What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lords, July 16-20, 2009

HevyDevy

Coach
It should - but when Michael Clarke has done exactly the same thing Australian players and fans have shown the same degree of inconsistency as Rudi K

I have no problem with Strauss - I have no doubt it is hard to tell for the players.

But why would the umpires suddenly stop referring? Makes no sense to me.

Bigfella

Coach
As disgracefully as we bowled - if we had just scored 100 more first dig we'd be flying here.

Johnson is a telented batsman but I have grave concerns about where his head is at the moment. These two need to get most of the runs.

Good couple of sessions coming up though!

JJ

Immortal
I have no problem with Strauss - I have no doubt it is hard to tell for the players.

But why would the umpires suddenly stop referring? Makes no sense to me.

Rudi Koertzen has always been awful - clearly it should have been referred... but Hughes looks out of his depth to be honest Flintoff is too good for him

but what about Ponting - if he's adamant they should take fielder's word, he should lead the way... pointless spitting the dummy when others' don't take the word of Australians on dubious calls...

Regardless Aussies have been completely outplayed - until Clarke and Haddin's effort the batting was more NZ like than Aust like... and Mitchell Johnson continue his Brett Lee impersonation

HevyDevy

Coach
Ponting has every right to question it given that Bopara did the same (and the umpires actually listened).

But yes, Johnson has been so bad his place in the side must surely be coming into question. It won't, but it should.

As for tonight, these two need to add another 100 before any real thoughts of victory can enter the equation.

JJ

Immortal
Ponting has every right to question it given that Bopara did the same (and the umpires actually listened).

He does, for sure... But, if he seriously wants everyone to take the fielder's word, he could take the lead and do it himself - to be honest, the Australians have not often been big on that, and complained very loudly when the opposition don't

HevyDevy

Coach
He does, for sure... But, if he seriously wants everyone to take the fielder's word, he could take the lead and do it himself - to be honest, the Australians have not often been big on that, and complained very loudly when the opposition don't

Ponting campaigned loudly for it to be the case but was told NO by the majority of other countries.

Given that's the case and other nations don't want to comply, he would only be putting his side at a disadvantage if he 'took a stand'.

African Monkey

First Grade
Top ten highest run-chases:
1. West Indies (v Australia, St John's, May 9 2003) – 418/7 in 128.5 overs
2. India (v West Indies, Port of Spain, April 7 1976) - 406/4 in 147 overs
3. Australia (v England, Leeds, July 22 1976) – 404/3 in 114.1 overs
4. India (v England, Chennai, December 15 2008) – 387/4 in 98 overs
5. Australia (v West Indies, Georgetown, March 31 1978) – 362/7 in 101 overs
6. Sri Lanka (v South Africa, Colombo, August 4 2006) – 352/9 in 113.3 overs
7. West Indies (v New Zealand, Auckland, February 27 1969) – 348/5 in 69 8-ball overs
8. West Indies (v England, Lord's, June 28 1984) – 344/1 in 66.1 overs
9. Australia (v India, Perth, December 16 1977) – 342/8 in 87.2 8-ball overs
10. South Africa (v Australia, Durban, March 15 2002) – 340/5 in 104.5 overs

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/extra/...et_history&in_article_id=445618&in_page_id=52
Lol they didn't even include South Africa chasing down 414 against Australia last year.

But that was disgraceful from Strauss. He should be ashamed with himself.

HevyDevy

Coach
AM, so many players have said they thought they caught it in similar situations that I believe they are telling the truth.

I place the blame entirely on the umpires for yesterday's debacle.

El Diablo

Post Whore

Ponting is haapy to do that if both captains agree to it at the start of a series. something you know already

El Diablo

Post Whore
Ponting campaigned loudly for it to be the case but was told NO by the majority of other countries.

Given that's the case and other nations don't want to comply, he would only be putting his side at a disadvantage if he 'took a stand'.

and other countries would exploit it by claiming caches knowing the Aussies would walk

African Monkey

First Grade
perhaps, I guess he can sit down with Michael Clarke after the game and ask him how he's coped with the shame
Yes that was appauling as well. And yes hevydevy you are right but Strauss must have known that the ball had touched the ground at some stage and shouldn't have gone up like he did.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I hope Nielson has organised some fringe county paceman and spinners to bowl to our bowlers this morning, could come down to the wire

superdog

Juniors
and what would the ICC do?

knowing our luck they'll replace one of the umpires with Bowden :evil:

he rorted us in 2005

http://icc-cricket.yahoo.net/match_zone/umpire_appointments.php

8-12 JulyEngland v Australia (Test), Cardiff Billy Doctrove and Aleem Dar, Jeff Crowe (referee)

16-20 JulyEngland v Australia (Test), Lord'sBilly Doctrove and Rudi Koertzen, Jeff Crowe (referee)

30 July-3 AugustEngland v Australia (Test), BirminghamRudi Koertzen and Aleem Dar, Jeff Crowe (referee)

7-11 AugustEngland v Australia (Test), LeedsBilly Bowden and Asad Rauf, Ranjan Madugalle (referee)

20-24 AugustEngland v Australia (Test), The OvalBilly Bowden and Asad Rauf, Ranjan Madugalle (referee)

Last edited: