What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v England at Perth Dec 13-17, 2013

DC_fan

Coach
Unless rain interferes (not expected to do so) there should be no reason we cant do the poms again.

It will be interesting to see what changes England make. Theey have to make some.

bazza

Immortal
Depends if Watson is going to bowl.

If he is there's no need for 5 pace bowlers. That's overkill.

Lyon can do better in Perth with the bounce imo.

Yep - if Watson is good to bowl then keep the same team - if he can't bowl bring in Faulkner who is also mentally tough enough with the bat to make a start and throw it away

Liddell

Juniors
Woah.

Smith needs time to settle in to the team. He's played reasonably well of late and given the lack of options we need to stick with him.

And Coulter Nile is a bowling all rounder. Totally the wrong replacement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Smith fan.

Was just wondering if C-N was in any kind of form with the bat. A quick all rounder would be a better option at Perth IMO.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hughes is 46 n.o. currently. He scores a ton today and big question marks have to be hanging over Rogers.

Bailey also. There are half a dozen middle order batsmen in the Shield who have done more in the last month than he has in the last 18 months.

I'd drop Rogers and Bailey and move Watson to 6. Lyon was shit in this last test, I reckon 4 quicks would do the job. Warner and Smith are more than enough for spin in Perth.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Don't get me wrong, I'm a Smith fan.

Was just wondering if C-N was in any kind of form with the bat. A quick all rounder would be a better option at Perth IMO.

If they wanted a quick all rounder they'd probably go for Faulkner.

And I haven't been happy with Smiths form but there is no way he deserves to be dropped before Rogers and Bailey.

Red Bear

Referee
If Watson isn't going to bowl, then I'd bring in a tall paceman, just to take advantage of the bounce, who can handle the bat okay
Well he bowled in Adelaide when needed so why wouldnt he bowl over there? Handy option to keep the runs down and create pressure
Hughes is 46 n.o. currently. He scores a ton today and big question marks have to be hanging over Rogers.

Bailey also. There are half a dozen middle order batsmen in the Shield who have done more in the last month than he has in the last 18 months.

I'd drop Rogers and Bailey and move Watson to 6. Lyon was shit in this last test, I reckon 4 quicks would do the job. Warner and Smith are more than enough for spin in Perth.
The way your loverboy is going to help his cause best of all is to continue plowing runs in the shield, ala Hayden and Martyn, for an extended period of time. Coming back in the side and failing yet again would be a disaster.

The best thing about winning is we can keep a bit of stability in the side, which I'm happy to do. Rogers did a very good job in the first innings of this test, batting through the most difficult time, and Bailey hit a handy half ton, leaving us in a decent position at the end of day one. Rogers ensuring we went in 0 down in Brisbane was also pretty handy. Keep the side together for now, the players who havent yet scored big runs have all shown decent signs.

Squad is the same 12 as the first two tests with Bollinger and NCN on stand by if they decide to not play Lyon I guess

Joely01

Bench
Just saw on FoxSports there is no changes to squad for Perth, Dougy on stand by though....

jargan83

Coach

Bugger off with your Hughes love you tard

Bailey who is coming off a solid 50 in the Test Australia just won by heaps and so is Rogers after scoring 70.

Both should have gone on with it but neither should be dropped

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well he bowled in Adelaide when needed so why wouldnt he bowl over there? Handy option to keep the runs down and create pressure
The weather conditions in Adelaide were quite good for bowling though.

He is going to be required to bowl more than 9 overs in Perth, especially if we field first.

He didn't have any impact real impact with the ball. He bowled all of what, 7 overs after taking his only wicket (in the first innings) for the rest of the game.

If we are to stay sharp, he's going to have to shoulder a much bigger workload and I'm not sure he's capable of it.

Brisbane 1st Inns - Watson bowled 0 of 52 overs
Brisbane 2nd Inns - Watson bowled 2 of 81 overs
Adelaide 1st Inns - Watson bowled 3 of 68 overs
Adelaide 2nd Inns - Watson bowled 6 of 101 overs

He's barely barely an all rounder in this series. He hasn't pulled his weight yet in this series.

JJ

Immortal

There are big questions hanging over Rogers, Watson, Smith, Bailey and to a lesser extent Warner... but Hughes is not the answer to any of those questions.

tumbidragon

First Grade
bfvr.jpg

[youtube]S7nXGKBN3Sw[/youtube]

TheParraboy

Staff member
If Sunshine fails in Perth (and we regain the ashes) we really need to give Faulkner a run at no6 (or no 7, Haddin at 6)

Cant see it happening, but we do need to kick his ass out of the side if we are to become no1 test side again. Hopefully Warner and Bailey continue to improve, which would mean our batting would be a lot more formidable than in recent years. Our pace battery is set for a while when every one is fit and itching to play test cricket

England don't have the guts but If they are serious they will drop Swann, rest Panesar and have a 4 pace attack. Bresnan and Finn would be my picks. Yes Finn can be a little eractic but he does take wickets.

Smith is the future, stick with him and give him a chance to find his spot in the team. Khawaja has been cruelled by these half chances that were given to him while Hughes got many solid opportunities to cement his spot and repeatedly failed.

If anyone deserves to be bounced it's Sunshine.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The way your loverboy is going to help his cause best of all is to continue plowing runs in the shield, ala Hayden and Martyn, for an extended period of time. Coming back in the side and failing yet again would be a disaster.

The best thing about winning is we can keep a bit of stability in the side, which I'm happy to do. Rogers did a very good job in the first innings of this test, batting through the most difficult time, and Bailey hit a handy half ton, leaving us in a decent position at the end of day one. Rogers ensuring we went in 0 down in Brisbane was also pretty handy. Keep the side together for now, the players who havent yet scored big runs have all shown decent signs.

Squad is the same 12 as the first two tests with Bollinger and NCN on stand by if they decide to not play Lyon I guess

1. If he had the Waugh brothers and Taylor and Slater and Ponting infront of him yes he'd have to put in years of results. One player picked in this team has averaged 20 over the last year in 1st class cricket. To think you need the same standards you need when the team was filled with stars is crazy.
2. He didn't fail last time. He did no worse than multiple other players who keep getting picked.
3. This isn't all about Hughes. Bailey isn't good enough, I want Bailey gone and I don't want Hughes to replace him. Just because we are winning does not mean we should stick with passengers.

Last edited:

Latest posts