What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 Nations Final - Australia vs England

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Australia are an average team. Out of 240 minutes of football they've only had 40 minutes of good play.

Absolutely piss poor team that has little chance in the final. Both England and NZ would steam roll the Aussies as I said.

mxlegend99

Referee
:lol: Jesus mate, I know that you dont rate Gidley in the Aust side but saying he was our worst is farkin rediculous.

Get real champ, seriously
I said he was ONE of the worst... and he was. Once again proving that he should not have been in the team to begin with.

edit
Australia are an average team. Out of 240 minutes of football they've only had 40 minutes of good play.

Absolutely piss poor team that has little chance in the final. Both England and NZ would steam roll the Aussies as I said.

You're probably right about us only having played 40 minutes of good footy, but that 40 minutes was good enough to prevent either of those teams from beating us the first time around. At the end of the day all we need is a 20 minute patch of footy and we're going destroy the Poms.

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench

Settle down. I think you're getting a bit carried away there. Neither team managed to "steamroll" them in either of the prelims.

hutch

First Grade

you are a troll. criticism is fine, but you offer absolutely nothing constructive. if you think that australia are average and a piss poor team, then you honestly know absolutely nothing about rugby league. if england win then great, its awesome for the international game, but they have an uphill battle against the best team in the world, and one of the best sporting teams of any code on earth.

i think it will be a close game, and england have every chance of winning if they put it together on the night and their forwards dominate giving the young halves some space to run amok.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Their heads didn't go down when down big at the half last time.

You're kidding yourself if you think that's proof of anything. Remember the last GB Vs Aus Tri Nations final? The second half didn't look too bad there either, but they leaked over 30 points in the first half.

If Australia score first and quickly then England will have that "here we go again" feeling, and they're too in awe of Australia to pull themselves out until the halftime "lets do it for pride" speech.

England need to rip in from minute one and score early. They'll grow in confidence after that and from there anythings possible.

babyg

Juniors
England's defence is still to weak out wide, and they still don't know how to apply any pressure in attack. So Aussie's should win.

England have a slight chance if they play hard in the middle and throw it around and everything sticks.

Loudstrat

Coach
This wasn’t supposed to be the plan my pommy friends. You were supposed to play like that last week, not against us. I wrote them England off after last weeks pathetic fringe defense. I thought Bridge & Fox were excellent and definely shored up their right hand defense. Their world class pack was also awesome.

Now go out their and smash this lacklustre Australian side and get the monkey off your back.

In 1990 I watched my first Aus Vs GB series as a young buck. In game 1 GB pulled off a massive win at Wembley. Game 2 and only the brilliance of Ricky Stuart & Mal Meninga save the Lions from snatching a draw. Game 3 rolls around and GB choke badly. Australia wins easily.

In 1992 I watched with great excitement a Lions tour of Australia. In the first test, Australia smash GB, with the likes of Daley, Langer & Meninga running riot. In game 2, the Lions extract revenge and hammer the Aussies in Melbourne. I vaguely remember Offiah & Schofield playing extremely well in that game. In game 3 GB were always a step behind of Australia. The Lions pushed them, but the Roos were never going to lose even if Offiah scored a late try to bring the scores close. Another missed opportunity for GB.

1992 World Cup Final – The match is close all game until Kevvie Walters puts Steve Renouf over for a try to win the WC in the final few minutes.

1994 and the Kanagroos head over to GB in what would ultimately be the final real Roo Tour. The 94 series follows a similar pattern as the first. GB come out and stun Australia with a victory in the first game at Wembley, this time with only 12 men. Jonathan Davies..what a player. In games 2 & 3 Rick Stuart comes back into the side like he did in 90. The Canberra connection of Stuart, Daley, Meninga, Walters, Clyde & Mullins run riot on the Lions, winning both games comfortably.

