What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 Squad List

krispykebab

Juniors
Maybe Liddle is worth a shot at 7
Nah I don't see that happening, we're either going to go big and bring someone in from the superleague or bring someone back like jackson Hastings or even a jack cogger from the knights to caretake the position till we nurture one of the juniors coming through to take the position. I don't really see anyone at the moment who is a standout though.

TheRev

First Grade
The priority of a hooker signing depends on whether mulheisen is still on the nose... I feel like we will know the answer to that in coming weeks.

I still think we will be chasing a fullback, if we can jag a real one who's sitting in reserve grade such as grey from Souths.. Then I think we would.. But I realise it's unlikely. For me it depends if mat feagai is a legit fullback for the year,cause right now we have a winger who is on the out as our cup fullback.. To be fair we have hfinau as our cup hooker also.. Also a worry..

Basically I think we need both of these signings... just a matter of which we can sign first, hooker probably easier with someone like paix or brailey potentially an easy buy.

krispykebab

Juniors
Look at who we have and who is coming into the top 30 next year ...
We are basically two recruits away from our top 30 next year provided we can re-sign those we want to keep.

Assuming we keep Su'A/Francis Molo/Tamale the only other two off contract we are likely to keep around are sloan (if he goes ok in first 10 rounds) and one of JDB/MMolo .. the rest are gone and already replaced. Except for three

Marschke - i expect we replace him with Amone
Turner - i expect we pick up a hooker this year
Mat - who we should replace with a fullback

That means goodbye to Max Feagai/Eisenhuth/BMM/Russell/Tuitavake as well.
Marschke has much greater upside than Amone and I would have him above Mulheisen as well who hasn't really done anything either.

TheRev

First Grade
I think Marschke will be re-signed, certainly in front of Glover/Ralph.. he seems like he has really impressed at training, and I reckon if he gets a chance he could be our longterm 6 or 14...

2025 we have a bunch of kids coming in.. on top of our current crop of kids.. with Egan (2nd row), Halangahu (2nd row), Tonga (Prop), Stanley-Traill (Prop), Stewart (Prop) and Dev contracts to Nick T (2nd Row), Latu (Prop).

Honestly on top of the Couchman(s), and Fifita and Tui and MMolo and Coric and Shereb and Ackers.. fmd.. so many baby faced forwards... we need some of those kids to evolve fast this year, we cant carry too many rookies in our 30+6.

And we need some room for halves and backs etc.. a fullback for example... and we must surely be chasing some marquees still.. guys like Manu etc.. we missed AFB and that 'alpha dog' window might now be closed.. cause there is no point chasing props for 2026.. by that point we hopefully have some of our own emerging.

Right now this is all hypothetical, if we lose a stack of games.. it will change everyones perspective on our roster.

hook hook

Juniors
I think Marschke will be re-signed, certainly in front of Glover/Ralph.. he seems like he has really impressed at training, and I reckon if he gets a chance he could be our longterm 6 or 14...

2025 we have a bunch of kids coming in.. on top of our current crop of kids.. with Egan (2nd row), Halangahu (2nd row), Tonga (Prop), Stanley-Traill (Prop), Stewart (Prop) and Dev contracts to Nick T (2nd Row), Latu (Prop).

Honestly on top of the Couchman(s), and Fifita and Tui and MMolo and Coric and Shereb and Ackers.. fmd.. so many baby faced forwards... we need some of those kids to evolve fast this year, we cant carry too many rookies in our 30+6.

And we need some room for halves and backs etc.. a fullback for example... and we must surely be chasing some marquees still.. guys like Manu etc.. we missed AFB and that 'alpha dog' window might now be closed.. cause there is no point chasing props for 2026.. by that point we hopefully have some of our own emerging.

Right now this is all hypothetical, if we lose a stack of games.. it will change everyones perspective on our roster.
Given the volume you would think a few excel and develop early. The couchmans held their own last year, plus there are plenty of clubs that blood teenagers, the broncos always seem to have an 18-20 year old forward cracking first grade. We are always hesitant to blood anyone though

Victoire

Juniors

Turner may have been well down the list in our halves, but nevertheless, he was in our halves depth chart. Now it's just Hunt-Flanagan-Marschke. So while it would be nice to upgrade our bench hooker position with that available spot (someone like Paix or Woolford), it leaves us a bit short in the halves, especially at origin time. It's a conundrum

kit66

Bench

Turner may have been well down the list in our halves, but nevertheless, he was in our halves depth chart. Now it's just Hunt-Flanagan-Marschke. So while it would be nice to upgrade our bench hooker position with that available spot (someone like Paix or Woolford), it leaves us a bit short in the halves, especially at origin time. It's a conundrum

I don't think we would have used him in firsts unless all other options were out injured, including Bird and even Sloan in the halves. The Rovers will be his 4th club at only 23 years old and it's ESL already for him. Not really in Flanno's plans obviously so make space for a new signing or to promote a junior. Bit of a desperation signing in the first place.
I wish him all the best though, hope he finds some form over in the Blighty.

kit66

Bench
If Townsend is on the outer with the Cows I'd be happy to grab him for this year, he'd solve our depth in the halves and hooker issue instantly. Him to 7, Hunt to 6, Kyle to Hooker rotation.
Chad's a terrific little player and has worked with Flanno - obviously - and his stats are still mighty impressive - in his 2 years at the Cows he had 32 try assists, 31 forced dropouts and averaged over 420 kicking metres a game.

hook hook

Juniors

Paix would be a good option. Only moved to hooker when cracking first grade was always a half

maestro1

Bench
Connor Watson can't get a start in the roosters 17 as Robbo has kept Sandon Smith as his no.14 (Sandon Smith is excellent). We should investigate Watson's availability. Also Terrell May is just what we need. But somehow I can't see the Roosters letting Watson or May go.

