What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd biggest band ever?

gaterooze

Bench
According to RIAA, the bands with the most Gold Records are:

1. The Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
=3. Rush
=3. Kiss

ledzep

Bench
gaterooze said:
According to RIAA, the bands with the most Gold Records are:

1. The Beatles
2. Rolling Stones
=3. Rush
=3. Kiss
it helps when you've released a bucketload of albums, as the stones have

Alex28

Coach
Whilst the Stones have released a heap of albums, they have maintained quality for most of the career and still cut it live. They have a string of tracks that are considered classics and have influenced a generation of bands - i think it's this influence in particular that ranks them second. Zep would be after them...

HevyDevy

Coach
Wow, a lot said about Metallica and much of it very much off track.

They were great in their day but the pile of turd known as St Anger has since assured us that their heyday ended many, many years ago.

The Black album, as good as it was, was also the first indication of what was to come. Bad songs? No but Load and everything after lacked the energy, imagination and technical aptitude of what went before them.

Who said Hetfield/Hammett were the best guitar duo ever? :lol: There are dozens that are better. I love early Metallica but settle down there mate.

Lars a good drummer? He's terrible. He doesn't come close to the elite drummers be it in the metal world, jazz world or even rock world.

In fact, there are many that would suggest Metallica aren't even the best of 'The Big Four'. Most influential certainly but not the best.

As for second biggest of all time, Zeppelin by far.

Incidentally the highest selling single album of all time is The Eagles' Greatest Hits.

Foz

Bench
#3 Rush???

You'd win millions betting on that.

I'd have thought Eagles,Fleetwood Mac,Kiss,Stones,U2 and Queen would have claims to being numbers 2 and 3(sales).
Maybe not so many albums released to grab the gold records.
I can even remember when some idiots were trying to compare Abba to The Beatles.

Rush at 3 absolutely shocks me. (gold records).
You learn something every day.

gaterooze

Bench
Foz said:

I know :lol:

31 years releasing albums without a break counts for something, I guess. Only Jethro Tull matches them in that regard.

hrundi99

First Grade
Foz said:
#3 Rush???

You'd win millions betting on that.

I'd have thought Eagles,Fleetwood Mac,Kiss,Stones,U2 and Queen would have claims to being numbers 2 and 3(sales).
Maybe not so many albums released to grab the gold records.
I can even remember when some idiots were trying to compare Abba to The Beatles.

Abba compare favourably to the Beatles in their ability to write classic pop singles.

No other group in the 70s had the success they did in popularity terms and in providing so many memorable songs.

They don't have anywhere near the cultural impact or influence, but they were very good at what they did.

How about a "Straight Guys Who Like Abba" thread...?

Moffo

Referee
you've got to consider complete quality in terms of answering this question. Any band that has released any amount of sh*t are disqualified

For mine, this automatically takes out Metallica, The Stones and Radiohead.

For the impact that they had on the music scene, the greatest band since 1990 is Nirvana. I'd love to say Pearl Jam but they've put out too much sh*t

Overall, i'd put Queen right up there

Moffo said:
you've got to consider complete quality in terms of answering this question. Any band that has released any amount of sh*t are disqualified

For mine, this automatically takes out Metallica, The Stones and Radiohead.

For the impact that they had on the music scene, the greatest band since 1990 is Nirvana. I'd love to say Pearl Jam but they've put out too much sh*t

Overall, i'd put Queen right up there

If the Stones called it quits at 'Some Girls', they'd be competing with the Beatles for No.1 IMO.

Alex28

Coach
I love the fact that because a band insists on changing their sound, and the fact that they dont want to duplicate their previous work, that they "put out too much sh*t".

Pearl Jam as far as I see it, have released one dud album in the 7 they have released. 'Binaural' is a poor album, but it was part of the evolution process. The majority of their work has been outstanding - the albums they have been bagged for the most - "Vitalogy" and "No Code" - because they dared not to make another "Ten" or "Versus" - are probably their best. "Yield" is also an outstanding album.

Radiohead (and for the record I never ever suggested they are the second biggest band ever) have not released a dud album. They have truly evolved in every sense - they have gone off the beaten track and succeeded every time (even with "Amnesiac" which were essentially Kid A's rejects). Every album they have released has been a sales success and have had critical acclaim - not many bands can say they have had both.

Nirvana never really evolved. "Nevermind" was a more commercial "Bleach". "In Utero" was essentially another "Nevermind". They found the golden ticket and flogged it for with it was worth. Even the stuff they recorded after "In Utero" was not any different to what they released before.

It sh*ts me to no end that a band or artist gets bagged for daring to give us something creatively different to what they have given us before? Why is that a bad thing?

Alex28 said:
Pearl Jam as far as I see it, have released one dud album in the 7 they have released. 'Binaural' is a poor album, but it was part of the evolution process. The majority of their work has been outstanding - the albums they have been bagged for the most - "Vitalogy" and "No Code" - because they dared not to make another "Ten" or "Versus" - are probably their best. "Yield" is also an outstanding album.

I'll dissagree with you there - i even thought 'Binaural' was a pretty good album. Albums such as 'No Code' and 'Yield' may not of spawned monster singles such as 'Daughter' or 'Alive', but they're all pretty complete albums with not much filler and a variety of differant song styles. I perticularly like 'Off He Goes', 'In My Tree' and 'Mankind' from No Code - my favorite Pearl Jam album.

Alex28

Coach
'No Code' was bagged mecilously when it was released because it wasn't another 'Ten' - however the change in sound started with 'Vitalogy'. 'Vitalogy' is probably my fave PJ album, it is in my Top 5 albums ever (If it didn't have 'Heyfoxymama...' it would rate even higher!). But you are right - even with 'Binaural' (which it appears they forgot about writing quality and concentrated on making freaky sounds that sound great on headphones) they have made quality work with very little filler.

I just dont get why someone would want them to make seven "Ten's" rather than make something different every time...

Moffo

Referee
No Code is my favourite Pearl Jam album as well. It is simply a complete album.

Alex, i take your points on board. However, I have sat there many a times to try and get into binaural and even vitalogy and i can't do it. I like 1 or 2 songs off vitalogy but the rest...i dunno, probably just me but i can't buy into it. Binaural...well, lets leave that alone, apart from Light Years and Nothing As It Seems which i like

And Riot Act....well, better then Binaural but still...can't help but feel it misses something. Nothing to do with changing style, i think Pearl Jam only really changed their style once, and that was after the in your face Ten.

I love Pearl Jam. Personally, my favourite band, but I know that they don't qualify as 2nd best band of all time in most peoples eyes

HevyDevy

Coach
Vitalogy was one of their best - Corduroy is my all time fav Pearl Jam song alongside Rearview Mirror. Then you've got Not For You, Tremor Christ, Better Man, Immortality.

I'd put Vitalogy right up there with Ten and Vs. After that though it was always going to be difficult to match that same quality and more importantly the youthful energy that was such a part of Pearl Jam. I like a lot of their older stuff but it lacks something.

As for Metallica, they didn't 'dare' to do something different, they just lost the plot.

As for Nirvana, well if ever an ordinary band has been lauded as legendary it's them. Amazing what blowing your head off can do for your career ...

Latest posts