What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4N: Aussie Team changes?

skeepe

Immortal
People defended their selections? :lol:

They sure did... well mainly Tonga:

Big Pete said:
Dude is perhaps one of the most underated centres in the game. Was very good for the Cows this season.

Panther Daz said:
Tonga most certainly deserves his selection. He was outstanding in a struggling team this year.

Didgi said:
Tonga was the form centre of the comp for the first half of the season, and has still played well since.

andrew057 said:
Keep fighting the good fight Pete.

Scott and Tonga wouldve been two of the first picked and rightfully so.

It still astounds me how clueless the likes of Skeepe and Pantherz are.

boxhead said:
Matt Scott and Willie Tonga are obvious picks for the squad

All can be found in this thread:

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=368721

The prevailing wisdom seemed to be that because the Cowboys had been sh*t, and Tonga was slightly less sh*t than all the rest, he must have deserved his selection.

The responses about Scott were not referring to me, I was actually quite surprised he was left out of the first game.

The WestsTigers won in 2005,and got 1 player Prince in the test team,Prince played second fiddle to Thurston,so we had no one in the 17,stop whinging you won the comp.

Thurston didn't make the squad in 05, they picked Prince, Johns and Gower (who played the bench utility role) for the squad.

typicalfan

Coach
Difference is the Dragons have dominated the NRL for the last two years where the Tigers of 05 had a average year, made the finals and we all know what happen from there. I don't think you could compare the two.
The Dragons best player (Weyman) is injured and would have made the squad. The other stand outs like Smith, Fien and Nightingale are all representing NZ, Boyd could be considered unlucky, Young made the squad and was a bolter. Who else was going to be picked?

I don't think they are under represented that much.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Difference is the Dragons have dominated the NRL for the last two years where the Tigers of 05 had a average year, made the finals and we all know what happen from there. I don't think you could compare the two.

Who else would you have from the dragons? Weyman would be there but he is injured

Cooper? Nsw's worst player this year

creagh? The Ginger spastic made 23ms in origin 2

the dragons play as a consistent team without a stand out star

Jeremy smith would make the Aussie side but he is a kiwi

Vic Mackey

Referee
WTF?

I'm referring to yesterdays game specifically, where Brett Morris, incumbent left winger for Australia was shafted for one of Sheens' favourites.

Sheens shafted Morris from the left wing last year from jarryd hayne an no said anything. How is his moving Morris for lote biasim but moving him for hayne isn't?

Vic Mackey

Referee
Don't think you could blame Cooper for NSW lose this year. Our forwards didn't go forward and our halves did nothing. You can't expect our outside backs to go to well after that. As for Lote, pretty disappointing when your a winger in the Aus team playing PNG and your team scores 48pts and you can't score a try. I'm sure Boyd would have done better.

No but you can blame the outside backs for pathetic defence, coopers series was undefendable, he was steve turner like.

Lote never had a chance to score. Ken irvine could have played left wing and would t have scored. Boyd has scored what 3 tries in 2 years at the dragons, but yep I'm sure he would have scored 10 tries outside tonga yesterday

typicalfan

Coach
Sheens loves having the big guys down the left flank. Lote Tuqiri, Taniela Tuiaki last year, Pat Richards in 2005.

I wouldn't call it bias, I would call it setting the team up the way he thinks will be most successful and as long as that happens it won't matter.

Tuqiri didn't score any tries but he was a handful down the left side, I doubt Boyd would have had the same impact. Nor is he as physically threatening.

mxlegend99

Referee
Even Josh Morris would be ahead of Tonga I imagine but he's injured too.
Agreed.

Top 3 would have been Greg Inglis, Justin Hodges and Jamie Lyon. Next inline would have probably been Michael Jennings and Josh Morris. Based on Tim Sheens selections for Australia last year and earlier this year that's the way I see the pecking order atleast.

We fielded a pretty decent backline considering the injury list we had.

cleary89

Coach
Why no talk about gasnier? He's definately ahead of the two spastics they put out yesterday.

Springs

First Grade
How would Josh Morris be ahead of Tonga? Tonga, starting centre from the 3-0 winning QLD side vs Morris, centre who couldn't get a start for NSW behind Cooper, Tahu, Idris, Lyon, Scott, Jennings and Lawrence.

Big Pete

Referee
Exactly my thoughts too.

Although to be fair to Morris, given he was apart of the squad last year and continued to have a good season this year it wouldn't be THAT bad a selection.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
How would Josh Morris be ahead of Tonga? Tonga, starting centre from the 3-0 winning QLD side vs Morris, centre who couldn't get a start for NSW behind Cooper, Tahu, Idris, Lyon, Scott, Jennings and Lawrence.
Tonga, starting centre behind how many players that were injured to allow his selection? :lol:

Actually, didn't he play wing? Or was that Tate? I can't remember.

Springs

First Grade
Starting centre behind Hodges. Wow, completely matches the amount of players Morris was behind.

I wouldn't care if Morris was selected ahead of Tonga but I don't see how the selectors would have Morris first.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Sheens shafted Morris from the left wing last year from jarryd hayne an no said anything. How is his moving Morris for lote biasim but moving him for hayne isn't?
So Brett Morris just pretended to play left wing in the AAMI Park test in May?

As for your point about Hayne/Sheens - Hayne > Daylight > Morris > Tuqiri

Starting centre behind Hodges. Wow, completely matches the amount of players Morris was behind.

I wouldn't care if Morris was selected ahead of Tonga but I don't see how the selectors would have Morris first.
WTF? Are you aware Josh Morris was injured leading into game one and played in arguably one of the most underperforming teams in the comp? Plus his regular feeder of the ball in Ben Roberts missed 13 weeks of the season meaning he got little ball...

Latest posts