What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8 options

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
At this stage I think he'll be very good when next to Nath and awful without him

I think you're probably right to begin with. Appears to NOT be afraid of contact (for a half) is huge. Also a good passing game.

Hopefully Cole will be a good partner for him when needed. Look at how Alamotti came through as an example.

Iamback

Coach
I think you're probably right to begin with. Appears to NOT be afraid of contact (for a half) is huge. Also a good passing game.

Hopefully Cole will be a good partner for him when needed. Look at how Alamotti came through as an example.

The thing is. He is off with Samoa so won't train before christmas.

Cole, Schneider and Laurie will be running as halves during that time

soc123_au

Staff member
I dunno man with Nathan's issues I think we need a rock solid 6 who'll be there every week.

I think Cole but it's a worry
The thing with Cole that gives me hope is Edwards looked like one of those players that would be in rehab more often than not when he first hit NRL. The last 5 years he has been pretty durable for someone with his work rate.

Red&BlackBear

First Grade
I kinda see it like;

Laurie - running player. Better suited to FB. Has a decent short kicking game. Organising skills probably not where they need to be. Defence in front line needs a bit more work. Ok passing game. Fastest of the options.

Cole - good running game. Too hesitant when he sees opportunities to take advantage of them. Kicking game needs a lot of work. Organising skills need improvement. Decent defender. Injury prone atm.

Schneider - halfback. Great game awareness but too slow in the legs to capitalise on what he sees. Decent short-mid and long kicking game and can organise play but slow to throw the last pass to finalise things. Good defender.

Talagi - raw. Ok short kicking game. Defence needs a lot of work. Good pass on him. Organising skills need work. Good running game on him.

Toelau - zippy. Can defend in the middle but unsure if for long periods. Decent short kicking game. Smaller body so will miss tackles. Ok passing game. Not a bad organiser but far from top line. Better suited as a 14.

MugaB

Coach
I kinda see it like;

Laurie - running player. Better suited to FB. Has a decent short kicking game. Organising skills probably not where they need to be. Defence in front line needs a bit more work. Ok passing game. Fastest of the options.

Cole - good running game. Too hesitant when he sees opportunities to take advantage of them. Kicking game needs a lot of work. Organising skills need improvement. Decent defender. Injury prone atm.

Schneider - halfback. Great game awareness but too slow in the legs to capitalise on what he sees. Decent short-mid and long kicking game and can organise play but slow to throw the last pass to finalise things. Good defender.

Talagi - raw. Ok short kicking game. Defence needs a lot of work. Good pass on him. Organising skills need work. Good running game on him.

Toelau - zippy. Can defend in the middle but unsure if for long periods. Decent short kicking game. Smaller body so will miss tackles. Ok passing game. Not a bad organiser but far from top line. Better suited as a 14.
I'd expect schnieder to be ahead of the rest, purely based on his defending, and that he and Nathan have barely played together, the rest are works in progress, and as soon as one of them kicks, schnieder contracts elsewhere... I still rate schnieder tho, I feel like he has been pulling back or been told to hold back this season, and Romy has been owning the side in naths absence, you'd think that would be schnieder giving he is a halfback, and romy the 5/8th, atleast that's how it was last season under cogger, seems like Ivan wanted Romy to run the side in preparation from him at his next contract, as we aren't in the business of wanting our stock being failures elsewhere, (although it happens through bad rosters/management at other clubs etc)
I can see schnitty flourish as bulldogs halfback, alongside Burton, but I'd rather he be a steady hand here with us, and let Nathan roam
As far as the others on the list, cole isn't ready for 24 rounds of 1st grade, I rate him and his effort and can see him the long term 5/8th, but Nathan being there or Nathan not being there and him running the side is a worry, all he does is run, there's barely any set up or pass in his game, he is definitely a tough basterd tho.

Talagi seems to be all flash, no substance, zero defence minded, cannot carry a player like that, we've already got daine lauire and he is a way better defender, and Ivan still won't trust him as our 14,
Talagis got no hope of landing 5/8th or centre even without defence being a focus, and that's not something that gets taught in one preseason, that's lotsa reps in nsw cup

Daine laurie is same usual, great fullback, attacking threat, just not able to defend long stints in the line, so 5/8th is no go zone, back up fullback/winger is his role, expect him to be backs Huth V.2

Toelua looks promising, I'm sure he'll get some run time as a permanent 14 this coming season, seems to have a bit of Romy flair about him, also think his stints as 14 gives Kenny a breather, not sure he could command the team at 5/8th if Nathan is away, but there's promise there..

Schnieder to start as 6,
Toelau as 14,
Cole as back up half

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I'd expect schnieder to be ahead of the rest, purely based on his defending, and that he and Nathan have barely played together, the rest are works in progress, and as soon as one of them kicks, schnieder contracts elsewhere... I still rate schnieder tho, I feel like he has been pulling back or been told to hold back this season, and Romy has been owning the side in naths absence, you'd think that would be schnieder giving he is a halfback, and romy the 5/8th, atleast that's how it was last season under cogger, seems like Ivan wanted Romy to run the side in preparation from him at his next contract, as we aren't in the business of wanting our stock being failures elsewhere, (although it happens through bad rosters/management at other clubs etc)
I can see schnitty flourish as bulldogs halfback, alongside Burton, but I'd rather he be a steady hand here with us, and let Nathan roam
As far as the others on the list, cole isn't ready for 24 rounds of 1st grade, I rate him and his effort and can see him the long term 5/8th, but Nathan being there or Nathan not being there and him running the side is a worry, all he does is run, there's barely any set up or pass in his game, he is definitely a tough basterd tho.

Talagi seems to be all flash, no substance, zero defence minded, cannot carry a player like that, we've already got daine lauire and he is a way better defender, and Ivan still won't trust him as our 14,
Talagis got no hope of landing 5/8th or centre even without defence being a focus, and that's not something that gets taught in one preseason, that's lotsa reps in nsw cup

Daine laurie is same usual, great fullback, attacking threat, just not able to defend long stints in the line, so 5/8th is no go zone, back up fullback/winger is his role, expect him to be backs Huth V.2

Toelua looks promising, I'm sure he'll get some run time as a permanent 14 this coming season, seems to have a bit of Romy flair about him, also think his stints as 14 gives Kenny a breather, not sure he could command the team at 5/8th if Nathan is away, but there's promise there..

Schnieder to start as 6,
Toelau as 14,
Cole as back up half
You're insane if you ever want to see Laurie on the wing again.

Latest posts