1995 World Cup – Australia sends over a B team. England manage to defeat this weakest Kangaroos side ever assembled 20-16 in the first game. Australia B manage to somehow miraculously make the final after an extra time victory over the Kiwis in the semi final. England choke in the final, and Australia B scab a 16-8 win.

In 1997 Super League sends over a considerably stronger Kangaroo side with the likes of Daley, Langer, Ettingshausen, Sailor, Nagas, Tallis, Clyde, S.Walters & Lockyer on board. Australia dominates the first game winning 37-20. I remember Kenny Nagas bagging 3 tries in that game. In game 2 the Lions fight back with a 20-12 victory. In the deciding match, the world’s best player at the time Laurie Daley shows his class by scoring 3 tries and leading the Kangaroos to victory.

1999 Tri Nations – GB choke again and get slaughtered 42-6 in Brisbane by the Kangaroos.

2000 World Cup – Australia easily defeat GB 22-2 in their only meeting of the tournament.

In 2001 Australia cut their tour of GB short due to 9/11. They still played 3 tests Vs GB however. In the first game, it was 90 & 94 all over again with GB pulling off a great victory 20-12. Games 2 & 3…bang, bang. GB chokes again.

2002 Sydney Test Match – LOL

In 2003 no one seemingly wants to go on a Kangaroo Tour with 15 odd players pulling out due to a variety of reasons. Australia sends over a squad which rivalled 95’s for sh*ttiness with players such as Phil Bailey, Hegarty, DeVere, Villasanti, included. An aging Darren Smith makes the test side while playing out of the SL. Michael Crocker plays 5/8. Morley gets sent off in the first game after peforming a coat hanger in the first 5 seconds. GB loses all 3 games in the final 10 minutes. Choke, choke, and choke.

2004 Tri Nations – GB push Australia hard but end up losing 12-8 in their first meeting. In their second encounter, GB stuns Australia with a great 24-12 victory. In the final, the Kangaroos obliterate GB in the first half. Australia ends up winning 44-4. A bad choke by the Lions.

2005 Tri Nations – GB gets dominated by Australia in both games. 20-6 & 26-14. GB pull off a victory against the tournament winners NZ though. So it gives them hope for the following year.

2006 Tri Nations – GB pull off an awesome victory in Sydney, with Sean Long playing particularly well. The Lions end up outclassing the Kangaroos 23-12. In their second meeting, the Lions choke yet again and the Kangaroos dominate 33-10.

2008 World Cup – Smashed to pieces in Melbourne. Ouch. Choke.

And we all saw what happened last week.

I’m still waiting after all these years Poms!!

Don’t let International Rugby League down.

Carpe muthaf*ckin Diem!!!
:lol: Without the Canberra players we'd be doomed.

Not a bad wrap, but your beat up of the SL hacks was funny - didn't PNG beat 'e, im the 9's, and NZ beat them 30-0 while the alleged B team won the world cup?

:lol: Without the Canberra players we'd be doomed.

Not a bad wrap, but your beat up of the SL hacks was funny - didn't PNG beat 'e, im the 9's, and NZ beat them 30-0 while the alleged B team won the world cup?

What I said was 100% unequivocally true. Most of those players are legends.

Who gives a sh*t about the 9s? We won it, and I surely didn't.

Get off that ARL dick. SL had a better Kangaroo side. FACT.

Perth Red

Post Whore
All sensible money is on Oz but for the sake of Int RL I am praying for an England victory!

Big Pete

Referee
So...
14. White, Played for NSW 5 times is a twice winning Grand final starting prop.
15. Shillington, Up and coming prop, has played for QLD, has done well off the bench this tourament.
16. Lewis, has played wing for Australia, won a grand final, played for NSW, can play wing, centre or any back row position.
17. Cronk, twice Grand final winning halfback, can play hooker, half or 5/8.

You consider this an absolutely terrible bench.

bwwwwhahahahahaahahahaha

Don't rate SoO players obviously nor do you rate premiership winning players.

Triple uppercut, I say.

