What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4nations | Australia v England | aami park | sun 2nd nov

Evil Homer

Staff member
Probably because it never looked remotely like one unless you isolate blurry frames and take the motion of the ball out of the equation.
So in other words the video referee slow-mo showed a try but you don't want to accept it so are trying to pretend that it isn't valid evidence, even though it is accepted as valid evidence in literally every other professional RL game in the world.

RoosTah

Juniors
So in other words the video referee slow-mo showed a try but you don't want to accept it so are trying to pretend that it isn't valid evidence, even though it is accepted as valid evidence in literally every other professional RL game in the world.

No, "in other words" it was probably a 10% likelihood of actually being a try and you only get to 10% by misrepresenting what really happened by taking a couple favourable frames out the context of the actual play.

It wasn't a try mate, just get over it.

Evil Homer

Staff member
No, "in other words" it was probably a 10% likelihood of actually being a try and you only get to 10% by misrepresenting what really happened by taking a couple favourable frames out the context of the actual play.

It wasn't a try mate, just get over it.
Again, for what reason?

Untitled-1a.jpg

The ball is clearly on the ground and being touched down by the England player. Doesn't matter if it's just his pinky, or super slow-mo or a single frame, those are the rules, it's a try, you can live in a fantasy world and pretend that it isn't but you're only lying to yourself. The bigger issue is the fact that this decision was made directly for the benefit of Australia by an Aussie official despite the fact that the Four Nations was supposed to have neutral referees until Australia lost their first match and were in danger of going out of the tournament. The whole thing is crooked.

10384528_556595914471567_660282899335861660_n.jpg

RoosTah

Juniors
I love that you just proved my point about a few fuzzy frames ;-).

Again mate, just get over it. Game's over and England lost to a team of reserves. But hey, if calling it a conspiracy makes you feel better then go for it.

RoosTah

Juniors
Jesus mate, it's really not that big a controversy, in fact it isn't even a controversy at all, and you're acting like this is like France knocking the ABs out of the Union world cup with a 4 metre forward pass try.

Anyway, if you wanna be mad at local refs - then be pissed at NZ because they were the ones who decided to go with an Aussie and broke the "tie".

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Again, for what reason?

Untitled-1a.jpg

If there was downward pressure, it was infintisimally small, about the same amount you might expect if you slide a ball horizontally across the ground with your palm on the side of the ball - which wouldn't be awarded a try. There is no way in hell that this is conclusive evidence for a try. Take it out of the current context and no one would even blink an eye at the ruling.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
If there was downward pressure, it was infintisimally small, about the same amount you might expect if you slide a ball horizontally across the ground with your palm on the side of the ball - which wouldn't be awarded a try. There is no way in hell that this is conclusive evidence for a try. Take it out of the current context and no one would even blink an eye at the ruling.
His finger is bent back. If there's no downward pressure then Hall is able to defy the laws of physics and human anatomy. The amount of downward pressure doesn't matter, you don't have to slam the ball down to score a try.

Last edited:

Evil Homer

Staff member
Jesus mate, it's really not that big a controversy, in fact it isn't even a controversy at all, and you're acting like this is like France knocking the ABs out of the Union world cup with a 4 metre forward pass try.

Anyway, if you wanna be mad at local refs - then be pissed at NZ because they were the ones who decided to go with an Aussie and broke the "tie".
It is a controversy because it's an Australian video ref that made the decision, a ref that shouldn't have even been there in the first place because neutral refs were agreed on prior to the tournament until Australia decided to take matters into their own hands to avoid going out. If it was a neutral ref I really wouldn't give a f**k.

Last edited:

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
His finger is bent back. If there's no downward pressure then Hall is able to avoid the laws of physics and human anatomy. The amount of downward pressure doesn't matter, you don't have to slam the ball down to score a try.

Only conclusively in the third frame. It's highly likely that the end of the ball is bouncing up, which bends his fingers back but doesn't mean he is imparting downward pressure on the ball. Just not conclusive enough.

bedlam breakout

Juniors
was cheering England on in the early hours and would not of complained if that try had been given but not gonna whinge that it wasn't either, the fact that ryan hall didn't jump up to celebrate straight away was also a factor -, we should have gone in 18-4 at half time, our kicking game wasn't the best and we couldn't complete the job, simple.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
Agreed Roughy, I just saw a freeze frame with the ball touching the ground and Ryan Hall's finger applying downward pressure and the video referee ignoring the laws of the game to dissallow a try. WTF has the ball rising got to do with it? One end of the ball is touching the ground and the other end has Ryan Hall's pinky pushing against the ball in a downward motion. The fact it was freakish or almost unbelievable should not have a bearing on the decision. I also just witnessed a second half where England were penalised twice for holding down in the PTB when Australia were not penalised at all despite Sutton having countless opportunities to penalise Australia for slowing down the England PTB. As a neutral Inyernational RL fan I offer my commiserations to the hardcore England fans and also feel embarrassed as an international RL advocate to have endured yet another match referred by a non-neutral referee. G. Sutton had a great game up to half time but showed in the second half that he too was not immune to the Australian powerbrokers, caving in to the pressure to give the Aussies some opportunities. I'd rather have a Frog from Elite 1 referring, sure he'd make a few blunders, but what are the Aussies so afraid of? Aren't they that good it shouldn't matter who the Ref is?

Hall got more downward pressure on that ball than Jennings did for his try.

Bernard Sutton definately felt the heat and caved. G.Sutton was way out of his depth in the box. What would have Steve Ganson done?? .

Lord League

this is a great post.
I'm 100% behind the kangaroos but this was a try every day of the week.
I love the sport of rugby league and some dickheads who make a shitload of money from it just keep f**king it up.
the best way to grow this amazing sport is through international football.
the talent is there but the professional people needed to run it are missing.
great game England you deserved to win.
next time you play us on your turf you are a real chance.