What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB, ABC or Triple M, who do you listen to for your league coverage?

Which radio station do you listen to for your league coverage?

• 2GB

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Triple M

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • ABC

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Don't listen to league on the radio

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters

captainwarrior

Juniors
Love the WOK.

Shannon Byrne is an AFL fan anyway.

I think 2GB feel threatened by Triple M, hence Hadley returning to 7 days at the station.

Don't f**king get me started on this.

Andrew Moore >>>>>>>> Hadley and any other main 2GB caller. Joel Caine isn't bad though.

Rabs' son is horrendous. He called the Sharks/Dragons game a couple of weeks ago and I turned it off after 10 minutes. Why he's got a job I'll never know. Actually scratch that I do know, and it's the same reason Hadley is at 9 and Vossy isn't.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Love the WOK.

Shannon Byrne is an AFL fan anyway.

I think 2GB feel threatened by Triple M, hence Hadley returning to 7 days at the station.

Will be interesting to see what the ratings would be before any games are kicked off, as I think people prefer to listen to Triple M in terms of talkback.

Unfortunately for Triple M last Saturday people wouldve switched cause of the AFL.

Red Bear

Referee
Same here. My only gripe is Laurie Spina. I reckon there's been a few times when he's been pissed off his head calling Cowboys games.
Makes Cowboys games unlistenable.

Wok, Morrow and Hamilton, on the rare occasion they're together, are the best combo. Don't really listen to the lead in anymore, it's just not interesting. Don't mind the other ex players they've got on board, Turner, Patten, head and Andrew Ryan do a good job. Not the biggest fan of Richard Svenson though.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
With a choice, it's abc, but with no choice, I'll put up with any even tho one really grinds my gears. (bet you don't know which one) ;-)

nrlnrl

First Grade
2GB - stopped listening to them about 20 years ago with their stupid songs & in jokes

ABC - no thanks, it comes across as claiming to be superior

Triple M - shouting is only good when it's buying beers at pubs, not commentary

T.S Quint

Coach
Rabs' son is horrendous. He called the Sharks/Dragons game a couple of weeks ago and I turned it off after 10 minutes. Why he's got a job I'll never know. Actually scratch that I do know, and it's the same reason Hadley is at 9 and Vossy isn't.

Mark Warren?
I didn't know he was calling games now. I guess that's why he's no longer the ground announcer at Parramatta Stadium - thank f**k for that!

There wouldn't have been one Parra fan who liked him in that job. He was awful.
Couldn't imagine having to listen to him call a whole game.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Thats Chris Warren.

Used to work for Sky Sports UK Rugby League coverage, and not sure if still with Fox Sports.

I heard Mark is with another club at the moment, not sure exactly but sucks to be that club.

He also used to call Rugby League games years ago, but mainly Schoolboys League and Reserve Grade, U23s on Grand Final Day.

He was basically second caller to his old man for a couple of years but thank fk Vossy left 2UE and replaced Mark.

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Andrew Moore >>>>>>>> Hadley and any other main 2GB caller. Joel Caine isn't bad though.

As much as I don't like him for the person he is, Hadley is a good radio caller but simply a crap tv caller. Caine is one of the best natural talents on camera. Been very impressed with what I've seen from him since he entered the RL media.

How do you know the part in bold for sure? I think Gyngell had more to do with it than Rabs since Gyngell runs the network and was already good friends with Hadley prior to the Rabs' statue comment incident involving Vossy

Chris Warren isn't too bad. I first remember seeing him whilst watching an ESL match, as he was working with Sky Sports UK for a while before moving to Australia. However, Rabs other son Mark Warren is a complete dropkick (don't believe me? Just ask those long-suffering Parra supporters who've had to put up with his voice as ground announcer at matches for years). Still remember that scuffle he got into with that Ch10 reporter in the post-race interview when Usain Bolt had that 100m sprint run in Australia. Also, didn't Mark and Rabs have some big falling out about 10 years ago or so (remember reading something about it in the SMH)?

2GB - stopped listening to them about 20 years ago with their stupid songs & in jokes

I think you're more specifically referring to the Continuous Call Team, as 2GB have only had the radio rights since 2000 (CCT were still at 2UE, before moving to 2GB in 2002).

