What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test - Australia v England @ Old Trafford

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
there is no hope of getting the runs and it should be the furthest thing from our mind

I beleive that the runs should always be in the back of thier mind, especially with the extra overs that we'll get

this should keep them batting positively all day and may get us a little look in

the equation is simple, we need 400 runs, there are 98 overs. we need to score at 4 an over. Australia normally score quicker than that anyway. If they have a solid platform from langer ponting and Hayden then I beleive they can get those runs

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
disagree twizzle
guess thats y u support parra and i support the sharks
we have not looked like firing (our batting) all series
this is a 5th day wicket and we require 400 to win
its only an extra 8 overs and we may not even get them in.
if we bat positively ure luck could only get u so far, i doubt it could get u to 400, considering not 1 of our batters accept warne is in form.

if we bat for survival work it round somehow get to 2\200 at tea then maybe we have a crack cause its only a run a ball. but even then i would be weary. scoring 400 in a day is way out of t he question. id bat with no risks. if the runs come they come.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
disagree twizzle
guess thats y u support parra and i support the sharks
we have not looked like firing (our batting) all series
this is a 5th day wicket and we require 400 to win
its only an extra 8 overs and we may not even get them in.
if we bat positively ure luck could only get u so far, i doubt it could get u to 400, considering not 1 of our batters accept warne is in form.

if we bat for survival work it round somehow get to 2\200 at tea then maybe we have a crack cause its only a run a ball. but even then i would be weary. scoring 400 in a day is way out of t he question. id bat with no risks. if the runs come they come.

What your saying is true, none of our batters are in form and we are at long odds to make these runs. However it is only a matter of time before at least 1 of our batters make a big score. Assuming we end up in a situation of 2/250 (unlikely but well and truely possible) with 25 overs remaining, you can't honestly say that the runs would not be in the back of the Ausies mind.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Twizzle said:
I beleive that the runs should always be in the back of thier mind, especially with the extra overs that we'll get

this should keep them batting positively all day and may get us a little look in

I believe they will do what is "sensible". That is just bat until an hour after lunch and if we then require 200-220 with wickets in hand (about 8 is required) then they may have a crack at it in the final session. The only problem with going for it is that Clarke is going to be as bad as he was in the first innings due to his injury so you are really batting with 6 frontliners and then Warne who can bat a bit too. The lineup is a bit thin!

lockyno1 said:
I believe they will do what is "sensible". That is just bat until an hour after lunch and if we then require 200-220 with wickets in hand (about 8 is required) then they may have a crack at it in the final session. The only problem with going for it is that Clarke is going to be as bad as he was in the first innings due to his injury so you are really batting with 6 frontliners and then Warne who can bat a bit too. The lineup is a bit thin!

I think clarke will be used effectively down the order if we need to draw the match. I dont see his defense being too effected by his back. As long as he doesn't play shots like he did in the first innings he will be fine down the order to help us save the match.

I think Warne and gillespe and probably Lee will be used ahead of him if we are having a crack at the runs.

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:
I think clarke will be used effectively down the order if we need to draw the match. I dont see his defense being too effected by his back. As long as he doesn't play shots like he did in the first innings he will be fine down the order to help us save the match.

I think Warne and gillespe and probably Lee will be used ahead of him if we are having a crack at the runs.

Mate, disc problems absolutely kill you! I had to bat nearly 20 overs with one. By the end of it I could not move for 3 days. It is a big ask to ask Clarke to be at his best. If we get down to Gillespie/Lee I think it is safe to say we will not be going for the runs then!

lockyno1 said:
Mate, disc problems absolutely kill you! I had to bat nearly 20 overs with one. By the end of it I could not move for 3 days. It is a big ask to ask Clarke to be at his best. If we get down to Gillespie/Lee I think it is safe to say we will not be going for the runs then!

Im not saying it wouldnt be painfull for him but if we are batting out for the draw He could still be of some use.

What I was saying is that in regards to Gilly, Warne and Lee, they should be promoted if we are going to have a crack at the runs. Say we are 3 for 300. I think they should come in then and if they get out well at least we have some decent batters left to play out the draw.

A tactic that was fairly successfull in batting out the draw, employed by England many years ago, was reversing the batting order. Hasn't been used for many years but makes alot of sense. Doubt it will ever happen again.

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:
A tactic that was fairly successfull in batting out the draw, employed by England many years ago, was reversing the batting order. Hasn't been used for many years but makes alot of sense. Doubt it will ever happen again.

I'm sure it would be Glenn McGrath's greatest day, but do we really have to see that again! Bradman did it but remember his lineup! He had guys batting at 10 averaging 20+. Warne does not even average 20!

aussies1st

Staff member
I think McGrath would be happy just to get to number 10. If he opens he would be partying.

It makes a bit of sense, as the lower order sees off the new ball and the better batsmen get to face the more tired bowlers bowling with an old ball. It is also harsh on the bowling team knowing that every batter that comes in is better than the last. Instead of them getting their tales up knowing the tail is comming in.

They would be thinking "sh*t we have already taken 6 wickets but we still have Martyn, Ponting, Langer and Hayden to come.

lockyno1

Post Whore
waltzing Meninga said:
It makes a bit of sense, as the lower order sees off the new ball and the better batsmen get to face the more tired bowlers bowling with an old ball. It is also harsh on the bowling team knowing that every batter that comes in is better than the last. Instead of them getting their tales up knowing the tail is comming in.

They would be thinking "sh*t we have already taken 6 wickets but we still have Martyn, Ponting, Langer and Hayden to come.

I'd be happy to try it but not in an Ashes test, maybe in a tour match to see if it works! It could backfire pretty easily!

Yeah maybe not the time to try it, but they probably wont get another chance for a while. I cant see any other side around the world forcing them into playing out a draw at the moment.

I think Gillespe is capable of opening the batting against the new ball with his solid defensive play.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
this is some of the absolute worst calls i have ever seen. reverse the australian batting order to play off the new ball.

firstly, its not been the new ball which has been getting us out. we have rarely been 1 for barely nothing, its usually been when the ball gets a tad old and they get some reverse swing.

2ndly, why would u do this? tail enders would struggle way too much against the balll moving. hell even our most best defensive tail ender gillespie has been found wanting alot this series against the newish ball.

thirdly, i still cant believe ure seriously suggesting it. doing this would also mean one batsman would be wasted as if ure all out, then your number 10 or 11 could be on about 20 or 30.

Back to the main idea. i seriously cant believe anyone is suggesting batting to get these runs. here we are in the biggest series weve had (along with india last year) since the days when the frank worrell trophy was a real battle and you guys want to think positive and go for the runs. IDIOTCY! come on fellas. 423 has never been chased before on a 4th innings. forget what dean jones said about if we wanna be a great side, thats not what this is about, this is about getting through this test match. and also we only have 1 day to get this. every other long run chase (windies 418, south africa 340ish a few years ago vs us) they have had up to 2 and a half days to get this and in most cases on a road.

here we are, on a average 5th day wicket, we need 400 in a day , somthing even us rarely achieve, and have not looked like achieving against this english bowling attack all series. honestly id be happy if we are 0\30 at lunch and 2\50 at tea.

aussies1st

Staff member
This would be the greatest innovation in test cricket. However from what I have seen the lower order struggle against the new ball. There is also the problem where your batsmen will have no one left to bat with them.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
the only logic i could see in it would be pushing one batsman up the order like gillespie to just try and get through it and waste some time.
but pushing all of them up, give me a break.

Latest posts