What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th ODI: Australia v Sri Lanka at Sydney Jan 20, 2013

TheParraboy

Staff member
As long as the future greatest opening pair in thehistory of ODI's play i don't really care, HAH and Warner will break all kinds of records and the fapping from Coffs will be epic.

Sunshine will be back opening soon, and fapping will get transfered to hurstville or is it los Angeles ...?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
is he in the squad to strengthen the bowling or batting? :sarcasm:

ironic isn't it, especially when the fossil says we already know who our best 11 are

fairly obvious to me that they dont, I reckon Bird will replace Henriques and we will go in with a different formula

like Oozie, Henriques has had his one chance

TheParraboy

Staff member
ironic isn't it, especially when the fossil says we already know who our best 11 are

fairly obvious to me that they dont, I reckon Bird will replace Henriques and we will go in with a different formula

like Oozie, Henriques has had his one chance

actually it was Henriques 2nd chance, played a couple in 09

but get what you mean, 1 game and your out

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I'd suggest that after yesterday's debacle there will be less 'rotating' especially of batsmen. My top seven when all are fit:
HAH
Chimp Warner
Watto the Struggler
Thank God for Clarke
Khawaja
DHuss
Scissorhands.

Watto is the interesting one. If he plays purely as a batsman as his hissy fits suggest then we are down a bowler and Khawaja would have to make way for a complete plonker like Maxwell, Smith or Henriques.

snoozer

Bench
I'd suggest that after yesterday's debacle there will be less 'rotating' especially of batsmen. My top seven when all are fit:
HAH
Chimp Warner
Watto the Struggler
Thank God for Clarke
Khawaja
DHuss
Scissorhands.

Watto is the interesting one. If he plays purely as a batsman as his hissy fits suggest then we are down a bowler and Khawaja would have to make way for a complete plonker like Maxwell, Smith or Henriques.

Mhuss not good enough AG?

Xfactor1979

Bench
Im thankful to have the greatest tail enders in the world

Lyon and Siddle

Starc and Doherty

For their 'determination' to prevent Australia being bowled out for scores less than 26 and 70

DETERMINED TO BE DIFFERENT! :lol:

IanG

Coach
Is it raining in Sydney? Running up here in Newcastle. Got rained on last night at the outdoor cinema night last night

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I hate Chappelli..

The arsehole wouldn't sign my WSC mini bat out at the SCG one day..Said "piss off kid" to me..

But i agree with what he's written here..

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/australian-cricket-is-in-danger-of-descending-into-disarray-writes-former-test-skipper-ian-chappell/story-fn2mcu3x-1226557530367#.UPtO5h3IFu1

Australian cricket is in danger of descending into disarray, writes former Test skipper Ian Chappell..

By Ian Chappell News Limited Network January 20, 2013 10:32AM

The Argus Report was commissioned in 2011 by Cricket Australia (CA) following two devastating Ashes losses.

In 2013 Australian cricket not only faces the prospect of more demoralising Ashes losses but is also in danger of descending into disarray.

This time Australia will face England without Ricky Ponting and Michael Hussey, two batsmen well versed in the art of scoring runs and surviving for long periods.

And even at an advanced age, they were still among the best fielders in the side.

What remains of the line-up is Michael Clarke, the last of the "old school" batsmen and a fine player, aided and abetted by a number of players ranging from the potentially talented to borderline performers.

In the past, Australia was known as a country that produced good, attacking batsmen, not many in the high class of Ponting but plenty, like Clarke, who were close to that level.

The system is becoming more adept at producing skilful young hitters, batsmen who clear their leg better than a dog next to a tree, but ask them to survive a spell of hostile fast bowling or a testing time against a wily spinner and they'd find it simpler to bark.

In part this can be put down to young players eager to procure a lucrative IPL contract but the system is also in dire need of drastic repairs.

The poor standard of running between wickets and the paucity of young catching fieldsmen is a sure indicator the system is faltering.

Australia is also tinkering with a move away from the highly successful method of picking the best 11 and then choosing a captain from this group.

This method has always given Australia a distinct advantage over its opponents and deviating from this principle leaves the captaincy choice open to mistakes based on like and dislike, or, even worse, players who adhere to the "team ethic".

I learned much about captaincy from players who disagreed with my tactics and I always felt that the more argumentative among them were the last to accept defeat on the field.

Everything I read and heard before the Adelaide Test suggested David Warner was one failure away from being discarded.

Not only is Warner one of the bright lights among the younger brigade, an exciting batsman and a brilliant fielder, but he's also a potential leader.

He needs to be suitably encouraged, not threatened with extinction.

CA has become besotted with the need to rest players, or in their highfalutin' language, "informed player management".

I don't see Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Hashim Amla and Alistair Cook, three of the more successful and durable players in world cricket, pleading for a rest.

The first two of that trio play all three forms of the game and in Dhoni's case, he's also a regular in the IPL competition.

There's no doubt cricket's schedule is ludicrous. There are domestic T20 leagues sprouting like tulips in Holland in spring and rather than reducing the amount of cricket being played, the obsession seems to be on "the more the better financially".

The cluttered schedule needs to be addressed by a concerted effort from all cricket boards but there's more chance of peace in the Middle East before that happens.

Nevertheless, it does seem incongruous that Australia rests players from international competition who then compete in the IPL.

One of the great failings of CA has always been a lack of playing knowledge of the game at international level. If Australian cricket is strong and the National team is successful most of the remaining administrative duties take care of themself.

When I was asked to address the Argus review I said; "Make sure the system produces plenty of young, skilful and competitive cricketers and a few strong leaders and then allow them to express their talent."

Clarke is a good Australian captain who understands the priorities of the task. However, the Argus report has done little to address improving the production line and instead, has erected more hurdles in Clarkes path.

Two years on from the Argus report Australia will face England again, this time with an even greater likelihood of losing.

If Australia does lose an Ashes series in the UK and again at home, I wonder if CA will then look in the mirror and see where the real problem lies.

Xfactor1979

Bench
Australia by 90 plus runs

Sure, why not?

It is another day after all

ABC Grandstand says we havent had a close game in this series yet, and they're right, 3 lopsided matches so far

Lets hope for a tight/ more competitive game

The last time Australia played Sri Lanka at the SCG in an ODI in the triangular series, Australia were pummelled by SL, who won by 8 wickets. So bad was that performance I didnt even watch the Sri Lankan chase

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
The time for fun and games is over. We get serious here, we smash them today. Expect big things from our Heavy Artillery top order after being embarrassed in the last game.