What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd ODI: Australia v West Indies at Perth Feb 3, 2013

Canard

Immortal
Which shows exactly why cricket has lost the respectibility it once had.

Guys like Allan Border, who earned only $90000 in his final season of international cricket (1993/94, which I know was a lot of money at the time compared to the wages of the average Australian, but no where near as much as what the top contracted players earn today due to all the sponsorships etc.) are worth $1 million any day of the week over people like Maxwell.

Could you imagine how much Don Bradman, Garfield Sobers, Viv Richards, Richard Hadlee etc. would've earned today if they were playing? Especially if you set $1 million as the benchmark for someone like the Big Show. Life's just not fair sometimes

I can't see why that's an issue with the respectability of the sport.

I mean should the players refuse to accept it?

What about Raper, Langlands etc? Is our game lost its respectability?

undertaker

Coach
I can't see why that's an issue with the respectability of the sport.

I mean should the players refuse to accept it?

What about Raper, Langlands etc? Is our game lost its respectability?

You're missing the point...

It's not that the players should or shouldn't accept it. Far out, 90+% of people in this thread would take $1 million to play hit and giggle if it was offered to this. The bottom line is that it's a joke when a player like Glenn Maxwell is offered that amount, and furthermore, even more than those who are far better players and have proven their worth at international level.

If you want to use a rugby league analogy, the correct one to use (instead of Raper, Langlands etc.) is the Super League war, where nuffies such as Bouveng and Scott Fulton got in the vicinity of $400-500k/season, which is more money than the majority of players in the game today (both the numerical amount and 2013 adjusted-for-inflation amount). Such a travesty that exorbitant amounts of money were wasted.

I can't help but to smile with glee that the IPL will soon go under and all those players who put T20 ahead of their country will be faced with a huge reality check and take a massive paycut.

Last edited:

Jason Maher

Immortal
What a hack this a George Bailey bloke is. Can anyone explain to me what the hell he is doing in the Australian team?

Dutchy

Immortal
He's deserved this 100 all summer. People are too critical on him, he averages over 40. I know his rise to captaincy was a bit iffy. But he's done well with that too. Good cricketer.

Good finisher too by the looks of it.

undertaker

Coach
George Bailey on fire here. He's the reason Australia got over 200. At one stage, they were lucky to get to 150 and have not just got over 200, but got to 266!