Thats Chris Warren.

Used to work for Sky Sports UK Rugby League coverage, and not sure if still with Fox Sports.

I heard Mark is with another club at the moment, not sure exactly but sucks to be that club.

He also used to call Rugby League games years ago, but mainly Schoolboys League and Reserve Grade, U23s on Grand Final Day.

He was basically second caller to his old man for a couple of years but thank fk Vossy left 2UE and replaced Mark.

I dunno if Chris is still a presenter on Fox Sports News as I have seen him a few times on that channel.

And agree with your comments re:Mark. Feel sorry for whichever poor club has to put up with his antics

Mark Warren?
I didn't know he was calling games now. I guess that's why he's no longer the ground announcer at Parramatta Stadium - thank f**k for that!

There wouldn't have been one Parra fan who liked him in that job. He was awful.
Couldn't imagine having to listen to him call a whole game.

Have seen an old clip of him calling the School Boy competition for Ch9 in the early '90s. His voice sounds like a hybrid of his old man and Ray Hadley. You can see when he commentates that he tries so hard to sound like Rabs. I guess the expression "A nobody who's trying to be noticed off the back of people who are already noticed" is definitely applicable to him. But yeah, I'd hate to hear him call a full NRL match.

Last edited:

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I think you're more specifically referring to the Continuous Call Team, as 2GB have only had the radio rights since 2000 (CCT were still at 2UE, before moving to 2GB in 2002).

You're right, as from 2002 the CCT have been on 2GB. Wheras they were previously on 2UE from about 1986 till 1999.

I dont know how long before 2000 when 2GB were able to call matches.

I seem to remember in the mid 90s you had Zorba and Hartley, plus John Harker and Steve Mortimer. Unless it was 2KY.

captainwarrior

Juniors
As much as I don't like him for the person he is, Hadley is a good radio caller but simply a crap tv caller. Caine is one of the best natural talents on camera. Been very impressed with what I've seen from him since he entered the RL media.

I like Joel Caine don't get me wrong, and I 100% agree with almost everything you said. Hadley isn't a bad radio caller by any means, and Caine as you said, is very impressive, but I much, much prefer Andrew Moore on radio to both of them.

undertaker

Coach
I like Joel Caine don't get me wrong, and I 100% agree with almost everything you said. Hadley isn't a bad radio caller by any means, and Caine as you said, is very impressive, but I much, much prefer Andrew Moore on radio to both of them.

I too am also a fan of Andrew Moore and think he's a good caller.

A shame that Ch10 didn't win the tv rights a couple of years ago, as there's short odds Moore would've been one of the main callers of their coverage (given that he hosted The Game Plan on OneHD before it was canned this year). Such a shame The Game Plan was canned this year. Moore, Blocker and Caine gelled very well as a panel and would've also made a good commentary team for Ch10's RL coverage. Would've definitely been a breath of fresh air over the monotonous Rabs/Gus dribble we've been subjected to since the previous tv rights deal when the 2 Friday night matches were introduced.

Oh well, have to wait until 2018 I guess.

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
Wok got Shannon Byrne a classic tonight:

Shut her up for a good 5 minutes too.

Worth it.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...dging-female-abc-reporter-20140412-zqu08.html

Warren Ryan earns wrath for sledging female ABC reporter

Date
April 12, 2014 - 11:10PM

Daniel Lane
Sports reporter & Video journalist

Former premiership-winning coach and long-term ABC commentator Warren Ryan earned the wrath of listeners during last week's broadcast of the Souths-St George Illawarra match when he appeared to take offence at sideline eye Shannon Byrne's opinion on frontline defence.

Byrne, a female sports reporter who represented South Australia in netball, was acknowledged by station management as a talent on the rise. However, she was taken to task during the call after Ryan complained she had offered a contradictory opinion to his own about a tackle. Rather than let it go Ryan interrupted David Morrow's call to complain "it's interesting, a netballer telling me about frontline defence. Fascinating."

ABC Radio's head of sport Craig Norenbergs confirmed there was a number of complaints lodged with the national broadcaster regarding what was seen as a put-down.

"I have spoken to everyone who was involved and we are going to monitor what is said in the future," Norenbergs said. "I think it is unfortunate because Shannon is a great talent."

