What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v England at Perth Dec 13-17, 2013

Seriously... you're pretty f**ked if that's the case

Not entirely. Waugh faltered early in his career. We've been in such a rush to fill the big shoes left behind by the last generation of greats that the ACB to give players a decent opportunity (save maybe Phil WilliamGilbertGrace,) to prove themselves. Give him some time, and if he doesn't improve, then move him on. There's a huge amount of pressure on the young players to go out there and make immediate impact within the team.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Not entirely. Waugh faltered early in his career. We've been in such a rush to fill the big shoes left behind by the last generation of greats that the ACB to give players a decent opportunity (save maybe Phil WilliamGilbertGrace,) to prove themselves. Give him some time, and if he doesn't improve, then move him on. There's a huge amount of pressure on the young players to go out there and make immediate impact within the team.
I 100% agree with this. Some Guy and Agar were both dropped after 1 bad test. Horrible impatience. Throw in the likes of Krejza and Hodge as other examples over the last few years. Steve Waugh himself has said he would never have made it if he was given the same treatment by selectors That Guy got.
LOL @ the word filter. Thanks gimp, you've f**ked it for everyone now.

Cool story bro. Keep blaming me for something I haven't done.

JJ

Immortal

Steve Waugh failed against the likes of Hadlee... but it was always obvious he had a good technique etc... Smith looks ordinary IMO

JJ

Immortal
Gerry 'Ged' Stokes. Used to coach Whitehaven & some other side.

Played club RL in NZ

Gerard Stokes - played for the Kiwis, no tests though, and succesful coach of Canterbury - I'd imagine his boy is tough

lockyno1

Post Whore
Another thread and another "I want WilliamGilbertGrace to bone him" by BunniesMan lol

If you balanced Watto - bowls a couple of overs and bats and gets a 50 or so, and weigh that up against James Pattinson who is on the come back - fug me - get him to bat 6 for 50 or so runs and bowl a couple of overs.

You lose nothing.

Steve Waugh failed against the likes of Hadlee... but it was always obvious he had a good technique etc... Smith looks ordinary IMO

And England were the top Test nation no more than 12 months ago with a relatively similar attack.

He does look out of sorts, but he has scored about a half dozen 50's and a ton and that's in 14 matches. Give the lad some time. Marcus North got two years to show the world he was f**king useless.

African Monkey

First Grade
And England were the top Test nation no more than 12 months ago with a relatively similar attack.

He does look out of sorts, but he has scored about a half dozen 50's and a ton and that's in 14 matches. Give the lad some time. Marcus North got two years to show the world he was f**king useless.
No need to drop Steve Smith. I never rated him when he first came onto the scene but he has steadily improved and he definitely deserves the rest of the ashes at least to prove himself.

On the England side of things, I'd go all pace. No need to play Swann there but they won't have the balls to drop him.

JJ

Immortal

Yep, agree... wasn't arguing he should be dropped, because I don't actually see anyone better at the moment - unless BM is right, and WilliamGilbertGrace warrants a recall, but he seems to be arguing that's as opener...

More just that on what I've seen of Smith (like WilliamGilbertGrace) I don't see how he's going to be anything other than a mediocre test cricketer... which would be fine if he was a Kiwi, but we're talking Australia here... as I keep saying, you have one quality player in your top 6, 5 mediocre ones... and Haddin who is excellent at 7... c.f. NZ who have two quality players in the top 6 (admittedly lower quality than Clarke) and 4 mediocre or worse ones and an excellent #7, and England who current performances notwithstanding have Cook, Troot, Pieterson and Bell who are all quality, Root who clearly will be and Prior... and the Jaapies who aside from a second opener in tests ooz quality.

Anyway, Perth will suit the Aussies more and I assume the same team will play - the Poms should have Bresnan back, and showed some signs of life in Adelaide, despite being pumped again...

JJ

Immortal
Problem with that is the the English "fast" bowlers are medium pace

Broad is quick enough, and Finn was... not sure what's gone wrong with him, a year ago he looked the goods.

Despite the lack of pace, Tremlett also might be awkward on that wicket...

Regardless, I don't see their bowling as their problem, they've done enough in that regard, and if they'd taken their chances Adelaide would have been closer...

It's their batting that's an issue - Cook, Root, Pieterson and Bell need to perform, simple as that

The English bowlers have only taken 10 wickets in an innings once, and that was the 1st innings at the Gabba. I'd say their bowlers need to do some soul searching as well. Bresnan should be played if fit for Perth.

The Aussies have been fortunate that in every innings thus far there has been a partnership that have been willing to put their hands up and dig in and really value their wicket. England need that.

typicalfan

Coach
Adelaide was a great wicket to bat on and England still struggled. Australia only lost 12 wickets in the match

Latest posts