What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test - Australia v England @ Old Trafford

Timbo

Staff member
England are 1/91, 30 odd overs in, and Gillespie hasn't seen the ball.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooorne from the next test.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
ure right
gillespie still hasnt been bowled
if ure not going to bowl him then its just stupid
if ure gonna bring him on when there 1-97 or past that then theres no point
honestly someone like tait may be inexperience and a risk, but if gillespies not taking any wickets, he can not go any worse can he? and i mean his natural pace could be somthing

willvillain

Juniors
Jordan said:
It's starting to spit..not enough to stop play though.. let's hope it gets heavier..

No way. Bloody cowards way out. I'd rather see the Aussies go down fighting, if they have to go down at all.

Jordan

Juniors
I'd rather see Australia salvage a draw than lose... Things aren't looking good. It would take something special to win from here..

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
id rather rain too
in the past weve lost matches cause of rain (eg new zealand a few months ago, and when they toured 4 years ago we lost two matches cause of it). anyway rain would be our only hope. take it if it comes.

on another note. please tell me to god we are not going to have a crack at these runs. it would be stupid. they are gonna set us about 380-400 in a day. it is ungettable on a 5th day wicket with only a day. they better not be stupid like they have been in the past, like in the 2nd test of india in 2001 when laxman got the 281, they were set 350 in 2 and a half sessions and tried going for it. lost about 4 guys caught on the deep

aussies1st

Staff member
Set a record 423 to win. First thing tommorow our boys should not be looking at this total. We first need to make sure we have a solid platform at lunch. Then another solid platform at tea. Then if we somehow managed to find form in those first 2 session and are close enough with enough wickets to spare then attack the total.

aussies1st

Staff member
Thats the McGrath we have come to get use to. Too bad our other bowlers couldn't produce.

Jordan

Juniors
We're no hope of chasing 423 on a 5 day old wicket...albeit a very good 5 day old wicket. Australia should be able to bat for the day. Promote Gillespie up the order and use him as a night-watchman...hope for a bit more rain and we should be able to draw the match- which would be a good result considering how poorly we've played.

England batted a bit too long I think.. They gave Australia some outlandish total that they're not likely to chase. Australia should just bat for the day, get the draw, regroup and come out firing in the 4th Test.

something tells me the Aussies are going to have a crack at the runs tonight. I hope they don't, but just looking at the way langer played last night suggests the win is on the Aussies mind. It is an extended final day due to the rain delays. It would be great to see the Aussies win but I think they would be better suited occupying the crease, getting the draw and firing up for the 4th test.

aussies1st

Staff member
I don't really want to see rain come. If it does so be it. I would rather we held England out so then they don't have that upper hand in saying the weather let you off.
Total probably is out of reach given it is a 5th day wicket. If Aus do go after the runs they will need to first make sure they can't lose the game. 400 runs in a day is a tough ask and we haven't looked closed to getting that.

I think theres an extra hour or hour and a half added to the day. That equates to a normal day of about 330. Can be done. But as you said they must build a platform first.

aussies1st

Staff member
Yep 98 overs for the day. To get that they would need someone to go crazy. The top order is the most likely to do that. Once it gets to Martyn and Katich then we may as well consider the draw. I wonder if they will promote Gilly assuming when our 2nd wicket falls we are 250/2

aussies1st said:
Yep 98 overs for the day. To get that they would need someone to go crazy. The top order is the most likely to do that. Once it gets to Martyn and Katich then we may as well consider the draw. I wonder if they will promote Gilly assuming when our 2nd wicket falls we are 250/2

If we were in that position Im sure they would definately promote Gilly and probably Warne.