What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd ASHES TEST: @ Headingley, Leeds July 6-10, 2023

JJ

Immortal
Cummins is an incredibly passive, tactically incapable captain. It was always going to be a problem but I didn't think he'd be this poor tbh. I guess that's what happens when you pick your captain based on a popularity contest. I think it's affecting his bowling as well.

Still very confident we don't lose this series and probably win it, but FMD we've made it hard on ourselves. 251 would have been enough with the right fields and bowling changes.
Both teams have been hard on themselves to be fair

they have to pick Foakes, surely? They won’t of course, and I think your mob will double down too

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'm going to sound like Chappelli here so horse blankets on.

The coach has too much say in what goes on in the field. England went at 5 an over in this chase and didn't really go mad, the cheap singles available because their were blokes on the fence from the outset cost us any chance of scoreboard pressure or keeping one guy at one end.

Yet Cummins did nothing, its like he's been given a set of instructions by the coaches and just follows that game plan regardless of whats happening.

Head should be made vice captain now too.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Lol. Come on lad you know that's not accurate.

The bowling coach and the bowling group make the bowling plans, sure. But the captain makes just about all the on field calls. Including adapting, changing, or throwing the plan out the window if it's clearly not working. That's the bit Cummins sucks at
It's not local 5th grade mate

gUt

Coach
Who does then?? I’m sure he and the coaches make the plans with the bowling group but if he isn’t smart enough to see it’s not working out on the field has no business being captain. I was chatting to my best mates two sons who are 14 and 12 respectively and decent cricketers and they asked me what the hell is going on with the negative tactics? If kids that young can see it why can’t Greta?
1688940527909.png

bazza

Immortal
We lost it when we let England go from 7/142 to 237 in 1st innings.

Wrap them up for 170 we win
probably cost 50 runs with that after lunch bowling display and at least 50 in the second innings batting

but batting display was the worst of the tour and the main reason for the loss - when you are only defending 200 odd it is a lottery given that England bats can put a few overs together

Valheru

Coach
Cummins just isn't a captain, we all know that. He ticks the virtue signalling box and that's about it.

Smith should be captain but if they don't have the guts to do that then Head is the only other logical option, maybe Carey at a stretch.

We also missed the GOAT yesterday, we essentially had a 2 pronged attack with Cummins and Starc.

bazza

Immortal
nice to see Cummins now back to being a virtue signalling/captain planet/greta wannabe after a loss

hineyrulz

Post Whore
nice to see Cummins now back to being a virtue signalling/captain planet/greta wannabe after a loss
I’ve been critical of his tactics from the first ball of the tour. Winning a couple of tests against an average and stupid English team won’t change that. He was badly exposed again last night, his hypocritical stance on the Alinta deal is just the cherry on top

Eelectrica

Referee
The scary thing is they think the tactics are working because England aren’t going at 6 an over. 5 is totally ok though apparently.

Boland is done. He had his 15 minutes of fame so he can be happy with that.

Hazlewood comes back in. That’s an obvious one. If we’re not going to trust Murphy, we might as well play Neser in the spin slot.
Hopefull Neser goes well in his county game.

Hopefully Labs realises he’s not as great as he thinks he is and knuckles down. Right now he thinks he’s the heir apparent from Smithy. Not even close to that though. That notion needs to be knocked out of his head.

Hopefully England keep Bairstow. He’s down on confidence and way out of form.
We really don’t want this series to go down to a decider though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Boland will (and should) play again on decks that suit him a bit more, probs home summer.

Cummins captaincy is rubbish but not as rubbish as people criticising him for dating to have opinions outside cricket lol

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Boland will (and should) play again on decks that suit him a bit more, probs home summer.

Cummins captaincy is rubbish but not as rubbish as people criticising him for dating to have opinions outside cricket lol
I don’t mind him having opinions outside of cricket, I just thinks his opinions make him look a hypocrite.

Bazal

Post Whore
I don’t mind him having opinions outside of cricket, I just thinks his opinions make him look a hypocrite.

Eh. People can learn and change or just reach the point where they need to say some shit or have a viewpoint change or whatever

I used to think it was ok to call people homophobic slurs. I got better. Anyway different chat I reckon. He's still a rubbish captain.