What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2024 World Club Challenge

snickers007

Juniors
The other major issue I see and the main reason I hate the idea, what if Mitch gets knocked clean out in the first tackle of the game. Does Jack Cole play 80 mins in the middle?? That would be bad.

That might just be the opportunity that Nathan Cleary has been waiting for. He could still be one of the great hookers!

Then Cole and Luai play HB & 5/8

mxlegend99

Referee
Unless Mitch Kenny gets knocked out in the first minute of a game.

It’s really important bench spot to be messing with.
We need for that player to be able to play 80mins in the middle.

That happens and we are even more f**ked if Luke is on the bench. There goes any direction in attack or defence. Id back us to do better with a half covering 9 for 80 minutes than Luke. Luke is a liability in his 10 minute cameos ffs. Sommerton could do a better job for 80 at 9 than Cole or Schneider. Obviously.

Though that same logic (getting knocked out) easily applies to Cleary. He gets knocked out in the first minute. We are basically screwed if we have no half option on the bench.

Cole covers more positions than Luke or Sommerton. Schneider also provides better cover across spine IMO. They would do a better job at 9 than the hookers would in the halves. We just need a guy who can make his tackles and get the ball to Cleary or Yeo.

I rate this:

1. Edwards
6. Luai
7. Cleary
14. Cole / Schneider

As better than this
1. Edwards
14. Sommerton / Luke
6. Luai
9. Kenny

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thankfully Ivan plans for finals and origin with his teams. Ivan will get some game time in to anyone he thinks could feature in important positions come finals time. They wont just be thrown to the wolves.

maple_69

Bench
Ivan has come up with some pretty left field guys to fill that 14/17 role over the last few years. Kenny was manufactured into someone that could cover hooker/lock/middle, Salmon was a reserve grade 5/8 manufactured into an edge/backs cover guy. Hosking became our centre/edge cover for a while until we needed halves/hooker coverage more and then hey presto Cogger is a hooker.

Ivan typically goes with the safest 17 for the first 6-8 weeks and then starts rotating the pack/bench a bunch leading into, and then obviously through, Origin. Based on that I think we'll start with Peach. He's an acceptable centre, fine edge forward and poor hooker/half but he's not going to lose the match in 15 minutes which is the goal. Schneider makes the most sense to me personally though. Garner covers edge/centre nicely, Schneider and Luke are the only guys that will cover halves/hooker, which I believe is our main need for the first month, and based on an extended run last year, I don't think Luke is it.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
That happens and we are even more f**ked if Luke is on the bench. There goes any direction in attack or defence. Id back us to do better with a half covering 9 for 80 minutes than Luke. Luke is a liability in his 10 minute cameos ffs. Sommerton could do a better job for 80 at 9 than Cole or Schneider. Obviously.

Though that same logic (getting knocked out) easily applies to Cleary. He gets knocked out in the first minute. We are basically screwed if we have no half option on the bench.

Cole covers more positions than Luke or Sommerton. Schneider also provides better cover across spine IMO. They would do a better job at 9 than the hookers would in the halves. We just need a guy who can make his tackles and get the ball to Cleary or Yeo.

I rate this:

1. Edwards
6. Luai
7. Cleary
14. Cole / Schneider

As better than this
1. Edwards
14. Sommerton / Luke
6. Luai
9. Kenny

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Thankfully Ivan plans for finals and origin with his teams. Ivan will get some game time in to anyone he thinks could feature in important positions come finals time. They wont just be thrown to the wolves.
Jack Cole has 1 game of NRL under his belt.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
That might just be the opportunity that Nathan Cleary has been waiting for. He could still be one of the great hookers!

Then Cole and Luai play HB & 5/8
Play the best player in the world out of position or have a hooker on the bench…. I know what I’d choose.

Iamback

Coach
Who was rested for Coggers debut?

We had both halves backing up from Origin.

Ivan went for the halves cover and sent Luke to NSW Cup.

Cleary only lasted 16 mins, with a hooker on the bench instead. No one is there for the cover, hence why you want a 14 to cover multiple positions

Iamback

Coach
Ivan has come up with some pretty left field guys to fill that 14/17 role over the last few years. Kenny was manufactured into someone that could cover hooker/lock/middle, Salmon was a reserve grade 5/8 manufactured into an edge/backs cover guy. Hosking became our centre/edge cover for a while until we needed halves/hooker coverage more and then hey presto Cogger is a hooker.

Ivan typically goes with the safest 17 for the first 6-8 weeks and then starts rotating the pack/bench a bunch leading into, and then obviously through, Origin. Based on that I think we'll start with Peach. He's an acceptable centre, fine edge forward and poor hooker/half but he's not going to lose the match in 15 minutes which is the goal. Schneider makes the most sense to me personally though. Garner covers edge/centre nicely, Schneider and Luke are the only guys that will cover halves/hooker, which I believe is our main need for the first month, and based on an extended run last year, I don't think Luke is it.

I think Peach is the 14 for the WCC

Luke Bowden

First Grade
We had both halves backing up from Origin.

Ivan went for the halves cover and sent Luke to NSW Cup.

Cleary only lasted 16 mins, with a hooker on the bench instead. No one is there for the cover, hence why you want a 14 to cover multiple positions
Yes, it was during origin, that’s what I’m saying, Rep cover and injury cover will give them enough opportunities.

Thank you

Luke Bowden

First Grade
A fit Soni Luke was dropped to get Cogger in though. Under your bench that wouldn't happen
When are we talking about now? When Luai was injured and his shoulder was being held together with strapping tape?

Cogger certainly didn’t play the whole season on the bench. We certainly didn’t rotate players through the bench to give them experience playing NRL.

Our 17 for the season was always the strongest we could field. This is all I’m saying.

Barring injury or rep coverage, I think we should either have a hooker at 14 or a Peachy type utility that can play in the middle. Just my thoughts, not saying anyone is dumb for thinking differently to me.

Munky

Coach

Salmon was pretty terrible in 2022, looked bad in every position he played. We were lucky the back three and first choice starting pack with Sorro and Spencer off the bench just murdered teams with ease.

He did improve in 2023 but was dropped for better utilities as the season went on.

Iamback

Coach
When are we talking about now? When Luai was injured and his shoulder was being held together with strapping tape?

Cogger certainly didn’t play the whole season on the bench. We certainly didn’t rotate players through the bench to give them experience playing NRL.

Our 17 for the season was always the strongest we could field. This is all I’m saying.

Barring injury or rep coverage, I think we should either have a hooker at 14 or a Peachy type utility that can play in the middle. Just my thoughts, not saying anyone is dumb for thinking differently to me.

Coggers debut. He was in number 18, Your friend Soni was named in 14.

Cogger came in as a tactic because the side needed the halves cover, which turned out the right call as Nathan went off after 16 mins

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Coggers debut. He was in number 18, Your friend Soni was named in 14.

Cogger came in as a tactic because the side needed the halves cover, which turned out the right call as Nathan went off after 16 mins
I don’t know Soni, just because I don’t hate him and I think he’s a very good hooker, doesn’t make us mates.

I’m huge Summo fan and I’d pick him every day of the week over Soni Luke.

can’t for the life of me understand why you are having so much trouble understanding this.

“The side needed halves cover” so they put a half on the bench…. That’s not rocket science is it.

Latest posts