What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4th Test: Australia v England at Melbourne Dec 26-30, 2013

Red Bear

Referee
If someone would have told me, 6 months ago that Chris Rogers, Nathan Lyon and Mitchell Johnson would dominate England at the MCG to put us 4 nil up in the Ashes... I'd have had that person locked away in an institution for life. I can't believe what we are witnessing here.
Rogers and Lyon shows the benefits of backing players for a little while, both have done a good job despite, especially in Lyons case, being unfairly maligned.

Very happy with Lyon performing well, clearly our best option and has done well.

BunniesMan

Immortal
It's a shame that Rogers wasn't not out at the end of the day, great knock from him. I don't think he would be as under fire as he has been if was 5 years younger, we don't exactly have anyone breathing down his neck deserving his spot besides a tried and failed option.

If the selectors showed the same amount of patience for Rogers as they did for the tried and failed option Rogers would never have even made it to Melbourne and you'd be talking about him as a tried and failed option.

When you stop chopping and changing and gives players a real go more often than not they will eventually produce. But they should have given those chances to a 24 year old instead of a 36 year old.

Rogers and Lyon shows the benefits of backing players for a little while, both have done a good job despite, especially in Lyons case, being unfairly maligned.

Very happy with Lyon performing well, clearly our best option and has done well.

Agreed. It would be great to see Khawaja get given a solid run of tests and let him prove himself.

If the selectors showed the same amount of patience for Rogers as they did for the tried and failed option Rogers would never have even made it to Melbourne and you'd be talking about him as a tried and failed option.

When you stop chopping and changing and gives players a real go more often than not they will eventually produce. But they should have given those chances to a 24 year old instead of a 36 year old.

WilliamGilbertGrace has been given nearly 30 tests you gronk how is that not persisting with him lmao

Rogers in 9 tests has achieved what WilliamGilbertGrace in 1/3 of the tests :lol:

Pete Cash

Post Whore

Why ?

Cricket is hardly a young mans game. He who must not be named can wait his turn. Don't deathride a bloke just because he is in his mid 30s you jackass.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
England have quit and have been humiliated by what is a mediocre Australia team which makes it even worse.

Some of the batsmen have looked terrified and Cook has been abysmal

no name

Referee
I was unsure of Clarke choosing to bowl first but I think it was to challenge the team to win in a different situation.
He backed his team and it looks like coming off.

JJ

Immortal
This series is almost the mirror reverse of the last one - the Poms have had chances, at times been on top and/or exerting pressure, and ultimately been largely a pile of steaming shit...

What is evident, and people who demand changes should take note, is the importance of consistency of selection... people playing with confidence in the knoweldge that one poor performance won't end their career - of course it helps that AUst are winning, but test-by-test changes and rotation is stupid... been established in many sports...

Great test by Rogers, great series for Johnson and Haddin... Bailey would be the nervous one, but by the sounds of it nobody putting pressure on anyway

Horrie Is God

First Grade
I'm stunned by this knock from Shane Wazn.

I'd say it's his best test knock..

Definitely the one with the most substance..

Be nice if we saw more of it from now on..

BunniesMan

Immortal
Clarke gets to 8000. Brilliant effort. Best player in the world, best captain. Every aspect of his game is so much fun to watch.

WilliamGilbertGrace has been given nearly 30 tests you gronk how is that not persisting with him lmao

Rogers in 9 tests has achieved what WilliamGilbertGrace in 1/3 of the tests :lol:
Rogers got 9 tests in a row in his natural position. He who must not be named has not had that in over 2 years.
Why ?

Cricket is hardly a young mans game. He who must not be named can wait his turn. Don't deathride a bloke just because he is in his mid 30s you jackass.

Rogers scoring runs gets him maybe a year or two in the team and then he'll go anyway. What would be the odds of him playing to 40?

He who must not be named is a player who has a decade in front of him. If he was given the same chances he could be a core piece to build around for years to come.

If you're going to be patient, be patient with a player who has many years of service to potentially give you. And it's not just about he who must not be named. I'd put players like Khawaja in that boat as well.

JJ

Immortal
I'm stunned by this knock from Shane Wazn.

I'd say it's his best test knock..

Definitely the one with the most substance..

Be nice if we saw more of it from now on..

:lol: be great for you if Johnson bowled like this every series... neither seem that likley, but who knows

JJ

Immortal
Clarke gets to 8000. Brilliant effort. Best player in the world, best captain. Every aspect of his game is so much fun to watch.

Rogers got 9 tests in a row in his natural position. He who must not be named has not had that in over 2 years.

Rogers scoring runs gets him maybe a year or two in the team and then he'll go anyway. What would be the odds of him playing to 40?

He who must not be named is a player who has a decade in front of him. If he was given the same chances he could be a core piece to build around for years to come.

If you're going to be patient, be patient with a player who has many years of service to potentially give you. And it's not just about he who must not be named. I'd put players like Khawaja in that boat as well.

Voldemort plays cricket?

Dead set, have you ever typed anything that could be interpreted as either sane or unbiased?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Cricketers can play well into their late 30s. Especially batsmen. You seem to be constantly harping on about players ages but in cricket its not so much a big deal. Especially if Rogers is scoring runs and WilliamGilbertGrace wasn't. Its as simple as that.

He who must not be named is scoring well in shield cricket and is certainly pushing the Rogers and Watsons of this world but Rogers age really shouldn't come into it if he is scoring runs. Just like Hoos relative youngness shouldn't matter if he isn't scoring.