What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB, ABC or Triple M, who do you listen to for your league coverage?

Which radio station do you listen to for your league coverage?

• 2GB

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • Triple M

Votes: 74 49.3%
  • ABC

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Don't listen to league on the radio

Votes: 10 6.7%

• Total voters

nomis88

Juniors
Mainly ABC or MMM. MMM coverage has really improved this year with them calling more games. I actually used to prefer the ABC a couple of years ago before they changed the format. I enjoyed Warren Ryan and David Morrow being on for 6 hours. Being A Manly fan I don't enjoy them calling Manly games as they can't hide their anti-Manly bias.

Tigger Madness

Juniors
I dont listen to the radio calls of the games but do enjoy the talk shows. For this I mostly listen to Triple M (Offload, Deadset legends, Grill Team) and also 2SM talkin sport.

Does ABC do a league talk show?

aads

Juniors
I like the coverage on MMM - ABC is a bit dull to my ears - ill give it a try on the weekend tho

It shots me that MMM play the swans in sydney when NRL is on when melbourne station could do it instead

Ads

captainwarrior

Juniors
I'll probably get shot but I listen to 2gb every weekend. Love Blocker and the Big Marn. My only critisizm is that they don't talk enough footy. I don't need footy talk for the 5-6 hours they're on, but Hadley purposely doesn't like to talk about the footy and prefers to stick to the 'jibber'. Due to me much preferring CCT when Andrew Moore is in his place on a Sunday. They're match calling with Moore and Roach also is much better than MMM and ABC.

drake

First Grade
2gb is arse. Grandstand has been my go to for years, especially love the Wok's dry sarcasm. MMM is doing a great job.
One thing that ABC has is the respect of players and coaches. MMM getting Mascord to contribute has been a bonus for them in that respect as well.

Brutus

Referee
Listening to the Triple M call now.

Gordon Tallis is a terrible rugby league commentator. Thank god Girdler is there to lift the standard.

Flapper

First Grade
Dan Ginanne explained why Rothfield keeps writing shit about MMM on the Offload today. Because he's butthurt that he didn't get a start with them :lol:

He should also have to declare he has a weekly spot on 2GB

Brutus

Referee
Dan Ginanne explained why Rothfield keeps writing shit about MMM on the Offload today. Because he's butthurt that he didn't get a start with them :lol:

Exactly the same thing happened with 2SM's Talkin Sport.

Rothfelds was desperate to get a weekly spot with them and they told him to f**k off.

So he started bagging them in the paper.

Has Rothfelds tried 2GB yet? You'd think he'd get a start there considering he's basically Rayyyss PR agent in the Telecraph.

Flapper

First Grade
He's on there every Saturday at 445 according to some on Twitter. Ginnane also mentioned he should declare that he works for GB.

undertaker

Coach

Sorry, I didn't see you posted this. I just started a thread about this whole issue as I got back home only recently:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=421440

Has Rothfelds tried 2GB yet? You'd think he'd get a start there considering he's basically Rayyyss PR agent in the Telecraph.

According to Ginnane, he signed with 2GB not long after their last phone conversation where Slothfield only said a few words. Given that they were supposedly 'good mates' according to Ginnane, I don't think they are mates anymore. Rothfield's head is so far up 2GB's rear - or more specifically Hadley - it's not even funny (I hear he is a regular interviewee on Hadley's weekday show)

Edit: I just read on Rothfield's twitter that he supposedly doesn't get a cent from 2GB, but just has a segment on 2GB's coverage and Raaaaaaaaay's weekday show to promote the newspaper. Even if that is the case, as someone replied to him on twitter, although it's not 'cash for comment' a la Alan Jones/John Laws style, he should still be made to disclose that there is an arrangement between 2GB and The Daily Telegraph as it constitutes 'promotion/advertising' rather than trying to pass it off and act like it's just a spontaneous interview.

Last edited:

Patorick

Staff member
Wok got Shannon Byrne a classic tonight:

Interesting a netballer telling me about front-on defence.

Shut her up for a good 5 minutes too.

Worth it.

drago brelli

Bench
Warren Ryan is no 'new age' male. He tolerates Shannon Byrne. His view would probably be, what would a woman know about rugby league anyway. Byrne made a good point about Mitch Rein missing a tackle on Sam Burgess. Most small players would s#@t themselves at the prospect of trying to tackle a rampaging Sam Burgess close to the line. Warren might know in theory the technique in how a small player should tackle a big player like Burgess but I never saw Ryan perform such a tackle. Ryan's 'tackling' style was such that he wouldn't be on the field for very long in today's game. I saw him play lots of times in the Illawarra comp in the mid to late 70s.

Brutus

Referee
Love the WOK.

Shannon Byrne is an AFL fan anyway.

I think 2GB feel threatened by Triple M, hence Hadley returning to 7 days at the station.

MacDougall

First Grade
If I'm listening to radio, anytime at all, it's Triple M. The Brisbane Triple M is awesome. Ed Kavalee has to be the funniest breakfast show host I've ever heard and the footy coverage beats the rest. Hell they talk about NRL basically all day Saturday and Sunday and they have players and commentators on their other shows on the regular + the 6pm show with Dan and Rabs is also mostly quality.

Shits on everyone else from a great height.

drago brelli

Bench
If I'm listening to radio, anytime at all, it's Triple M. The Brisbane Triple M is awesome. Ed Kavalee has to be the funniest breakfast show host I've ever heard and the footy coverage beats the rest. Hell they talk about NRL basically all day Saturday and Sunday and they have players and commentators on their other shows on the regular + the 6pm show with Dan and Rabs is also mostly quality.

Shits on everyone else from a great height.

Give me two examples. The bloke is senile.

MacDougall

First Grade
I agree with you there, Rabs is a bit past it but the show is a better drive home listen than anything else at the time.

2 examples? Easy. If you mean 2 examples of Rabs being quality himself, well I never claimed that was the case so nah.

They had Grant Mayer on a few weeks back and I enjoyed that. The other night they had a very well known spinal surgeon on there discussing the realistic situation with McKinnon which was also good.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
Anyone else hear Wok give it to Shannon tonight during the Souffs game? He was talking about how no one had the correct technique for goal line defense after Rein let Burgess through and how it didn't matter what size you were. So then Shannon chimes in with her usual dribble leading to an exchange along the lines of

Shannon: "Maybe you'd have to think twice about tackling them if someone the size of Sam Burgess came running at you"
Wok: "You've just contradticted what I sad about technique, size doesn't matter"

Then shortly after
Wok: "Fancy a netballer telling me how to tackle"

Patorick

Staff member
Thirsty Morrow's reaction to the Dugan video-ref no-try was great too:

"WHAT?!?"

Latest posts