1. Round 5 Edition OUT NOW:

The Round 5 issue of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for is out now!

This week it's Penrith v Canberra so we look at the competition leaders with second rower Kurt Capewell, while we also share the story of the birth of the Glebe Dirty Reds, and as always, the full program for the coming weekend's action across NRL, NSWRL and QRL with a wrap-up of the weekend just gone.

VOLUME 2 ISSUE 5 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

4nations | Australia v England | aami park | sun 2nd nov

Discussion in 'International' started by roughyedspud, Oct 28, 2014.

1. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

I think there is only one solution here. Teams playing Australia should demand neutral referees and refuse to play without them. Hopefully this incident is the one that sets the rule in stone.

If England don't come out this week and ask why this wasn't the case and why it shouldn't be the case then it will never change and Australia will keep getting away with it. Why doesn't anyone have a set of balls?

2. strong_latte

strong_latte Juniors

Who says they've been wrong? They call them "50-50 calls" for a reason. Again - this was line ball and that before picture doesn't do you any favours... it still looks 50-50 at best, and that's at SUPER slow mo, which is always more flattering. At normal speed it never looks close to a try.

3. Evil Homer

Evil Homer Moderator Staff Member

They should have refused to play full stop when the Aussies changed the rules mid-tournament and demanded their own refs, sadly McNamara is a coward who will happily bend over and get f**ked by the Aussies, I'll be amazed if he even makes any sort of complaint.

4. strong_latte

strong_latte Juniors

Bahahaha well now it's clear you're getting upset. You're name is very apt champ. Oh, and typing slowly isn't like talking slowly - it doesn't actually effect the speed with which I read the final product. In fact it's really more indicative of your own level of ineptness that you would think it would.

But anyway, as for the decision I'm done arguing with you sooks. it was line ball and you lost - like you have to us for a solid 50 years now. It's just a little harder for you boys because this time you got so close and you were playing our most injury depleted team in a couple generations.

But the game is over. Suck it up princess and move on ;-) .

5. Evil Homer

Who gives a f**k what it looks like at normal speed? The slow-mo shows it was a clear try and that is literally all that matters. Some of these excuses are embarrassing. Have some integrity even if your national team don't.

6. donny donny

donny donny Juniors

Good job video refs have slow motion replays then.

7. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Ok. Lets assume Hall did get downward pressure. No one has yet answered the previously posed question....why does Inglis touching the ball on the ground with his fingertips not count as downward pressure and thus negate whatever hall does anyway? Exact same level of contact.

8. Chook Norris

Chook Norris First Grade

Plenty hate it that video refs can slow things down frame by frame, and they argue for video decisions to be made in normal motion.. yet in this instance people seem happy to go by the frame by frame interpretation. In normal motion, you'd be crazy to give that a try. You can seriously not say there is downward pressure. Even in slow motion it is highly highly dubious that there is downward pressure

9. Evil Homer

The ball needs to be intentionally grounded by a defender to diffuse the play.

10. donny donny

donny donny Juniors

Inglis clearly pushed the ball forwards rather than grounding it.

11. maccattack

maccattack Juniors

I dont think so.

12. deluded pom?

deluded pom? Coach

That's priceless. Laughing my fecking head off that you felt the need to explain that. Truly geniused.

13. miguel de cervantes

miguel de cervantes First Grade

[​IMG]

If you apply the same downward pressure argument to Hall, you have to apply it to Inglis half a second earlier. He forced the ball in goal in this case.

Also, I've watched the slow-mo replays that have appeared on Youtube - I just don't believe there is downward pressure. Showing still photos like the posts above is a psychological-optical illusion. Watching the slow-mo you see one end of the ball bouncing up that brushes his fingers, pushing them back, whilst the other end of the ball remains on the ground. For me this does not constitue downward pressure and these sort of tries should not be awarded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0N7z3gdPtQE#t=2374

14. Bazal

Bazal Post Whore

Is this rule different at International level to NRL level. Because at NRL level that is false. The ball need only be grounded, intent doesn't enter into it.

15. RoosTah

RoosTah Juniors

You can't mention that because then all the people complaining about conspiracies wouldn't have any ammunition.

Gotta say - great game though. Very intense all round and I reckon that as a spectacle that was better than Origin II this year (which whilst satisfying was very boring for an Origin).

We really need to make more of these Australia v England clashes - that was brilliant stuff! Just shame that the bloody Melbournians couldn't fill the ground out.

16. RoosTah

RoosTah Juniors

Agreed. Slo-mo is necessary, but in cases where they're looking for a single frame to confirm whether a finger has touched a ball it becomes almost counter productive. There was no way in heck that was a try and people on here saying it was are just deluding themselves.

17. Evil Homer

The game is restarted with a drop-out by a defendingplayer from the centre of his goal line if:
    (a)A defending player last touches the ball before it goes over the dead ball line or into touch in-goal.
    (b)A defending player accidentally infringes in the in-goal area.
    (c)A defending player intentionally touches down in the in-goal area.
    (d)A defending player in possession is tackled in the in-goal area.

http://www.rlif.com/~media/docs/Rugby%20League%20International%20Laws%20of%20the%20Game%20-%20Sept%202013.pdf

I wouldn't be surprised if this is also the case in the NRL but it just isn't interpreted properly, it's not often you see players accidentally grounding the ball TBH.

18. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

19. Evil Homer

For what reason?

20. El Diablo

El Diablo Post Whore

Samoa should have refused Perenara then