The sledge was uttered by the 74-year-old at a time when the NRL is trying to increase female participation numbers as junior coaches and in the administrative ranks. Apart from having females represented on some NRL club's boards, the Bulldogs appointed Raelene Castle as their chief executive. Castle, like Byrne, had a netball background.

During the week the NRL also tried to prove it was all inclusive by joining Australia's other major sports in pledging to stamp out homophobia from the sporting landscape.

"David and Warren are very well respected and, particularly from Warren, I would expect more from such an experienced broadcaster," Norenbergs said. "There were a few complaints made about it and, yes, we have had to put our hand up and say we expected better from him.

"As I've said I have had a chat to all involved and hopefully we have all learned from this. Warren said he had learnt from it and he's indicated he wants to retire at the end of the season and I'd like to see him stand down as the great coach he is rather than be remembered for a couple of comments he should not have said.

"One thing I will not stand for is bad behaviour on air or off."

Norenbergs praised Morrow, who last year was suspended from calling the NRL's finals after what was perceived to be a racist joke was accidentally broadcast by a "live" microphone, for not allowing Ryan's comment to turn even uglier by continuing the call.

"David is so professional he steered it in a different direction and he deserves to be commended for that," he said.

ABC Grandstand has not been scared to blaze new frontiers in sports broadcasting by having Debbie Spillane call A-League matches, Kelli Underwood the AFL and Byrne's involvement on the rugby league coverage. This year, indigenous caller Brad Cooke was recruited to call Monday night matches.

"We are simply reflecting society," Norenbergs said. "None of this is tokenism, we are appointing talented, respected and professional people to do what is a tough job extremely well."
:crazy:

undertaker

Coach

That Craig Noremburg (who used to be sports reporter on Sky News channel a few years ago) strikes me now as the blow-hard, politically correct dictator trying to appease and control HIS brand. Wouldn't want him as a boss. The punishment handed out to David Morrow last year definitely didn't meet the crime at all.

On the topic of AFL lackeys, Kelli Underwood (the woman who looks like a bush pig)...I've seen her on The Back Page. She was voted the worst AFL commentator (obtaining 40% of the vote) and after hearing this short clip, I'm so glad she isn't involved with the NRL in any way, shape or form. The executives who hire her to commentate games must be either stark deaf or tone deaf, as she somehow manages to get all these gigs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P50iJTjSUOQ

I'm all for women having media jobs in the NRL, but a prerequisite has to be that they at least know something about the game rather than just picking women for the sake of choosing a woman on the commentary team. Regarding Shannon, it doesn't help, as others have said in this thread, when the person doesn't really give a stuff about the NRL (and is more of a fan of a rival code). I pray she never gets promoted to the commentary box as a caller or colour commentator *shrugs*:shock:

roofromoz

First Grade
ABC is always my first preference, but on occasion I have listened to Triple M.

I always as a rule avoid 2GB but listened to them a couple of years ago whilst in transit for a Panthers match because the ABC were calling the rugby - it's wasn't Raaaaaaaaaaaaaay (thankfully), but it was still hard on the ears.

captainwarrior

Juniors
I too am also a fan of Andrew Moore and think he's a good caller.

A shame that Ch10 didn't win the tv rights a couple of years ago, as there's short odds Moore would've been one of the main callers of their coverage (given that he hosted The Game Plan on OneHD before it was canned this year). Such a shame The Game Plan was canned this year. Moore, Blocker and Caine gelled very well as a panel and would've also made a good commentary team for Ch10's RL coverage. Would've definitely been a breath of fresh air over the monotonous Rabs/Gus dribble we've been subjected to since the previous tv rights deal when the 2 Friday night matches were introduced.

Oh well, have to wait until 2018 I guess.

Agreed. I like Rabs and Gus individually but they can annoy me sometimes when they're together. Most Friday Nights I mute the TV with Rabs and Gus and turn on the radio and listen to Andrew and Blocker, they have much better chemistry and in my opinion commentate the game a lot better than those on Nein.

Brutus

Referee
Love the banter on Triple M, particularly on Sunday arvos. It's all footy related which makes it so entertaining. Some of Matty Johns' stories about former players are hilarious. Paul Kent is a good fit for that show.

Leaves 2GB for dead.

Latest posts