There are some excellent players that can't make the Roosters 17.
+ Angus Chrichton
+ Connor Watson
+ Ethan Butcher
+ and one of Suailili or Tupou can't make their backline.

Some seriously fantastic depth at Robbie's disposal.

TheRev

First Grade
Turner was fullback depth also, beyond Matt Feagai (a winger) there is noone.. its why I rly think we need to chase a 1st grade ready fullback to play cup (if such a guy can be extracted for 2024), who can also put pressure on Sloan.. if that fullback can cover 5/8 also.. bonus.. but its also possible Flanno would look to promote Glover into the vacant position.. but no idea if hes any good.. Ill be surprised if he is.. I think Marschke & then Bird then desperation after that is our injury plan.

There also needs to be a development slot open for King-Togia and/or Reed at some point in the next 2yrs.. so we cant buy more fillers.. future purchases need to be guys who can strengthen 1st grade.

Last edited:

Victoire

Juniors
Turner was fullback depth also, beyond Matt Feagai (a winger) there is noone.. its why I rly think we need to chase a 1st grade ready fullback to play cup (if such a guy exists), who can also put pressure on Sloan.. if that fullback can cover 5/8 also.. bonus..
True. Connor Tracey might have been that guy for us, but he chose the Dogs... and he's not even in their 17 this week

TheRev

First Grade
True. Connor Tracey might have been that guy for us, but he chose the Dogs... and he's not even in their 17 this week
that one killed me man.. sweet-talked by gus... could have been a walk up start into Dragons 1st grade with a coach he probably knew from cronulla, but he and about 6 others are now sitting in the canterbury reserve grade system instead..

I mean Tracey might still take the jersey when he comes back from injury.. but then there will be 2 or 3 others unlucky to miss out...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The Tigers have 3 gun halves and with Luia joining in 2025 so Saints can go for one of either Fainu, Galvin or Sullivan. Saints can sit back and see how they handle a full season of NRL in 2024 and then pounce on one of them for 2025. At least 1 will be squeezed out when Luia joins. They also have Doueihi who will come back from injury and if he finishes the season on a high and clear of any long term effects to injury, may be a solid option. He will be 26 so pretty good age. Keep away from Chad Townsend. He is coming to the end of his tenure and should look to ESL to extend his career.

From the Warriors they have Te Marie Martin who is not listed in the starting squad and may be interested in a quick move or Luke Metcalf off contract in 2025. With Harris-Tevita signing till 2026 one of these 2 may be on the outer.

The other is Dean Hawkins at Souths. Lachlan Illias is the key here. If he goes well, Hawkins could look to get out. He has been a star in the lower grades and is chomping at the bit to play NRL fulltime.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Tigers have 3 gun halves and with Luia joining in 2025 so Saints can go for one of either Fainu, Galvin or Sullivan. Saints can sit back and see how they handle a full season of NRL in 2024 and then pounce on one of them for 2025. At least 1 will be squeezed out when Luia joins. They also have Doueihi who will come back from injury and if he finishes the season on a high and clear of any long term effects to injury, may be a solid option. He will be 26 so pretty good age. Keep away from Chad Townsend. He is coming to the end of his tenure and should look to ESL to extend his career.

From the Warriors they have Te Marie Martin who is not listed in the starting squad and may be interested in a quick move or Luke Metcalf off contract in 2025. With Harris-Tevita signing till 2026 one of these 2 may be on the outer.

The other is Dean Hawkins at Souths. Lachlan Illias is the key here. If he goes well, Hawkins could look to get out. He has been a star in the lower grades and is chomping at the bit to play NRL fulltime.
I can see that there are many options which you have been able to provide Slippery. I can sense that given this is Flanno's first year as head coach after a long lay off as that figure head, he will be patiently working on the good, bad and the ugly of our current squad and weaning out the bad and then looking for improvements in recruitment if needed subject to how some of the juniors go this year.

The main thing is that Flanno will be putting players in positions that will benefit the team and will during the year work out where players can improve and what can be done to achieve a more a successful squad of players for the future.

I can see that Ben Hunt is getting back his enthusiasm which will rub onto the others. He and Kyle will be a formidable combination in the halves and Sloan will become more confident with his attack and defence. Liddle will be dynamic as the first choice hooker so the spine will have a lot going for it. Lomax is a team player and he will benefit and so too the team with him on one wing. He will be training to take the bombs to the corner by Kyle and Hunt and take the long cut out passes to him.

I would rather play in a team that can win games and being put into a different position by the coach to be able to make the difference from losing to winning I would be happy with.

BLM01

First Grade

No to Sullivan or Martin.. the rest yeh interesting

TheRev

First Grade
we didnt sign his family for laughs
Do you know much about Viliami or Tyrone Amone? I think both are props, but haven't been in the conversation with the dragons side of things with Pasifika-Tonga, Stalney-Traill, Stewart, Latu who have been ear-marked. Meafou must be having conversations also... tough middle with footwork, and a team captain.. thats all the boxes ticked.