What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ASHES TEST: England v Australia at Lords, July 16-20, 2009

Cletus

First Grade
250 behind, we're some tiny chance of winning this. I doubt we can bat for a draw unless it rains.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Can they hold on for an entire day? I doubt it. Im not concerned about the runs. Australia will have to chase around 200. Can they hold onto the wickets.

TimmyB

Juniors
They don't need to hang around an entire day. We stay in for 2 or so sessions and we win.

To be honest, I'm surprised we took the light in some ways...England need the break physically and to regroup mentally. They'll come out tomorrow with a newish ball and refreshed.

Cletus

First Grade
Chase is reminding me of this match:
http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Matches/MatchScorecard.asp?MatchCode=1484

Ok, so it's a long long way away, but who knows!

That I thought too, although this would be more incredible. 550 for the second innings would have to be some sort of record? edit It would be the highest winning fourth innings and the second highest all time (sorry cricket brings out the nerd in me)
And imagine how we'd be going without the sh*t decisions.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
game on

crucial we negotiate the 1st hour tommorrow, these two guys get their eye in, then who knows

Johnson to hit the winning runs and be 50no?

lockyno1

Post Whore
Andrew Strauss should be f..king ashamed with himself. This is why I swear we need a challenge system, these morons are as useless as Ivan Henjak is at coaching the Broncos!

Great ton to Pup, probably his best knock ever and Haddin can bat. We have the people in the shed to get the job done. First session is crucial. We need to just see Flintoff off.

gong_eagle

First Grade
Given out ... these FoxSports still images show the moment that Andrew Strauss claimed was a catch. The umpires gave Phil Hughes out despite the vision showing the fact the ball hit the turf before Strauss's fingers. Source: FOX SPORTS
972777-ashes-second-test-controversial-catch.jpg

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...at-start-of-play/story-e6frexni-1225751949041

TheParraboy

Staff member
dont know why the referral system was scrapped just for the ashes, we could have been in a far better position that we are, oh well, hopefully we can still win it tomorrow, would be one of our greatest wins ever, considering everything

gong_eagle

First Grade
Top ten highest run-chases:
1. West Indies (v Australia, St John's, May 9 2003) – 418/7 in 128.5 overs
2. India (v West Indies, Port of Spain, April 7 1976) - 406/4 in 147 overs
3. Australia (v England, Leeds, July 22 1976) – 404/3 in 114.1 overs
4. India (v England, Chennai, December 15 2008) – 387/4 in 98 overs
5. Australia (v West Indies, Georgetown, March 31 1978) – 362/7 in 101 overs
6. Sri Lanka (v South Africa, Colombo, August 4 2006) – 352/9 in 113.3 overs
7. West Indies (v New Zealand, Auckland, February 27 1969) – 348/5 in 69 8-ball overs
8. West Indies (v England, Lord's, June 28 1984) – 344/1 in 66.1 overs
9. Australia (v India, Perth, December 16 1977) – 342/8 in 87.2 8-ball overs
10. South Africa (v Australia, Durban, March 15 2002) – 340/5 in 104.5 overs

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/extra/...et_history&in_article_id=445618&in_page_id=52

aussies1st

Staff member
OMFG Clarke didn't get out before stumps! If these two can get in again we are a serious chance.

Both umpires should be immediately sacked from all future test cricket engagements. NOT for their woeful decisions but for an inconsistency in a ruling that cost Hughes his wicket. Bopara under almost identical circumstances was given the benefit of the doubt and not out.

I went to bed before Hughes's dismissal not thinking Australia had a chance in hell to win. And the umpires did everything in their power to hand the Poms a victory on a platter. Australia lost 5 wickets today and THREE of them should never have been given out. THREE!

I also believe some of the blame should lay at Strauss's feet. There is NO WAY in hell he could have known for sure he caught that ball. He should have said something, spoken up about his uncertainty, but the coward Strauss is he said nothing (I did not see the play, so if Strauss did say something to the umpires I apologize to Strauss BUT I find it hard to believe he said anything and the umpires ignored it since this would put both umpires in an even worse light if that is at all possible)

Bigfella

Coach
Everyone is blowing up about the referral system - but this is an on-field umpiring stuff up, the technology exists for that purpose.

Andrew "One Hand One Bounce" Strauss" should be very embarrassed, but not as much as the pommy journalists who bagged Ponting in the first innings about querting the Hauritx catch.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Australia are a huge chance here.

Haddin and Clarke must last at least the 1st hour. Hauritz and Johnson are both good batsmen, i would class them as allrounders if they could bowl.

JJ

Immortal
I also believe some of the blame should lay at Strauss's feet. There is NO WAY in hell he could have known for sure he caught that ball. He should have said something, spoken up about his uncertainty, but the coward Strauss is he said nothing (I did not see the play, so if Strauss did say something to the umpires I apologize to Strauss BUT I find it hard to believe he said anything and the umpires ignored it since this would put both umpires in an even worse light if that is at all possible)

It should - but when Michael Clarke has done exactly the same thing Australian players and fans have shown the same degree of inconsistency as Rudi K

Red Bear

Referee
Both umpires should be immediately sacked from all future test cricket engagements. NOT for their woeful decisions but for an inconsistency in a ruling that cost Hughes his wicket. Bopara under almost identical circumstances was given the benefit of the doubt and not out.
I'm not really fussed about Hughes being Given out (or Katich off a no-ball), there have been sh*tty decisions since the year dot, nothing you can do about it. Inconsistency is what i dislike and these two situations were very similar, you would think if they check with one they would check with the other,

Latest posts