What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4 nations game 7 - 4 nations final - ENG V AUS

gypsy

Bench
If australia always turn up from 1-17 and play their ability for the full 80 it's very very hard for england to win because they can't reach those levels.

The simple reason, is interest.
For every 1 Sam Burgess, there are 50 equally talented kids who have probably never even heard of Rugby League. The talent is there, it's just undiscovered because of a very non-committed RFL. Until they try to promote RL outside of the small areas where it's popular, things will just stay as they are.
It shouldn't be hard, I mean England would fit inside NSW a handful of times....it really shouldn't be that difficult.

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
Maybe England should set up something like an allstars game. Not like ours but a best of the best clash with the two teams voted on by the fans. Might engage the public and create some competition for spots in the national team.

Just throwing it out there

we have the exiles game voted by the fans..........also expect that to be expanded to a 2 game series next year

gypsy

Bench
we have the exiles game voted by the fans..........also expect that to be expanded to a 2 game series next year

This has potential this game. I enjoyed watching it last season, it is a bad look for England if the Exiles keep winning it though don't you think?

roughyedspud

Coach
no...cos that exiles team would be the 4th best team in the world if it was a nation.....the exiles had over 200 test caps ffs

deluded pom?

Coach
The simple reason, is interest.
For every 1 Sam Burgess, there are 50 equally talented kids who have probably never even heard of Rugby League. The talent is there, it's just undiscovered because of a very non-committed RFL. Until they try to promote RL outside of the small areas where it's popular, things will just stay as they are.
It shouldn't be hard, I mean England would fit inside NSW a handful of times....it really shouldn't be that difficult.

Yet when the RFL actually try and expand the game's base here in the UK the flatcappers come out in force and whinge that the "heartlands" should be looked after first. Then they wonder why we are where we are. You could even wander down most streets in Manchester and they'd know little of RL. I'd like the RFL to target a specific area e.g. Sheffield and concentrate on there for a set priod of time and get things going at grass roots level. Hull has about twenty five teams, plenty of which have a youth set up. Sheffield is twice the size of Hull and could easily support their own league of twelve teams. get the basics in place and then move on to somewhere else whilst still keeping an eye on the other areas being nurtured. Eventually awareness of the game will increase and with the more numbers playing hopefully a more competitive international team. The crux for me though is the quality of coaching kids get at an early age before the bad habits set in.

gypsy

Bench
I live about an hour from Hull, and nobody would even know there were 2 Rugby codes.
Nobody talks about it, it might as well not exist. Things like that illustrate the problem.

Big Pete

Referee
Great to see roughey honour his bet. We may have had our clashes this series, but it's great to have some passionate Pom fans on board as you all make this part of the season that more interesting.

deluded pom?

Coach
This has potential this game. I enjoyed watching it last season, it is a bad look for England if the Exiles keep winning it though don't you think?

It's only been played once! Get back to us if England have lost the first five encounters. A bit like it looks bad for NSW.

deluded pom?

Coach
I live about an hour from Hull, and nobody would even know there were 2 Rugby codes.
Nobody talks about it, it might as well not exist. Things like that illustrate the problem.

You have one of the main reasons on your avatar. No sport in the country can compete with football here in the UK.

deluded pom?

Coach

I'm guessing you live near Leeds then and I don't believe for one minute people in that area aren't aware of two rugby codes. Unless of course you live south of the Humber.

gypsy

Bench
You have one of the main reasons on your avatar. No sport in the country can compete with football here in the UK.

I don't expect it to, but Football is the constant enemy, UK wide.
It's not like you're fighting a different battle introducing it into other counties.

Rugby League doesn't need 50% of the market, just 5% would do....

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
Great to see roughey honour his bet. We may have had our clashes this series, but it's great to have some passionate Pom fans on board as you all make this part of the season that more interesting.

on September 1st every year i mark my calander "start on the kiwis" ;-)

gypsy

Bench
That explains a lot then. What's in Lincolnshire? Lincoln, Scunny and Grimsby in the north and Boston in the south. Say no more.

Lol true, but there are 687,000 people who know nothing about Rugby League, who are but a stones throw from the "heartland".
Just my observations as an Aussie.

deluded pom?

Coach
Lol true, but there are 687,000 people who know nothing about Rugby League, who are but a stones throw from the "heartland".
Just my observations as an Aussie.

But everything is miles from anywhere with no major roads. They're not exactly big on sport. A county full of backward farmers and Poles. Which one are you gypsy? ;-)

gypsy

Bench
But everything is miles from anywhere with no major roads. They're not exactly big on sport. A county full of backward farmers and Poles. Which one are you gypsy? ;-)

I'm the token convict ;-)
Everything isn't miles from anywhere, England is tiny. Lincolnshire is just an example, there are countless untried areas in England.
More people interested, equals more talent coming through, and more kids playing RL instead of football.
It'll never rival football, but to just steal a few percent in some areas would improve the standard of RL in this country in the long run.
To live an hour away from Hull and hear nothing about the sport simply isn't good enough.
Get Yeamon, Briscoe etc. down to run a coaching clinic at a school every now and then.....things like that aren't hard.

Last edited:

deluded pom?

Coach
I'm the token convict ;-)
Everything isn't miles from anywhere, England is tiny. Lincolnshire is just an example, there are countless untried areas in England.
More people interested, equals more talent coming through, and more kids playing RL instead of football.
It'll never rival football, but to just steal a few percent in some areas would improve the standard of RL in this country in the long run.
To live an hour away from Hull and hear nothing about the sport simply isn't good enough.
Get Yeamon, Briscoe etc. down to run a coaching clinic at a school every now and then.....things like that aren't hard.

Yeaman and Briscoe could probably walk down the main street in plenty of towns and villages that are not even an hour away fron Hull without anyone recognising them. I understand where you are coming from but you are basing things on your own experiences and unfortunately you are in a sporting desert. Aside from Smerkinhorpe Utd there's no other presence in the football league. No top class cricket team and no RU teams of any note. It's not just a RL problem in Lincolnshire by the looks of things.

I can't believe it censored Scunny :lol::lol::lol:

gypsy

Bench
Yeaman and Briscoe could probably walk down the main street in plenty of towns and villages that are not even an hour away fron Hull without anyone recognising them. I understand where you are coming from but you are basing things on your own experiences and unfortunately you are in a sporting desert. Aside from Smerkinhorpe Utd there's no other presence in the football league. No top class cricket team and no RU teams of any note. It's not just a RL problem in Lincolnshire by the looks of things.

You've got the first word in your username right ;-)
You want to talk about deserted, spend some time in country NSW. Some of the best Rugby League players we've produced have come from towns with little more than a few hundred people. The NRL put some time into these areas, and occasionally it pays off.

Believe me, it's not just here that Rugby League may as well not exist, its most of the country, drive south a bit.... I'm not the enemy here, just some observations about how little is being done, in comparision to somewhere really isolated and cut off. Trent Barrett for example was plucked from Temora as a kid, and put in school in Campbeltown, and on a Illawarra Steelers contract. Temora isn't known for anything at all. Just an example, and i'm sure talent exists outside the Hull/Leeds/Wigan/St Helens walls.
Rugby League is promoted to all parts of NSW in particular, and England fits inside that multiple times. The too far away/no major roads excuses are pretty lame in my opinion. I just want Rugby League to grow in this country, and want to see England at the top of the ladder. I doubt I'll see it in my lifetime at this rate though.

Last edited: