What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: Australia v South Africa @ MCG Dec 26-29, 2022

Meth

Staff member
See, now I'm hearing the ABC commentary talking about how Warner is obviously not going to come out tonight to resume his innings if a wicket falls, but instead he probably had a few ice baths and rub downs and getting all refreshed to come out and bat tomorrow.... That's rubbish. Either stick it it out or get the f**k out, seriously....

not how it works, ever

BunniesMan

Immortal
The South African bowlers have given up and I don't blame them. Fast bowling is a huge effort at the best of times. Let alone in near 40 degree heat. Let alone with your top order failing over and over again so even good bowling performances like the last test have no chance of winning you the game.

Incorrect

Coach
not how it works, ever
Dude, I can get on board if a guy breaks his finger, leg or brain because of direct result of the game in which they're playing... But cramp is highly subjective and hard to question.... Warner was no doubt so emotionally up for this match, I reckon it might have contributed to his nervous energy being spent, the cramp came a great time for a bit of a lie down and an early clock off....

mave

Coach
The South African bowlers have given up and I don't blame them. Fast bowling is a huge effort at the best of times. Let alone in near 40 degree heat. Let alone with your top order failing over and over again so even good bowling performances like the last test have no chance of winning you the game.

If Warner hadn't run off the field at the change of innings in the last session yesterday, he would have had more energy to bat today.

Could have made 400 tbh.

Desert Qlder

First Grade
I don’t like the guy, and am heartily sick of the melodrama Warner brings to the game.

But I don’t think any cricketer willingly gives up 200+ when they are seeing the ball like a melon and the bowlers are throwing turnips.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Retiring hurt cause of cramp or heat doesn't sit right with me... Dean Jones' innings in Madras was far more adverse than what Davey has experienced today... I reckon he should be prohibited from resuming his innings tbh....

Deano ended up in the hospital for dehydration and was in a pretty bad way AB wouldn't let him retire

Thankfully we have people who look after the players nowadays, he probably should have retired earlier but understandably didn't

Bazal

Post Whore
Deano ended up in the hospital for dehydration and was in a pretty bad way AB wouldn't let him retire

Thankfully we have people who look after the players nowadays, he probably should have retired earlier but understandably didn't

Also had permanent issues afterwards IIRC? I remember an interview with him, maybe that show Crash Craddock did or something, where he said he actually rarely if ever went back to India until a long time later because of it.

Incorrect

Coach

Isn't all of that extreme conditions stuff part of "Test" cricket? Dilip Vengsarkar or Mo Azharuddin might have batted just as long as Deano that day/s with no issues, but we're playing in their backyard in their conditions. Suck it up. Which DJ did. Is it any different to Graham Arnold having to juggle his bench and replacements when playing qualifiers in the middle east? Those are the conditions you're faced with, deal with them. FIFA don't let us bring on a guy to replace a bloke with a cramp and then bring the original bloke back on when he's feeling better.....

Wizardman

First Grade
See, now I'm hearing the ABC commentary talking about how Warner is obviously not going to come out tonight to resume his innings if a wicket falls, but instead he probably had a few ice baths and rub downs and getting all refreshed to come out and bat tomorrow.... That's rubbish. Either stick it it out or get the f**k out, seriously....
There is no doubt Warner was very much hurting when he retired hurt. I agree with you that the rule essentially sucks. Warner retired hurt due to the conditions...he should not be allowed to have a rest and come back tomorrow. That battle of bowling to Warner should have been won by SA the minute Warner retired. For Warner to come back fresh and healthy pretty much renders any bowling efforts to wear him down useless.
The rule is a dud one.

Bazal

Post Whore
Warner breaks a pinky, no one whinges.

Warner gets massively dehydrated and cramps from 37 degree heat....*screeches*

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Old mate Deano embellished that incident I reckon. When it first happened it was 40 degrees and he needed a drip. When he wrote his first book it was 45 degrees and he needed 4 drips and lost 10 kg and AB had asked him if he was a man. When he started commenting it became 50 degrees, 10 drips and he nearly died, he had lost 30kg and AB was demanding to see his passport. At the end (RIP) it was 70 degrees, he needed 50 drips, he died twice, lost 50kgs and AB had put a shotgun to his head and told he was dead if he left the field.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Bat at least half a day tomorrow, maybe longer. Get over 350 ahead. Bit of rain about from late morning

We may have issues with both Green and Starc bowling ?

Wouldnt be supirsed Head and even Smithy rol the arm over for a good few

Fangs

Coach
Would definately like to see some leggies if we are short tomorrow. Nothing better than some rough outside leg. I highly doubt Green bowls. His finger is worth 3 million rubles. Starc might get through some overs.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Would definately like to see some leggies if we are short tomorrow. Nothing better than some rough outside leg. I highly doubt Green bowls. His finger is worth 3 million rubles. Starc might get through some overs.

Yeah Green unlikely

Hearing mixed reports on Starc. We should still have enough artillary to win it, be quite a cool day tomorrow by the looks, so good to keep them in the field today a bit

Bowl Boland to the ground if need be 😊, then drop him for Haze in Sydney :D

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he should not be allowed to have a rest and come back tomorrow.

I agree,

but he didn't leave "to have a rest", he left the field to receive medical attention and he had to be assisted to get off the ground

big difference

Latest posts