What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Rabbitohs Rumors, Signings and News

But how many games did Cook and Walker miss last season through injury?
No Madge wouldn't put up with that, but if your remember, the players starting getting the jack of him and his "overworking", and they finished 12th and 12th before he was punted. And then suddenly there was a resurgence to 5 prelim finals in a row.
But I don't dispute what you say that the culture is bad now. I just don't think we, or the media, know exactly the reasons. Sure Latrell has got a lot to do with it, but I think with him, its more about the lack of effort and focus he seems to be putting in, and his team mates are picking up on that, and getting the jack of it.
I don't think you can say Cody has a lack of focus or effort, from last year - he looks like he wants to win every game, and gets the shits when they are losing. This year, apathy seems to have set in.
Regardless, I think we've seen enough games to know he ain't a fullback, there's at least 7-8 full backs in the comp who are better at the full back position than he is playing in the last 12 months. He's been told how to fix his deficiencies, such as positional play in attack and defense, backing up a runner through the middle, kick return carries etc etc. He just seems unable or unwilling to fix these deficiencies up.

Correct

handyman2190

Bench
In a few interviews cookie said that the older brigade had leg injuries and that they were running on old legs, to me that is a deafeatist attitude and a bad mindset, that they think they are getting too old and expect dispensations,cookie and cody both developed calf injuries, but its their mind and fitness in question i feel, now recruitment, id like to know what is being done to replace the largest in the pack,burgess, i bet nothing, shos going to move up? Brock gray? I dont see us replacing the best prop we have, this travesty is going to bite us next year as well,mark my words, the training and even those camps that they showed us were a travesty, no hard slog ,canoing and bullshit

Last edited:

themacemaceman

Juniors
But how many games did Cook and Walker miss last season through injury?
The same could be said about Adam Reynolds.
No Madge wouldn't put up with that, but if your remember, the players starting getting the jack of him and his "overworking", and they finished 12th and 12th before he was punted. And then suddenly there was a resurgence to 5 prelim finals in a row.
But I don't dispute what you say that the culture is bad now. I just don't think we, or the media, know exactly the reasons. Sure Latrell has got a lot to do with it, but I think with him, its more about the lack of effort and focus he seems to be putting in, and his team mates are picking up on that, and getting the jack of it.
I don't think you can say Cody has a lack of focus or effort, from last year - he looks like he wants to win every game, and gets the shits when they are losing. This year, apathy seems to have set in.
Regardless, I think we've seen enough games to know he ain't a fullback, there's at least 7-8 full backs in the comp who are better at the full back position than he is playing in the last 12 months. He's been told how to fix his deficiencies, such as positional play in attack and defense, backing up a runner through the middle, kick return carries etc etc. He just seems unable or unwilling to fix these deficiencies up.
I do agree mate.
I guess Wayne is just a really special coach. He knows when to pull the whip, when to let the boys have a bit of reign. And it comes down to each individual players and what they respond to. Some respond to the hard coach , some switch off.
I’ve seen it in my line of work many times. New manager comes in and some good employees turn shit, and some shit employees turn good. I think it’s the same in football only in this situation more turned to shit than got better.

doyen

Bench
"Waltzed out"?
How did he do that?
Two step? Double shuffle?
He didn't leave of his own accord, but you are entitled to your own deluded opinion.
Walked out,wal
"Waltzed out"?
How did he do that?
Two step? Double shuffle?
He didn't leave of his own accord, but you are entitled to your own deluded opinion.
Sam either walked out,waltzed out or was kicked out--as I said; JD was against Sam's appointment from the start---was Sam white-anting JD for a while--he lost his contract there anyway---it was not the first time Sam had been shown the door ;albeit about a different contract !!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Walked out,wal

Sam either walked out,waltzed out or was kicked out--as I said; JD was against Sam's appointment from the start---was Sam white-anting JD for a while--he lost his contract there anyway---it was not the first time Sam had been shown the door ;albeit about a different contract !!
But the thing is that, it seems to us outsiders, that most if not everything Sam said has turned out to be true and spot on.
If JD has a paranoia and insecurity issue, that his problem, not Sam's.
Sam could see our wingers, except for AJ, have been shit for years.
Paulo, Mansour, Milne, Kennar. He could have delivered a quality winger (Dom Young), at bargain basement price, and JD got all insecure, and said no.
And it's not only Sam. John Morris also spoke out. He got flicked as well. Now look how it's panned out - the Tigers D has improved leaps and bounds, JD took on our D coaching role, despite the club telling him he should bring in someone, and how's that worked out? We got the worst D in the League right now.
And Eddie Farrah got the sack. Why? Because Latrell whined that he "wasn't being looked after" while he spent 10 weeks out with injury. And how did that work out? The new team stuffs up the Campbell Graham diagnosis, and now he's out for the season.
Sounds like JD doesn't wanna listen to anyone. Not the players, not the captain, management. No one.
Ok, if that's the case, then he can't blame anyone when it all turns to shit. Latrell needs to be moved from fullback to centre. If JD won't do it, someone else needs to be brought in and make that decision.

Hellray

Juniors
Has anyone watched Dom Young play for the Roosters? I’m not sold on being a big miss. Every team targets him in the air, he has horrible hands and gets smashed and loses the ball a lot in tackles. And his defensive reads aren’t of high quality either.

