What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB, ABC or Triple M, who do you listen to for your league coverage?

Which radio station do you listen to for your league coverage?

• 2GB

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Triple M

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • ABC

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Don't listen to league on the radio

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters

Red Bear

Referee
ABC.

The only time i've listened to 2GB recently was the NSW Cup semi final last year when Norths played Newtown.

redvscotty

First Grade
ABC + Triple M on Mondays.

2GB can get f**ked. I have listened to them on occasion but not in the last 2 years.

Brutus

Referee
Why does Phil Rothfield always make a song and dance about the 2GB football ratings, belittling the opposition stations?.

His head is so far up Ray's bottom it's nauseating.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Bah, I'll admit I listened to 2GB yesterday whilst driving listening to the Warriors game, better than hearing the Kiwi's on ABC.

Apart from that talkback radio for me is Triple M and after the games its ABC.

I would only listen to 2GB (on occassions) for the sake of the calling the games.

Are these ratings based on listening the games or all day? Honestly who would listen to Raaaayyy and Bob Fulton talking about clothes line or garbage bags.

Flapper

First Grade
The ratings are based on 12-6 weekend slots. GB's ratings actually drop once the footy talk starts, hence why they could still win the ratings the years they didn't have the rights.

You have to remember GB has an incredibly rusted on audience where a 10 rating is considered not great whereas if MMM rated a 10 their executive would simultaneously cream their jeans. Sport broadcasting is naturally a low rater hence why it costs chump change to get the rights to it.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Why does Phil Rothfield always make a song and dance about the 2GB football ratings, belittling the opposition stations?.

His head is so far up Ray's bottom it's nauseating.

Seems obvious, the pea heart Rothfield is afraid of Hadley.

I gave up on 2GB years ago. Talking about top deck chocolates and irrelevant stuff not related to footy then the Fulton/Roach arse kissing that was cringe worthy.

I listen to Triple M or ABC for calls of games I can't watch but that's it. The Grill Team are all knob jockeys.

cleary89

Coach
I've been travelling europe so when I couldn't get a stream I'll listen to MMM on the radio. Been real good so far.

Last season when I was back home I'd listen to MMM on a monday night and grandstand most other times. Use to love as a kid listening to 2GB on the way home from the footy, but now I realise there is little to no footy talk. Can't tell you the last time I did listen to them.

undertaker

Coach
I've been travelling europe so when I couldn't get a stream I'll listen to MMM on the radio. Been real good so far.

Last season when I was back home I'd listen to MMM on a monday night and grandstand most other times. Use to love as a kid listening to 2GB on the way home from the footy, but now I realise there is little to no footy talk. Can't tell you the last time I did listen to them.

The only time I ever liked listening to 2GB was during 2000/01 when Hadley lost the radio rights. Jon Harker (2000) - aka the Napisan guy - and Peter Wilkins (2001) were both great callers and their cohesion with the other commentators like John Gibbs was good. Dunno what happened to Jon Harker. Besides the Napisan ads and that year he called for 2GB, he used to call surf-lifesaving competitions on Ch7. That's the last I remember of him.

Although, I must say that I did like the Continuous Call Team and used to listen to them nearly every Sunday back in the late '90s on 2UE. Fantastic to listen to Chippy Frilingos (one of the last reputable, non-PC RL journos at the Daily Telegraph. Guys like Slothfield aren't even deserving of being called a "journalist" and goes to show how far the standards have slipped since Chippy passed away). They talked RL more than 90% of the time back then, Ray did a very good call of the game, and none of this stupid marriage counselling, wearing women's underwear, the Big Marn starting off with the sentence "Ray, I'M OUTRAGED! LAST TUESDAY, I WENT TO......." crap talk back in those days. I mean, who bloody CARES what some fatarse bastard got up to during their private time? And oh the hypocrisy of Hadley taking potshots at the Footy Show for so many years on his radio program after he got sacked and hammered them on all the things like cross-dressing, toilet humour, no-RL talk, making fun of disabled/ethnic people etc. when his CCT show slowly evolved into the radio equivalent of The Footy Show when he started calling games again in 2002

The big difference is back then, Ray didn't have a talk-back radio show (he only occasionally filled in for John Laws when he was sick or on holidays) and rugby league was all he knew. He was only known to the mainstream as a RL caller and one of the inaugural pannelists on The Footy Show. I noticed the big difference in mentality and ego came when he moved to 2GB in 2002 and furthermore, got his own weekday show. That's where the dynamics of the CCT program changed, his motivation and passion for league took a back seat to his more preferable Monday-Friday show and all this idle talk about non-RL issues became commonplace.

And yes, his Saturday 12-5pm (12-7pm during Origin rounds) "rugby league" show rates well because the audience is mostly the same 55+ yr old mob who comprise the majority of his listeners on his weekday show, not RL fans.

Last edited:

DC_fan

Coach
I know this is only a very small sample but how can 2GB be winning the radio ratings so easily when we only have two people here who listen to them.

Patorick

Staff member
I know this is only a very small sample but how can 2GB be winning the radio ratings so easily when we only have two people here who listen to them.
148118-alan-jones-ray-hadley.jpg

franklin2323

Immortal

The old people that listen always do. Where as most on here will go to pubs or too games, Watch TV or do family things. The retiree's listen to talkback pretty much 24/7 so it shows in the ratings

Jeffmister

Juniors
The other problem with that article is that it's hard to compare 2GB and MMM since both have a different calling schedule. The only time they go head-to-head is if both called the same Friday night game into NSW or coming up with State of Origin and later with the finals series.

It's unlike the AFL where comparisons can be made between 3AW and Triple M, but also seperately SEN and ABC since both groupings call the same games and all four air footy at around the same times each round