What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Christchurch on Feb 20-24, 2016

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Anyway its a lot harder to cheat now days. Umpires will just call a batsman back. Remember KP getting "caught" by Dhoni.

I dont believe that Lyon is a cheat. McCullum likely doesnt think that Lyon is a cheat. Sometimes it can be a bit touch and go with those diving forward catches. I used to think it was just black and white but I have heard enough elite cricketers say that there are times they are genuinely not sure if a catch is taken that I now give fieldsmen the benefit of the doubt. Especially with the amount of cameras on a game. Its very rare that a bounced catch will be given now. Its all good guys.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
His fielding is very, very useful. Its the best we have fielded for ages. I just have caught up with the highlights because I missed most of McCullums innings. Man that no ball catch from Marsh is the best catch he has ever took lol.

Patto, bad patto.

vvvrulz

Coach
Meh, just a slogfest
With such good batting conditions we should have cracked a bigger score

Great day for Baz though, good for him

Pete Cash

Post Whore
For the record I dont think Nevill would do anything as blatant as the Greg Dyer dismissal. Its been a while since I have seen it but didnt he literally pick the ball up from behind him off the ground and claim it out. I don't think any of the current Australians would be willing to cheat that much lol.

Maybe Haddin when he was there.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Meh, just a slogfest
With such good batting conditions we should have cracked a bigger score

Great day for Baz though, good for him

What good batting conditions? Did you miss the first session? We woulda been rolled for under 200 without the slogging.

chigurh

Anyway, very entertaining day. Probably the best example of riding your luck I can remember but that's sport I guess.

Some of the tactics weren't great and kind of turned it into a limited overs slog fest of sorts, which of course suited the kiwis down to a tee. We need to be in at stumps tomorrow to still be in the running for the world #1

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Good lesson for Smith anyway. So far I have given him and Lehmann a massive thumbs up with the tactics they have used in tests. They have really strangled Williamson (although I expect Williamson to show some class in the second dig. He is that sort of chap).

Sometimes though something so crazy happens in test cricket and you need to adapt. A guy going berserk doesnt happen often. I hope Smith has learnt from it. I would rather it happens now in a series we cant lose (although missing out on the world number 1 spot would be a kick in the balls) then a tight Ashes series with Stokes going mental.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Anyway, very entertaining day. Probably the best example of riding your luck I can remember but that's sport I guess.

Some of the tactics weren't great and kind of turned it into a limited overs slog fest of sorts, which of course suited the kiwis down to a tee. We need to be in at stumps tomorrow to still be in the running for the world #1

The slow over rate was brilliantly executed by Australia.

Fortunately with no spinner, NZ won't look bad for falling behind the over rate tomorrow.

JJ

Immortal
Lyon is adorable,adorable people don't cheat, guys like Dave Warner or Steve Smith would prob try and cheat though if they could get away with it lol

you're on fire... adorable though, nah, needs no make-up to be an X-Files extra

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Good lesson for Smith anyway. So far I have given him and Lehmann a massive thumbs up with the tactics they have used in tests. They have really strangled Williamson (although I expect Williamson to show some class in the second dig. He is that sort of chap).

Sometimes though something so crazy happens in test cricket and you need to adapt. A guy going berserk doesnt happen often. I hope Smith has learnt from it. I would rather it happens now in a series we cant lose (although missing out on the world number 1 spot would be a kick in the balls) then a tight Ashes series with Stokes going mental.

I disagree Pete, its quite normal for Bmac. It has come off bigger before too. UAE and SL here in 2014 spring to mind. It doesn't always end being bowled for a duck.

I liked the fly slip and backstop fielding positions. They were clever if non effectual. He did stop edging it down there when the fielders were there.

Last edited:

chigurh

I agree Pete. Good learning opportunity for Smith. Hazlewood too.

He was always going to come out swinging, and given the pressure of finally beating Aust in a test series was gone as a result of the first test thumping it was no surprise to see him continue to swing hard even when it was obvious that quite a lot of shots weren't going where he intended.

ANTiLAG

First Grade

He was always going to come out swinging, and given the pressure of finally beating Aust in a test series was gone as a result of the first test thumping it was no surprise to see him continue to swing hard even when it was obvious that quite a lot of shots weren't going where he intended.

There is still the pressure to draw the series and not lose it. Its not the ashes where the retainer takes all

JJ

Immortal

Man you're bitter at yet another remarkable Baz innings - shame you lot never play us, or you'd realise that he's done this relatively often - yes, there's some luck involved, but it's not all luck - and all batsmen have luck

Some love citing the World Cup final - he's always aggressive and it doesn't always work

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Man you're bitter at yet another remarkable Baz innings - shame you lot never play us, or you'd realise that he's done this relatively often - yes, there's some luck involved, but it's not all luck - and all batsmen have luck

Some love citing the World Cup final - he's always aggressive and it doesn't always work

I think some of them are in a little bit of shock. A record fast test 100 can do that to people. It was meant to be Australia's day. They won the toss. Got Williamson for nix. It was all going to plan nicely.

They've forgotten that they're probably still ahead in the game, just because of the brutal innings Bmac played on a greenie after a top order collapse to bring NZ back into the match when it seemed to be going down the gurgler on the first morning. He changed the momentum of the match. One of his best innings, if he repeats it in the second innings, could be his finest test match ever.

Last edited:

chigurh

Honestly I'm not really bitter - if it wasn't for that knock the game is probably close to being over by now, just like stumps day 1 of the last test. Just seems like he tried to use his brain last game with a series victory on the line and it failed, and today he batted differently.