What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: Australia v South Africa at Adelaide on Nov 24-28, 2016

mave

Coach
Australia essentially needed 25 runs a session, 12 1/2 runs an hour, or a single every 2Nd over to win.

They did it in a session and a bit.

I hope Renshaw tires out, dispirits, then plunders bowling attacks for years to come.

And three experienced bats got out and he didn't.

But he isnt scoring at Warner/20 rates ??

JJ

Immortal
Obviously I've only seen Renshaw in the one game, but that was a decent debut for a kid, can't believe people are criticising him

vvvrulz

Coach
I actually think the poor bastard is going to go down the Aakash Chopra route rather than Mark Richardson. Renshaw will compile a series of tough unappreciated 30s-40s and they'll forget the fact, like this test, that his stonewalling was a very key reason Australia weren't a house of cards. When the time comes to wield the axe, they'll look straight at his raw numbers and dump him. His mates would have gone smash-em bro on dead tracks get their averages looking solid.

Similar thing happened to the young Khawaja, held his own with some dogged batting in losing circumstances but didn't impress selectors. Khawaja went away, found a middle ground and thankfully made a comeback. Might not happen here, nor should Renshaw have to go and manufacture shots.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Australia essentially needed 25 runs a session, 12 1/2 runs an hour, or a single every 2Nd over to win.

They did it in a session and a bit.

I hope Renshaw tires out, dispirits, then plunders bowling attacks for years to come.

And three experienced bats got out and he didn't.
It was a bit scrappy, but that's what's needed. Starch.

Sphagnum

Coach
TBH I didn't see any of today's play because it was the young blokes 3rd birthday but good on renshaw for seeing us home on debut. I know the fans these days expect swashbuckling heroes but this is test cricket and having an anchor protecting his wicket for as long as possible is worth its weight in gold.

He will get better but that's a pretty impressive start nonetheless. Good on you, son.

I have huge doubts about Maddison but the same 11 should face up in the next test against Pakistan imo.

tomdl

Bench
TBH I didn't see any of today's play because it was the young blokes 3rd birthday but good on renshaw for seeing us home on debut. I know the fans these days expect swashbuckling heroes but this is test cricket and having an anchor protecting his wicket for as long as possible is worth its weight in gold.

He will get better but that's a pretty impressive start nonetheless. Good on you, son.

I have huge doubts about Maddison but the same 11 should face up in the next test against Pakistan imo.

I also have my doubts about Maddinson and like most I would like to see Wade gone but I feel the way to go forward is to stick with the same team for at least a full series and give them all a decent crack.

Unfortunately, I think the Shaun Marsh fan club in the commentary box were already trying to send messages to the media and selectors. The talk of Renshaw's weaknesses was negative rubbish and not constructive. I hope I am wrong but I think they were hinting that they don't want him in the Pakistan series. Hopefully the selectors stick to their guns though.

Bazal

Post Whore
Only thing I would say is why does Wade deserve a chance? He's shown in the past he isn't good enough. I understand the idea behind not changing a winning side, but Wade is no debutant.

Sphagnum

Coach
Only thing I would say is why does Wade deserve a chance? He's shown in the past he isn't good enough. I understand the idea behind not changing a winning side, but Wade is no debutant.
I agree. Wade is somewhat handy with the bat sometimes but his keeping has always been awful and, despite all the rhetoric from him during one of the Hobart tea breaks, and the commentators, it seems his keeping hasn't really improved at all.

Making Neville a scapegoat for what has happened during this series is typical of the selectors knee jerk geniusation that has been prevalent post the Steve Waugh era.

If you want someone to go out there and sledge the opposition until they're hoarse, pick George Bailey as your extra batsman instead of maddinson and leave wade in with the Victorians where he belongs.

aussies1st

Staff member
Was a good sight seeing an Aussie player having the patience to continue leaving. Hopefully they stick with him shove Shaun down at 5/6 if he has to come back.

tomdl

Bench

Yep, I think Wade can go. Just sick and tired of changes, but I think that is justified given he has already had a go. I guess Wade going would bring up another interesting decision. Nevill is undoubtedly the best gloveman in the country and in my opinion should not have been dropped, but the selectors caved to the pressure to get a more attacking batsmen in. Whiteman might be the perfect combination of both. I still think Nevill should walk back in though

tomdl

Bench
The last time two debutants were at the crease when the winning runs were hit was in 1880. I assume that stat was referring to Australian teams but still interesting!

Last edited:

undertaker

Coach
Wade is a donkey but you would think usually a winning team would stay the same
Nevill's 179* in the current shield match vs Tasmania makes things interesting. Wade is still the favourite to retain his spot and would have to have an absolute shocker in the upcoming Chappell-Hadlee series in order for Nevill to come back into consideration as wicketkeeper. Nevill should've never been axed, and was a complete over-reaction from the selectors.

tomdl

Bench

Slats posted this after helping the rest of the commentary box bag the poor kid for the last hour of play. f**king merkin.

Last edited:

tomdl

Bench
Voges will likely come back in to replace Maddinson I assume now that I think about it. He probably wasn't a certainty to miss this test until the injury.

Another fun fact. In his first 3 tests Ian Chappell made 47 runs, faced 170 balls and was dismissed three times. Matty is doing better than you so far Gramps. My dad called me before and mentioned that Tubby made 25 off 100ish on debut. Couldn't find any official stats but my dad is normally pretty spot on when it comes to remembering shit for 20+ years ago.

Nein is worse than aids.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach

Slats posted this after helping the rest of the commentary box bag the poor kid for the last hour of play. f**king merkin.

They must have been under instructions, I'm quite certain a lot of modern commentary is rigged

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Another fun fact. In his first 3 tests Ian Chappell made 47 runs, faced 170 balls and was dismissed three times. Matty is doing better than you so far Gramps.
Yeah but in gramps day all the bowlers were 7ft tall, bowled at 200km hr and there were no helmets, if you didn't get clocked on rhe head 18 times a match they wouldn't let you in the bar.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He's not a test players arsehole either.

But what will the team do without Wadey to scream out Niiiiiiiiiiiice Garrrrrrry!!

hineyrulz

Post Whore

What a f**king Merkin, imagine if someone in the commentary Box picked apart his game like he did to a Renshaw yesterday???He would of ended up in the nuthouse in a straight jacket. I couldn't believe the shit the young bloke was copping by all of them in there they were carrying on like tea was the end of the match.

Latest posts