What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2GB - Bad behaviour claims levelled at Eels

Glenn

First Grade
What he did is assault, anyone that is not a footballer the matter ends up in the court system.
So what if he apologised, does that make the incident any better.
Personally would have given Fitzgerald full support to tear up his contract. The club has been dragged through the mud enough by thoughtless individuals, it is time someone stood up at a club level and said enough is enough

mickdo

Coach
strider said:
I'm interested to know what people think a FAIR punishment would have been? ... his punishment as I see it:
1) made to make a complete, personal apology to the girl
2) made to make a public confession/apology and admit to being dumb
3) $1000 fine ... now I don't know what salary he is on as an 18yr old coming up from flegg and PL, but I assume $1000 is a reasonable amount of it ... and compared to other footballers who get fined $5000 who are on several hundred thousand $ contracts

- would a week in PL make any difference? would it make the girl feel better? would it make jarryd feel worse?
- maybe a higher fine?
Well we could have strung him up in the town square...

I'm getting a bit sick of all these wowsers going ape over the most minor of indescretions. I'm sure he could grow up a bit, but quite frankly, so should the wowsers. Get a life people.

mickdo

Coach
Glenn said:
What he did is assault, anyone that is not a footballer the matter ends up in the court system.
So what if he apologised, does that make the incident any better.
Personally would have given Fitzgerald full support to tear up his contract. The club has been dragged through the mud enough by thoughtless individuals, it is time someone stood up at a club level and said enough is enough
It may be in the strictest sense, but I'd doubt very much that it would even get to court. A prosecution by the DPP would be unlikely.

parra pete

Referee
TRY THIS QUICK QUIZ....
How many times were the Eels in the papers for scandals during Brian Smith's reign?
Has discipline gone out the window following his departure????

Just asking....

stiffmeister

Bench
Who cares????? Which guy has not been drunk???? Which guy has not behaved inappropriately????, Which guy has not had sexual desire????. You hypocrates, unless your name is Jesus Christ I would believe you.

James_Hardie

Juniors
strider said:
I'm interested to know what people think a FAIR punishment would have been? ... his punishment as I see it:

3) $1000 fine ... now I don't know what salary he is on as an 18yr old coming up from flegg and PL, but I assume $1000 is a reasonable amount of it ... and compared to other footballers who get fined $5000 who are on several hundred thousand $ contracts

-

I think it should be irrelevant what his contract is. If Nathan Hindmarsh and Jarrad Hayne went through the same speed camera at 30km over the speed limit the fine would be the same.

Kornstar

Coach
parra pete said:
TRY THIS QUICK QUIZ....
How many times were the Eels in the papers for scandals during Brian Smith's reign?

Just asking....

Timmy twice
Riddell
Grothe
Cayless

They were all while Smith was there.

James_Hardie

Juniors
Kornstar said:
Timmy twice
Riddell
Grothe
Cayless

yeah but Smith no longer had control of them then. He lost is power to influence them when he was told he wasn't needed anymore. It should have been a clean break

strider

Post Whore
Kornstar said:
Timmy twice
Riddell
Grothe
Cayless

but apparently smithy lost control from before the season started ... well thats the popular belief

El Diablo

Post Whore
James_Hardie said:
yeah but Smith no longer had control of them then. He lost is power to influence them when he was told he wasn't needed anymore. It should have been a clean break

other coaches in the same situation haven't had a problem

Smith is the only one. only quitter too.

Kornstar

Coach
strider said:
but apparently smithy lost control from before the season started ... well thats the popular belief

If that is truely the case, then he should have stood aside straight away, not waiting until our season was totally screwed before walking out!

Utey

Coach
Smithy always said he wanted to leave on a better note then when he came. I think we shot ourselves in the foot long before the seasons start.

Palms

Juniors
I don't have any problem with the actions taken by the club and I think they were appropriate for the 'crime'. The problem I do have is with the sh*te that is written in the Daily Telegraph basically insinuating that rugby league is the only sport with alcohol problems and the players and supporters are mugs.

One day the truth about AFL's private life might actually come to the fore..

strider

Post Whore
Kornstar said:
If that is truely the case, then he should have stood aside straight away, not waiting until our season was totally screwed before walking out!
well i think he was trying to do his best and fulfill his contract rather than just doing a runner .... if he was not in control, I don' think it would have been apparent to him till sometime into the season eh

fish eel

Immortal
parra pete said:
TRY THIS QUICK QUIZ....

Just asking....

Tim Smith x2
Mark Riddell
Eric Grothe

It would appear to me that discipline went out the window from late last year....

strider

Post Whore
El Diablo said:
other coaches in the same situation haven't had a problem

Smith is the only one. only quitter too.
apart from john lang, smithy was the only one told to leave (elliot and hagan took jobs elsewhere) ... and lets not forget gower out penrith way - altho i don't know how much that would come down to lang losing control :lol:

sooperdooper

First Grade
grothes incident was nothing
he was on a harbour cruise with the eels and turned up late to a medical which is nothing

Hellsy

Immortal
Exactly.

and you can't really class the 'Santa incident' with Tim either as it was in the off season

mickdo

Coach
sooperdooper said:
grothes incident was nothing
he was on a harbour cruise with the eels and turned up late to a medical which is nothing
String him up!!! :crazy:

Latest posts