, teams off the bye - 1*

Have the fewest free-to-air games of any Australian-based side. New coach Des Hasler meets former side Manly twice, in rounds seven and 20.

MANLY

Top-four opponents - 6, top-eight opponents - 12, five-day turnarounds - 0, free-to-air matches - 10, teams off the bye - 0

The only team that has both no five-day turnarounds and faces no teams off the bye. Won't have the chance to host former coach Des Hasler until July.

MELBOURNE

Top-four opponents - 6, top-eight opponents - 12, five-day turnarounds - 3, free-to-air matches - 12, teams off the bye - 3*

The hard luck story, facing all the other top-four sides from 2023 twice and playing 12 of a possible 14 games against 2023 finalists.

NEWCASTLE

Top-four opponents - 7, top-eight opponents - 11, five-day turnarounds - 1, free-to-air matches - 12, teams off the bye - 1

Have five more free-to-air games than last season and host the first game in Australia, a Thursday night clash with Canberra in round one.

NORTH QUEENSLAND

Top-four opponents - 6, top-eight opponents - 12, five-day turnarounds - 1, free-to-air matches - 10, teams off the bye - 4*

Struggled away from home in 2023 but only have to leave Townsville twice after round 17. Avoid trips to Auckland and Melbourne in another boost to improving their away record.

PARRAMATTA

Top-four opponents - 7, top-eight opponents - 13, five-day turnarounds - 3, free-to-air matches - 12, teams off the bye - 5*

After famously struggling against teams off the bye early in 2023, the Eels face three sides with fresh legs in the final four weeks of the season. Have the equal-most five-day turnarounds.

PENRITH

Top-four opponents - 5, top-eight opponents - 10 , five-day turnarounds - 3, free-to-air matches - 13, teams off the bye - 3*

A tough start to the season as was the case in 2023, meeting Melbourne, Brisbane and the Sydney Roosters inside the opening month, as well as Parramatta, their Kryptonite in recent seasons.

SOUTH SYDNEY

Top-four opponents - 7, top-eight opponents - 13, five-day turnarounds - 1, free-to-air matches - 14, teams off the bye - 2*

No side has more free-to-air games and on 19 occasions they have a break of seven or more days, more than any other side.

ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA

Top-four opponents - 6, top-eight opponents - 11, five-day turnarounds - 1, free-to-air matches - 8, teams off the bye - 1

The unlucky side to miss out on Magic Round this season. New coach Shane Flanagan faces former side Cronulla twice, with the home game hosted in Wollongong.

SYDNEY ROOSTERS

Top-four opponents - 6, top-eight opponents - 10, five-day turnarounds - 2, free-to-air matches - 13, teams off the bye - 1*

A tough trot to begin things, playing five clashes against last season's top four teams in the opening 10 weeks, without a bye in that period. Face bitter rivals South Sydney twice, in round three and the weekend before finals.

WARRIORS

Top-four opponents - 4, top-eight opponents - 11, five-day turnarounds - 1, free-to-air matches - 4, teams off the bye - 1*

The easiest run of last year's top four, facing only one top four team in the opening 10 weeks. Don't have a five-day turnaround until round 24 and a bye in the last week gives them the perfect platform to launch into finals.

WESTS TIGERS

Top-four opponents - four, top-eight opponents - 11, five-day turnarounds - 3, free-to-air matches - 8, teams off the bye - 2

A meeting with former halfback Luke Brooks isn't scheduled until round 25 but they'll host it at spiritual home Leichhardt Oval. Start with the bye and again face Penrith in Bathurst, the scene of last season's biggest upset.

*Does not include instances when the team themselves are also coming off the bye.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Yeah. Im thinking Chooks at Allianz.
I was thinking Souths at Allianz was more down your alley Gazza in Indigenous Round.

It was a great night last season the pre-game entertainment, dancing & light show.

Seeing souths fans walk to the exits with 8 mins to go when Will Penisini scored to make it 36-16 as the Parra chant got going around Allianz in the final 5 mins.

Me and my mate kicked on towards Surry Hills afterwards to around 2am in the morning. Was a great night.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I was thinking Souths at Allianz was more down your alley Gazza in Indigenous Round.

It was a great night last season the pre-game entertainment, dancing & light show.

Seeing souths fans walk to the exits with 8 mins to go when Will Penisini scored to make it 36-16 as the Parra chant got going around Allianz in the final 5 mins.

Me and my mate kicked on towards Surry Hills afterwards to around 2am in the morning. Was a great night.
Yeah. Either or KG. Im keen to compare Allianz. Cheers.

King-Gutho94

Coach
It's funny you say that, cos I was filling my diary yesterday and saw this. Every venue was filled except for ..

View attachment 81762
Waiting on the A-League GF and who hosts it.

90% chance it will be Allianz - Souths have said so in there club statement.

The Rabbitohs will play at least nine home games at Accor Stadium, with another home game – Indigenous Round in round 12 – to be played at either Accor Stadium or Allianz Stadium, depending on stadium availability due to the potential for the A-League Grand Final to be played at either venue.

I think Souths want to make it a yearly event where they take 1 game to Allianz in Indigenous Round i suppose we seem to be the lucky ones to be the opponents.

I suppose if we keep smashing them down there they might have to find a new opponent.

King-Gutho94

Coach
we play melbourne at magic rnd. that just as bad as going to melbourrne
No its not.

We beat Storm at Suncorp last time we played them there in 2021.

AAMI Park is a shithole, Melbourne weather is cold and miserable. And the scum rarely lose there.

Melbourne have lost there last 2 magic round clashes as well.

Glenneel

Bench

Like the Broncos should have anything to complain about.

They literally had 3 games in Sydney last season. Had an extra 2 games at Suncorp got Souths at the Sunshine Coast, us at Darwin.

They will probably still get 15/16 Friday night games.
What are Brisbane complaining about? That they only get 20 home games (anyway more home games than any other team) plus have a regular Friday night game almost every week. Whingers, imagine them getting our draw. Can guarantee that that will NEVER happen to Brisbane.

Glenneel

Bench
Ultimately, there is no price that can be put on an important 2 competition points. The club has to make decisions that are in the best interests of the team and the club as a whole. There is certainly no guarantee that we win any of those Darwin games at Commbank either, although I agree our chances are probably better.
I'd assume that the club is taking the stance to move the one game to Darwin and take the NT's money, in the hope that we come home with both the cash and the 2 points.
Isn't it up to the team and coaching staff to ensure that happens? How, if we lose, is it JS's fault?
Game should be played in June/July not April as too hot there and any team other than Qld teams.