What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

23,000 - Atmosphere Of 3,000

Karmawave

Bench
I'm just watching the replay of the Knights v Rabbitohs game on Fox Sports.

Yesterday we had a crowd of 23,000 at the game. The atmosphere and crowd noise is non existent on TV.

Having been at the game yesterday, there were times where we scored a try and the applause was almost polite.

Where has the home ground atmosphere gone?

A Roosters crowd of 6,000 would make more noise and atmosphere than a Knights crowd of 23,000, and I am baffled why this is the case.

It is a massive thing to lose that home ground advantage that a 23,000 crowd pumped to the max can achieve on both the opposition and refereeing decisions.

As it stands, whenever the Knights do something well, or score a try, we clap like we are on the 15th tee at the British Open golf.

Sad.

P.S. The people going around collecting money to go towards Burrastons NRL fine for blowing up at the refs, came up and asked me for a donation. I don't think it was too rude to suggest they take it out of the money the Knights save each week on the matchday entertainment budget? ;-)

macavity

Referee
plenty loud where I was

maybe they just need to get the Crusade into a more central location.

i have been told upper deck and members are very quiet but lower deck of the AJ stand is ok

Jobdog

Live Update Team
It's been the case for several years now - the atmosphere is pretty much dead. However, I guarantee you that when we start winning regularly and winning becomes a habit not only for the players, but the fans, we won't be as intent on watching every play, every tackle, every missed tackle as we are now. We wait for things to happen.

IanG

Coach
Yeah still haven't heard the New-Car-Stle chant as loud as we had in previous years.

Karmawave

Bench
Anyone with access to a TV and the replay should switch it on right now and see just how quiet the crowd is.

Pika

Bench
I'm just watching the replay of the Knights v Rabbitohs game on Fox Sports.

Yesterday we had a crowd of 23,000 at the game. The atmosphere and crowd noise is non existent on TV.

Having been at the game yesterday, there were times where we scored a try and the applause was almost polite.

Where has the home ground atmosphere gone?

A Roosters crowd of 6,000 would make more noise and atmosphere than a Knights crowd of 23,000, and I am baffled why this is the case.

It is a massive thing to lose that home ground advantage that a 23,000 crowd pumped to the max can achieve on both the opposition and refereeing decisions.

As it stands, whenever the Knights do something well, or score a try, we clap like we are on the 15th tee at the British Open golf.

Sad.

P.S. The people going around collecting money to go towards Burrastons NRL fine for blowing up at the refs, came up and asked me for a donation. I don't think it was too rude to suggest they take it out of the money the Knights save each week on the matchday entertainment budget? ;-)

Not quite, but I get your point.

I have never heard a bigger bunch of whinging moaning fans in my life than the group behind me yesterday.

Best game of the season and they complained about everything.

They are living in the glory days of 1997, and neither retirement, cushions on thier seats, cheap tickets or a grand final win will make these old codgers happy.

Karmawave

Bench
Yeah still haven't heard the New-Car-Stle chant as loud as we had in previous years.

And the tempo of the chant has slowed down, almost like slow motion...

Neeeeeeewwwwwwww---- caaaaaaaaaaaaa------sssssssssstllleeeeeee...

Speed it up a bit lads and ladettes :lol: , we aren't all from Cessnock.

Karmawave

Bench
They are living in the glory days of 1997, and neither retirement, cushions on thier seats, cheap tickets or a grand final win will make these old codgers happy.

And that's an interesting point.

Our home crowds seem OLD. OLD OLD OLD OLD OLD people.

Old people don't make the same noise as a bunch of 15 year olds would.

I'd love to know what the average age of a Newcastle Knights fan is when compared to other teams.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Which is why, even if you hate the Jets, you need to go to their games. All the cynics will say its because soccer crowds need to keep themselves occupied to pass the time, but a Jets crowd of 10k makes as much noise, if not more, than a Knights crowd of 20k. Maybe this has to do with the average age of Jets fans being around the 16-20 mark, I'm not sure.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Jets membership here we come! I'm there!

( What's the song I get to sing at the Jets, I need a lyric sheet to practise :lol: )
Rip off of "When the Saints go marching in"

Oh when the Jets
Go Flying in
Oh when the Jets go flying in
I want to be in the Squadron
When the Jets go flying in!

Yes, I know its more to do with the Squadron boys (and girls), but still :cool:

Karmawave

Bench
Rip off of "When the Saints go marching in"

Oh when the Jets
Go Flying in
Oh when the Jets go flying in
I want to be in the Squadron
When the Jets go flying in!

Yes, I know its more to do with the Squadron boys (and girls), but still :cool:

Oh too easy, I can handle this. :music1:

I'll be ready for A League 4.0 :lol:

perverse

Referee
it's because of our aging supporter base and the knights lack of appeal to the new generation of fans.

it's disturbing. we need a good marketing team. this "bred tough" etc crap they keep going on about is not connecting with young fans in the slightest.

Pika

Bench
Just on the Jets, the reason they have the atmosphere is because going to the game is half the excitement.

The game will be played and the team will win or loose. Refs will be booed, oppostion will be jeered, but its the fun.

These geriatrics behind me had a game with everything and moaned about cold seats.

Jets fans just enjoy the day, regardless of the game.

When I was a kid the trip to the footy was half the fun, I would get bored with the game most of the time. Just being there was enough to make me cheer until I was hoarse.

Karmawave

Bench
it's disturbing. we need a good marketing team. this "bred tough" etc crap they keep going on about is not connecting with young fans in the slightest.

Bred from inbreds more like it :lol:

Um, we do need to appeal to the young fans.

Newcastle Knights turn metrosexual.

It would be good if the Knights get cheerleaders back who aren't primary school age. I remember a few years ago in high school , a group of us would go to perve at the cheerleaders we had crushes on.

Something along the lines of ...

Newcastle Knights, bred from expensive haircuts and leg waxing...

Newcastle Knights, proudly sponsored by General Pants Co, where the young and the restless dress...

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Bred from inbreds more like it :lol:

Um, we do need to appeal to the young fans.

Newcastle Knights turn metrosexual.

It would be good if the Knights get cheerleaders back who aren't primary school age. I remember a few years ago in high school , a group of us would go to perve at the cheerleaders we had crushes on.

Something along the lines of ...

Newcastle Knights, bred from expensive haircuts and leg waxing...

Newcastle Knights, proudly sponsored by General Pants Co, where the young and the restless dress...
Can't believe I'm going to say this, but I actually agree with you on this minor point :p

Seriously though, the cheerleaders aren't the be-all and end-all, but it'd be good to have something to look at ;-)

In saying that, the Jets crowds go quite well and they don't have cheergirls ...