What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lords, July 16-20, 2009

Blaze

Juniors
Good fightback by Clarke and Haddin. Warne was awesome to listen to in that last session. He is a much better commentator when he isn't surrounded by the douchebags at NINE.

Predictions everyone?

I think England will still win comfortably. The margin will be over 100 runs.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
you would think England could take 5 for 200 to win, they have to be favourites from here

simmo1

First Grade
Yes that was appauling as well. And yes hevydevy you are right but Strauss must have known that the ball had touched the ground at some stage and shouldn't have gone up like he did.

Not really.

I've seen a similar situation in my club game. A player caught one on the half volley, and claimed the catch. He was adamant that he had caught it, except everyone else on the field saw it as clear as day that it bounced. The catcher can rarely tell if its bounced.

Broncodr01d

Juniors
What a finish we have in store!

A few things:

1. Strauss should've of said he wasn't 100% sure the catch was clean and as a result, the decision referred. End of. How do the umpires not use the technology on offer when there has to be an element of doubt about the decision. Has to be.

2. We will win this if we can see of Flintoff and the new ball. I have no doubt.

3. Michael Clarke's innings will be one of the best efforts of All-time if he can steer us home. A career defining moment for our next test captain. Arguably overdue. Haddin's performance in this dig is not to be understated either. What a partnership they have going, awesome to have watched most of it unfold (paid for it today).

4. Mitch Johnson should be dropped. He ain't handling the English conditions well at all and he is too expensive. I know he has been great, especially in SA, though in a pivotal 3rd Test, I don't think we can carry him again. Bring in Stuart Clark or Brett Lee. I am not saying he is gone for good, for now though, I think we can 'rest' him and look at alternatives. With that said, he will come good again.

5. How good was Flintoff in that first spell last night? Awesome. Sad to see him leaving the Test arena. Would've been scarier had England chosen Harmison too.

Ridders

Coach
I said it earlier, Flintoff is the only English bowler that really worries me, the rest are on and off at best. I think its a bit harsh to say Strauss would have known if it carried or not. I remember in club cricket claiming a catch that my team-mates later told me definitely bounced before i caught it. I was pretty shocked to hear it as i thought i had caught it cleanly. It happens and the blame really needs to go to the umps. Why refer Bopara's dismissal but not Hughes?

Do we dare to dream a victory? When Ponting went i thought we were done. If we are any chance of winning you would think Mitch is going to have to step up with the bat. Least he could do considering what he's done with the ball.