What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

26 June expansion meeting (Predictions?)

MugaB

Coach
Sydney has 100 regular season games each year and the grand final. The reason Greenberg created Magic Round was to appease the Queensland Gov after f**king it around with the GF.
So what? That's now over with and history, no one said we can't have another magic round, keep the suncorp one going, and schedule another near the end of the spectrum (sort of near august when the games/season seem a bit lengthy) if it scheduled right all teams can be in one city again just like they do in with brisbane, make it indigenous round or heritage round, make every team play in their oldest kit and just make sure every Sydney team is the home game, only one team loses out though, can share/switch that around per year, or just make it the perth bears (@allianz) and use commbank friday (3), Accor saturday (4) and Allianz sunday (3) this should share the chop up of ground

Last edited:

Wb1234

Referee
View attachment 90415
10 more is it WB...
if the schedule is done right could very well worked out to be maybe 1 or 2 extra, just have to make sure all Sydney teams are the home team

I said up to ten

you know cause they are expanding to 20 teams

i know you aren’t reading every post but the original comment was with two more games a round Brisbane might not be able to fit in all the games for magic

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
So what? That's now over with and history, no one said we can't have another magic round, keep the suncorp one going, and schedule another near the end of the spectrum (sort of near august when the games/season seem a bit lengthy) if it scheduled right all teams can be in one city again just like they do in with brisbane, make it indigenous round or heritage round, make every team play in their oldest kit and just make sure every Sydney team is the home game, only one team loses out though, can share/switch that around per year, or just make it the perth bears (@allianz) and use commbank friday (3), Accor saturday (4) and Allianz sunday (3) this should share the chop up of ground
Call it the NSWRL heritage Round 😊
Or the NSWRL remembrance round
With Broncos involved
Cause they played in NSWRL Winfield cup
Can be the X factor
Bring back all old jerseys

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm very much pro-Perth, so don't take my post as anything but, but if we were avoiding WA games in the earlier stages of the season due to heat, we'd need more than the opening month to be avoiding it! This year, we were still getting 30°C+ temperatures up until about 4 weeks ago.
Would be a 4 or 4.30 ko bit later in the season though, where as 1 hour earlier at start of season. This autumn was unusually warm!

Sydney could have a round featuring all-Sydney clashes and Newcastle at SFS and Stadium Australia.

Stadium Australia on Saturday
Panthers vs Dragons
Bulldogs vs Eels
Tigers vs Knights

SFS on Sunday
Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles
Roosters vs Sharks

If Perth merge with Bears then place them in Knights' spot.

Foxtel would love something like this. If it's done in the last five rounds when Ch9 air a Saturday night match then one of the Stadium Australia games can be broadcast on FTA.

75K at Stadium Australia and 42k at SFS would be very possible.

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
I said up to ten

you know cause they are expanding to 20 teams

i know you aren’t reading every post but the original comment was with two more games a round Brisbane might not be able to fit in all the games for magic
Nah I read it, just don't see how upto 10 games in Sydney is possible, where it would most likely be upto 1 extra, no way they take games away from out of Sydney sides for a possible "magic" style round based in Sydney, and I'm all for trying a 2nd one not taking away the suncorp experience for the 1st one, besides the NRL make money off the gambero hotel, or at least save money by getting the players to stay there for peanuts, during that magic round so, theres a huge incentive to keep it there regardless.
As for a Sydney based 10 game round, it could be done without too much fuss, again just split up the stadiums per day, parra 3, homebush 4, moorepark 3

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
A game can be scheduled for 6pm AWST at Perth Rectangular Stadium. It's not a great time slot foe attendances, but can be done.

But what about the game that's broadcast at 6pm AEST game?

It would need to be played at 4pm AWST. Only way that works is if it is a public holiday, like Good Friday.
That’s going to happen regardless because tv scheduling week in week out has a 6pm AEST game every week. That won’t change, it’s just about which teams you have playing in those time slots. There may be 1-2 games a year where Perth is unfortunate 6pm AEST Friday night game so yes they would be on at 4pm WA…. But I don’t see the NRL or Broadcasters allowing that to happen too often and you’ll probably find most Perth games will be on the 8pm AEST time slot.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Australian TV will have issues with it, that's the problem.

They want to maximise eyeballs for their advertising sell.

"Inconveniencing" fans has got my nothing to do with it.
Why would the broadcasters have issues with additional games? The layout I proposed has 800+ minutes of football every week. FTA broadcasters only play a handful of games as it is; where as Fox/Kayo are the key investors and play every game live with a dedicated channel… so the eyeballs would be on their channel already so play whatever advertising they want.

Aus tv won’t have an issue with it because the time slots are still beneficial to an East Coast viewership; barring maybe a late game being played at 9:30pm AEST because it’s kicked off at 7:30 in WA.

That’s going to happen regardless because tv scheduling week in week out has a 6pm AEST game every week. That won’t change, it’s just about which teams you have playing in those time slots. There may be 1-2 games a year where Perth is unfortunate 6pm AEST Friday night game so yes they would be on at 4pm WA…. But I don’t see the NRL or Broadcasters allowing that to happen too often and you’ll probably find most Perth games will be on the 8pm AEST time slot.
4pm AWST Friday would be a disaster. You would be lucky to get 5-8k to the game.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
4pm AWST Friday would be a disaster. You would be lucky to get 5-8k to the game.
Oh, you were talking about live. No no. The Friday WA games would always be played at 6pm or 8pm AWST in Perth (8pm & 10pm AEST for those playing at home.) or 8pm AEST Friday if they’re playing in Sydney for a 6pm WA tv audience. No one is advocating for a game to be played at 4pm on a Friday for a live audience.

Canard

Immortal
Why would the broadcasters have issues with additional games? The layout I proposed has 800+ minutes of football every week. FTA broadcasters only play a handful of games as it is; where as Fox/Kayo are the key investors and play every game live with a dedicated channel… so the eyeballs would be on their channel already so play whatever advertising they want.

Aus tv won’t have an issue with it because the time slots are still beneficial to an East Coast viewership; barring maybe a late game being played at 9:30pm AEST because it’s kicked off at 7:30 in WA.
If you read my post again, you will see I was responding to the poster who seems to think having State of Origin kick off at 9 or 9.30pm will be accepted by TV companies.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Nothing concrete happened last Wednesday.
What bid paperwork? Is it like a centrelink form?

When the time comes to process bids I'm sure Perth and everyone else will get their shit together.

Latest posts