What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4N: Aussie Team changes?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
The point was.. no one else did better. So why single out Petro?

Because imo Petero is specifically selected to do a certain job. The others have a bit more to their game. Even a guy like Shillington, who plays a similar role, is more likely to put an offload on or something (bit more variety and impact to this game).

Anyhow, what do you expect.. a line break every hitup?

Him to do the same job, but slightly better.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Anyway, I think we've established Aussie fans like Petero. No problem. I've been a big Petero fan for many years but at this stage, as a Kiwi fan, he's not a player that really worries me.

_snafu_

Immortal
I thought Petero had a pretty good game. Leaving aside Tonga, the only selection I question is Gidley - adds absolutely nothing.

simostorm

Bench
Poor old Gidley comes in trying hard to keep a place in the team.. but he was playing in a very difficult position for him to have any real impact..

It would be a disgrace if they dumped him..

Tigger Madness

Juniors
Lawrence to come in for tonga, maybe carney in for gidley.

Tiquiri was good, although Boyd wouldn't have been any worst.

chefman21

Juniors
I don't think Petero is the player he once was. He has slowed down a little which is making it easier for players to pick him off, especially coming in from the side. It's funny though that despite his loss of mobility, he is STILL the best forward in the world. Having said that, I think that it might be time for him to take a step back from rep footy after next season, or change his game somewhat. I don't mean retire, but I think at rep level he would be better coming off the bench. He's still probably got a year or two of rep footy in him, but I think age is starting to catch up.

Changes for next game -

Gidley out, Carney in.

If Tate is injured, Lawrence in.

Boyd in, Morris out. I think. I'm not sure if Morris is a rep standard player. He looks solid at rep level, but I think he is a bit one dimensional and disappears occasionally. His defence is lacking at times also. Great club player and maybe he will come good in the future. But at the moment he is not quite there...

joseph1

Juniors
No use having 2, 5, or even 10 backup players who are just as good if your best arent any better than the best of the opposition. Gonna be a very interesting final. Marshall
aint too far behind Lockyer right now. Kiwi forwards are better than Australian this year.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Morris was awful for NSW this season, was found out terribly in defence with Cooper in crucial stages for NSW. I too hold doubts on his ability to make the next step. At NRL level he's as good a finisher as there is and that's why I believe selectors must persist with the kid.

cleary89

Coach
Gidley out, Carney in as most have said.

I honestly thought this was our worst centre pairing that I can remember. Hopefully Tate is injured, and bring Lawrence in. Tonga needs to go, and I would love to see Gasnier there, but if not Jennings or Morris in.

I thought Lote didn't play well, should have had a double. Few people saying it was because he was outside Tonga, which might be true, but I'd prefer Boyd in there (obviously), but not too upset if he's not.

Unfortunately, don't see Young getting a run at all, although really hope he does.

chefman21

Juniors
Morris was awful for NSW this season, was found out terribly in defence with Cooper in crucial stages for NSW. I too hold doubts on his ability to make the next step. At NRL level he's as good a finisher as there is and that's why I believe selectors must persist with the kid.

I agree.

I think in the off season he needs to add something else to his game and sort out his defence. He doesn't need to add much, even if it's the occasional dummy or pass. Just something else. It's relatively easy to shut him down, because he only ever seems to run straight for the line. He's not a big guy either, so you can bundle him over quickly.

The 18th Man

Juniors
Dean Young makes more sense than Gidley if Sheens is going to play Gidley that way. Young would be really handy on the bench as I don't see Smith coming off and Young is a good option in the forward rotation.

RedVee

First Grade
Lawrence in for Tonga, Boyd in for Tate.
That gives Lawrence/Lote & Boyd/Morris combos on the flanks, though I'd be happier if Boyd/Morris were on the left.
Start with Shillington and move Myles to the bench, possibly bring Bird in.

smacky

Juniors

Overall his defence has been pretty solid bar origin(seemed to rush out of the line alot for some reason). Not many get past him otherwise. In attack though hes a great finisher, good speed and has a handy around the corner offload that he used alot with cooper. For him to step up he just needs to get abit busier and search for the ball abit more.

typicalfan

Coach
Myles doesn't offer enough off the bench imo. Shillington and Tom came on for impact, I think people don't realise this with Petero is that he makes his hit ups when the game is at its toughest. Today he got driven back but nearly every Australian got smashed, him getting smashed was just the proof that the Kumuls played with a lot of guts.

Petero won't make too many line breaks or offloads but that isn't his game and really it never has been. He is though one of the toughest props in the game you rarely if ever see him tackled one on one.

I wouldn't change too much except maybe Tate which would be forced. I would probably go for Young ahead of Gidley seeing as Lewis can play in the backs and Smith should be aiming to play 80 minutes. Tonga was ordinary but I would give him a second chance.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Just finished watching.

Unsure why Morris was out on the right.

Boys looked rusty, which is to be expected.

Backrow went really well, like the variation of them.

Myles did well at prop.

Cameron Smith is by far the best hooker in the game.

Lockyer ain't no pussy. Loudtwat wrong for the billionth time.

I think we will take the kiwis, because they have no halfback, Benji can't beat them on his own.

I would have Carney over Kidley.

skeepe

Immortal
Random thoughts on the game:

Australia tried to go wide too many times before going forward. The props were criminally under utilised.

Learoyd-Lahrs was the best prop on the field IMO, closely followed by Petero.

I questioned Tonga's selection originally, and his performance has done nothing to change that doubt.

Brent Tate is Menzie Yere's bitch.

If Kurt Gidley is the answer, what the f**k is the question?!?!?!

typicalfan

Coach
Random thoughts on the game:

Australia tried to go wide too many times before going forward. The props were criminally under utilised.

Learoyd-Lahrs was the best prop on the field IMO, closely followed by Petero.

I questioned Tonga's selection originally, and his performance has done nothing to change that doubt.

Brent Tate is Menzie Yere's bitch.

If Kurt Gidley is the answer, what the f**k is the question?!?!?!
I would agree with most of this especially about go forward. We have nearly 70% of the ball but the props barely make 100m means they were under utilised. I think we took the easy option/soft option too often rather than tucking it under.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Geez Tim Sheens is terrible. Its like he doesn't put much thought into his decisions any more he is just doing things that worked in the past.

He must go.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Tate, Gidley, Tiquiri, Myles- OUT
Cooper (not in squad I know), Young, Carney, Boyd- IN

Just my opinion. It's got me buggered how St.George can win the comp' in such dominant fashion and not have at least a hand-full of players in the test side.

Lol and you call tim sheens biased.

Latest posts