Do you happen to rate Shane Perry because he won a premiership?

What about Steve Turner? David Williams?

Your argument is just like Swiss Cheese really.

In saying, it certainly isn't Australia's best available bench and I believe it could go down as one of the worst benches in Australian history, right alongside the bench for the World Cup Final.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Do you happen to rate Shane Perry because he won a premiership?
No he never played SoO or for Australia.

He fits one category only.

Same with the others.

Not relevant at all your comment.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Here is a worse bench

Matt Sing, John Simon, Nik Kosef, Dean Pay

or

Matt Adamson, Robbie Kearns, Brett Kimmorley, Russell Richardson

Big Pete

Referee
When was those benches announced?

The game has changed so much in a decade it's hard to compare in the context.

David Williams played in the World Cup Final by the by. Won a premiership that year as well.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Late 1990's
The game has changed so much in a decade it's hard to compare in the context
yet Big Pete you are prepared to compare them and in fact state....
I believe it could go down as one of the worst benches in Australian history

I think that is a rather large call, for example during war torn years, I would wager the bench was far worse.

I am sure there is possibly worse than the ones I dug up.

Don't get me wrong players like Matt Sing were good, but what use is a winger on the bench? No matter the year.

It is fair to say there probably have been many better benches, but the worst ever is a huge call and unfair to these players.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
With the greatest respect Mr Angry,

I have been on the Melbourne Forum - and Melbourne fans do not rate Brett White. He'd be the first head to roll to keep under salary cap was the vibe I got.

Shillington's anonymity works against the bench - but we have to appreciate he earnt his place ahead of bigger names who were available.

Lewis and Cronk are great players. But really - two utilities on the bench?

Australia are so blessed with backs. Its terrifying how much pace, size and skill you have on tap.

Big Pete

Referee
Late 1990's

yet Big Pete you are prepared to compare them and in fact state....

I think that is a rather large call, for example during war torn years, I would wager the bench was far worse.

I am sure there is possibly worse than the ones I dug up.

Don't get me wrong players like Matt Sing were good, but what use is a winger on the bench? No matter the year.

It is fair to say there probably have been many better benches, but the worst ever is a huge call and unfair to these players.

I should've said RECENT history. Thank you for pulling me up on that...

Bennett won a premiership with a winger on the bench. The game has changed so much dramatically that it's hard to question such a tactic, especially in the late 90's/early 00's where there was unlimited interchanges. Although from the look of the side, it appears to either be a 1995 side or 1997 and I'm unsure of the interchange laws back then.

My main point is though...

Brett White and David Shillington are two of the softest props I've seen wear the Australian jersey. White can thank his lucky stars Slater, Inglis, Cronk, Blair, Johnson and Smith won a premiership for his club while Shillington can thank his lucky stars that Tim Sheens can't even see what he has infront of him in Keith Galloway (among others).

Lewis is okay...I mean, he had a great start to the year before he started falling apart in the latter stages. While I really don't have a problem with Cronk, it's just that he isn't much of an impact player from what I've seen.

In saying, that is our best touring bench and I certainly don't have any disagreements. To be truthful, I'm still bitter about the squad in general, but that's for another topic.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
f**k you trolls. Your metrosexual players are going to get crushed by the brute force of the English forwards.

I'm talking about multiple KO's, Australians left all over the park in a world of pain. You don't have what it takes. You aren't strong enough or big enough to hang with England.

Glass jaw Inglis will be gone soon. Expect someone to spark him clean out just like Origin 3. That woman beater is going to be HUMBLED and removed from the field.

That other son of a bitch Paul Gallen is going to get a few to jaw if he plays to. The filthy grub will wish he stayed at home. Ellis and Crabtree will find him.

Your entire team will feel the squeeze. The pressure the English team apply will be too much. Australia will crumble by half time.

You can not beat us. Australia are the worst team in the tournament bar France. It's laughable how the mighty have fallen.