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Has anyone watched Dom Young play for the Roosters? I’m not sold on being a big miss. Every team targets him in the air, he has horrible hands and gets smashed and loses the ball a lot in tackles. And his defensive reads aren’t of high quality either.
Yes, I get that.
But it is a new club, new schemes etc.
You need to look at his role at the Knights as well.
Look, honestly I only bringing it up for two reasons:
1. It just underlines how bad the recruitment has been when we can't find someone better than Paulo, Mansour, Milne, Kennar, and now it seems we have possibly one of the slowest backlines in the league. Couldn't anyone see that coming? We been saying here for at least two years.
2. It highlights the disconnect between the assistant coaches (Burgess, Morris) and the coach. Instead of them working together, it seems there's insecurity and paranoia.

I'm not really worried about Young. I'd rather we start seriously looking, and spending money on forwards. But again, here, the recruitment has been non-existent.
Lets just look at who we moved, and who we recruited/developed. Help me out here if I miss any names:
Gone: Su'a, Knight, George B, Nicholls, Hame Sele, Cartwright, Suluka-Fifita, Rodwell and Amone failed to develop.
Gained: Host, Arrow, Havili, Chee Cam, Keppie
Developed: Moale, Keon, Shaq
I mean, just this, without mentioning the retirements, shows how bad the recruitment has been, and isn't a surprise why our pack is one of the worst in the league.

Who answers for this?

Walked out,wal

Sam either walked out,waltzed out or was kicked out--as I said; JD was against Sam's appointment from the start---was Sam white-anting JD for a while--he lost his contract there anyway---it was not the first time Sam had been shown the door ;albeit about a different contra

Yes, I get that.
But it is a new club, new schemes etc.
You need to look at his role at the Knights as well.
Look, honestly I only bringing it up for two reasons:
1. It just underlines how bad the recruitment has been when we can't find someone better than Paulo, Mansour, Milne, Kennar, and now it seems we have possibly one of the slowest backlines in the league. Couldn't anyone see that coming? We been saying here for at least two years.
2. It highlights the disconnect between the assistant coaches (Burgess, Morris) and the coach. Instead of them working together, it seems there's insecurity and paranoia.

I'm not really worried about Young. I'd rather we start seriously looking, and spending money on forwards. But again, here, the recruitment has been non-existent.
Lets just look at who we moved, and who we recruited/developed. Help me out here if I miss any names:
Gone: Su'a, Knight, George B, Nicholls, Hame Sele, Cartwright, Suluka-Fifita, Rodwell and Amone failed to develop.
Gained: Host, Arrow, Havili, Chee Cam, Keppie
Developed: Moale, Keon, Shaq
I mean, just this, without mentioning the retirements, shows how bad the recruitment has been, and isn't a surprise why our pack is one of the worst in the league.

Who answers for this?

Great post your dead right by high lighting all of what you mentioned gee whiz we have lost a few very good players and we recruited very very poorly and development was poor also.

themacemaceman

Juniors
If you look at the team we had in rd 9 against the broncos last year we still have most of those players. We smashed the Broncos 32-6.

Only 2 of these blokes have left the club
There were plenty of experts saying South’s were the team to beat after that game.
So I’m not so sure it’s all recruitment.
We had pretty much the same team only now we have has the emergence of Munro and Tallis
Ricky Stuart made a comment years ago that has stuck with me. He said they can all play football . In the end it’s all about effort, attitude and Desire or words to that effect.
We had the effort, attitude and desire until the middle of last year. Now we don’t. There’s a person in charge of effort, attitude and desire . His name is Demetriou
The team was as follows against Broncos rd9 2023
Latrell
AJ
Tass
Stretch
Milne
Cody
illias
Arrow
cook
Sele
Chee Kam
Host
Murray

Tatola
cartwright
Moale
Burgess

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member

I want JD gone now. Like, right now. I am sorry to say that because I wished more than anything that it all worked out with him, and he was our ten-year coach. He's a really nice guy, no issues with him personally, and I actually feel a bit sorry for him. But the reality is, he's not the man for the job. Not anymore. I can understand the club backing him for a bit to some degree, but the time has come to cut ties. His position is untenable, and we just cannot carry on the way things are.

Why give him one more game? What does one more game do? If we win, we can't really sack him, so it just delays everything because he'd be sacked a few weeks later anyway. One game isn't going to change anything. The situation has already become clear. Sack him and do it now.

I'm not sold on Hornby as an assistant, but that's what will happen.

In terms of who we bring in, Bellamy would be my number one pick, but that is simply living in fantasy land. It will never happen. The next-best option is Bennett and that's what I'd be going for. I'm all for it, he is more than capable of pulling us out of the position we're in at the moment and managing all the personalities. In fact, I think he's the only one who may be capable of doing it, so I think it has to be him. I honestly reckon one Off-Season with Wayne could fix it and I think he'd hopefully have us back into Premiership contention with the roster we have.

It's a quick fix, but it's what's needed right now.

callmack1

Staff member

Good. This has to happen, and it should have happened a long time ago. No more 'Mr Nice Guy' from the club. It's time to get hard on him. He's constantly let his teammates down, let the club down, and let us fans down. Enough is enough.

I love Latrell as much as anyone and I want to see him become the greatest player of all time, I'm just at the stage that I think a lot of us, and even the club, are at. I'm sick of the constant soap opera around him and I'm sick of him doing sweet f**k all on the field. It's time for change. If he responds to it, great, if not, well then, he can bugger off.

Can't believe I'm saying that because I love him so much, but this is the stage it's gotten to. Just over it and something needs to be done.

For once, I agree with Gus.

Latest posts