What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch on Feb 20-24, 2016

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Why does he have to walk? Serious question as I don't follow cricket all that closely these days. Does McCullum criticse others for not walking?
I don't have a problem with anyone standing their ground, but it was a problem by a few on here last test but they haven't said boo about it today.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Why does he have to walk? Serious question as I don't follow cricket all that closely these days. Does McCullum criticse others for not walking?

He can absolutely stand his ground it takes about ten seconds to check. Its just some kiwis were whinging about Smith doing it.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
I don't have a problem with anyone standing their ground, but it was a problem by a few on here last test but they haven't said boo about it today.

Fair enough, but the sniping from others at McCullum's image started (more so the sort of comments that imply his image being an act and a myth) well before this series. Just not sure how the attitude's of a few NZ cricket fans on a league forum reflect upon McCullum.

Like I said, don't follow cricket much beyond what happens on the field so was more curious if it was something McCullum had said or done previously or if it was just the usual banter that goes on around here.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Henry with a higher strike rate than McCullum. Look out......

Jason Gillespie must look at how our tail bats and think to himself "WTF are these merkins doing?"

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Fair enough, but the sniping from others at McCullum's image started (more so the sort of comments that imply his image being an act and a myth) well before this series. Just not sure how the attitude's of a few NZ cricket fans on a league forum reflect upon McCullum.

Like I said, don't follow cricket much beyond what happens on the field so was more curious if it was something McCullum had said or done previously or if it was just the usual banter that goes on around here.
Well he did have a dig at Smith when he chose uphold the appeal against Stokes when stuck his glove to supposedly save him from being run out. So he has some form at being a little holier then thou.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Well he did have a dig at Smith when he chose uphold the appeal against Stokes when stuck his glove to supposedly save him from being run out. So he has some form at being a little holier then thou.

Yeah, fair, but in such an unusual situation (I literally just youtubed it, who knows where I was at the time because I missed it) I suppose everyone had an opinion and you could make an argument for either out or not out and not really be wrong.

Just reading the article, McCullum makes direct comparisons with some of his own early indiscretions that he admits he regrets. It's very much a "I wouldn't do that now, but probably would have earlier in my career" article that is as reflective of his own experience as the current situation he's discussing. Feels more like he's thinking out loud than directly attacking Smith, but that's just my intepretation of it.

To me it just comes across to me as McCullum having his own beliefs, and when they don't match up to how other individuals interpet them then somehow he's not living up to it.

Unless he's come out and actually stated his beliefs/ten commandments, in which case he's on his own. :p

Meth

Staff member
Well thats a 100 and the record, we can't complain about luck after the last test but this has been just a hit and hope thart has payed off on the piddly little NZ ground.

This is making a mockery of test cricket.

Who's being a whiney little bitch now? :lol:

Meth

Staff member
Went to the beach and missed the fun. Sounds like McCullum had a good send off

Pete Cash

Post Whore
That's your opinion, I can see it the other way.

The umpire cant rule on intent because they cant read stokes mind. What they can go off is the fact he stuck his hand in the path of a ball that wasnt going to hit him.

Lots of dismissals are brain snaps. Handle the ball is normally just instinctive but its still out because the umpire can only rule on what he sees.

Now if the ball was going to hit him fair enough but it wasnt

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
The umpire cant rule on intent because they cant read stokes mind. What they can go off is the fact he stuck his hand in the path of a ball that wasnt going to hit him.

Lots of dismissals are brain snaps. Handle the ball is normally just instinctive but its still out because the umpire can only rule on what he sees.

Now if the ball was going to hit him fair enough but it wasnt

and that would be why the umpire gave it out in the end, but the main point of the debate, from what I can see, is whether Smith should have upheld his appeal to begin with.

And like I said originally, that's a debate that is valid in either direction (although looking at my original post the wording is geared more towards the umpires decision than Smith's.)

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Smith claims he only upheld the appeal because he thought it had cost us a wicket taking chance. Now we cant go off to a parallel universe where Stokes interfered with the field in a position where a wicket taking chance wasnt on.

Id like to think he would have withdrew the appeal if a dismissal wasnt on. Like when inzy got out lazily pushing the ball back to the field halfway down the wicket