What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2SM: Souths to sign Craig Wing

legend

Coach
Corey's dad is Garry, who is currently at Souths. I'll find out on Tuesday when I talk to Graeme but I'm almost certain Corey will be a bunny next year.

Penance

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/sundaytelegraph/story/0,22049,20819849-5006066,00.html

Wing's allegiance to Bondi

By David Riccio
November 26, 2006 12:00

CRAIG Wing has slammed the door on becoming rugby union's premier poaching target by revealing he wants to become a Sydney Rooster for life.

It's understood that ARU officials preparing to raid rugby league's ranks have underlined Wing as a top-name signing. But despite a season muddied by controversy, distress and innuendo, Wing wants to become one of the Roosters' greatest clubmen.
"When I first came here (2000) I wanted to finish my career at the club and that hasn't changed,'' Wing said. "I'm not one to jump around from club to club. I've only played for the Coogee Wombats, Souths and the Roosters. I would love to finish here.''
Wing will be a free agent on July 1. "I'm 26, I'm not going to be signing many more contracts, so I would prefer a four-year deal rather than a one- or two-,'' Wing said.
"The Roosters will obviously have plans for the future and whether I'm in them or not is entirely up to them.''
On the Roosters' list of players with the most first grade games, Wing is equal 10th alongside Brendan Hall with 156. Overtaking Luke Ricketson's record of 301 games is an enticing carrot for Wing.
"It's been in my mind that playing the most number of games is quite an achievable goal for me,'' Wing said. "And so is becoming a life member of the club. I think that's all very achievable and exciting to think about. Not many players get that opportunity.''
Out of form and favour, Wing was rumoured to have pleaded for a release from the Roosters just four months ago. There were relentless reports that a $250,000 contract was waiting for his signature at Penrith.
Wing denied wanting to leave Bondi but described the past 12 months as his toughest to date in the game. "It was quite a stressful and depressing time,'' Wing said. "There was a new club every week.
"I was supposedly going to St George and Penrith. It just dragged on the whole year. I was always contracted until the end of next year, so it surprised me when it all came out. It was really distracting and took a lot of time and energy.''
A four-week soul-searching holiday last month has cleared his mind. "I had a really, really good break,'' Wing said. "I was away for about a month overseas and then went surfing up the Gold Coast with some friends.
"I had a good time away and you do a lot of thinking when you are away. I came back really refreshed and with a good attitude.''
Roosters coach Chris Anderson sought a one-on-one meeting with Wing. "He came off a negative season and I wanted to know where he was at,'' Anderson said. "He's hugely important to the Roosters. He's a good player and a good athlete.''
Anderson is leaning towards using Wing at hooker next season. However, Wing has been training throughout the early stages of the Roosters' pre-season at halfback and five-eighth. "I see him as our starting hooker to start with,'' Anderson said.
"We're going to give him a shot there and see how he goes. He's got a few strings to his bow, a bit of utility value for us. He got a bit bored at hooker last year but hopefully, with us getting some more front-rowers, our go-forward will be better and we should create more opportunities there for him.''

Inferno

Coach
lol, that article was 6 months ago.

A lot has happened in Rugby League in just the last 7 days.

Penance

Juniors
Inferno said:
lol, that article was 6 months ago.

A lot has happened in Rugby League in just the last 7 days.
True. And plus even if he stays with the roosters, he wont be a one club man...

So whats the use of staying? lol

_Johnsy

Referee
The signing is not hughes or perry, matter of fact it is not a dog.

it is Dave Q & he is playing for peanuts.

Titanic

First Grade
With the honeymoon over, Souths have fallen into the scoring once a week routine.

kooriguy

Juniors
its kurtley beale.. remember you heard it here first.. he is my 2nd cuz and he is in talks with souths management as we speak.

sydraider

First Grade
kooriguy said:
its kurtley beale.. remember you heard it here first.. he is my 2nd cuz and he is in talks with souths management as we speak.

Would be an awesome coup if it is true. The yawn yawns particularlky the waratards have a fair bit pegged on this guy.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I'm not a Souths supporter, but please let it be Beale!!!!

I know a union troll from TFC that will be very disappointed....:lol:

Latest posts