What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5/8 options

Whino

Bench
With Luai going I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread about possible replacements.
Either at the club or elsewhere.

Girds89

Bench
Of the options here.

I think schnieder is a real smokey.. if he can kick on like cogger and sos did hes a real chance to take that spot. Hes an out and out half unlike laurie whose a more natural fb. And cole is a bit of a utility/centre/five eight.

Laurie... well he has the skills. Defence is the question. And his long kicking game isnt that strong.

Cole... similar to laurie his defence needs work..he got shown up a lot last year in cup.. still coming to terms with the physicality of playing against the big boys.

In terms of who outside the club... we wont have much coin. The club will move quickly to resign tago and a few others.

I wouldnt mind seeing cogger back here. I think he was brilliant for us and he seemed to understand how to play with nath and they just clicked.

Other than that the idea should be for a few kids in ball and cup to be spending a few hours a week every week this year with nath and luai. Doing extras and seeing what it takes.

Promoting or unearthing a gun junior should be the plan.

MugaB

Coach
Of the options here.

I think schnieder is a real smokey.. if he can kick on like cogger and sos did hes a real chance to take that spot. Hes an out and out half unlike laurie whose a more natural fb. And cole is a bit of a utility/centre/five eight.

Laurie... well he has the skills. Defence is the question. And his long kicking game isnt that strong.

Cole... similar to laurie his defence needs work..he got shown up a lot last year in cup.. still coming to terms with the physicality of playing against the big boys.

In terms of who outside the club... we wont have much coin. The club will move quickly to resign tago and a few others.

I wouldnt mind seeing cogger back here. I think he was brilliant for us and he seemed to understand how to play with nath and they just clicked.

Other than that the idea should be for a few kids in ball and cup to be spending a few hours a week every week this year with nath and luai. Doing extras and seeing what it takes.

Nathan Cleary end of...
Schneider to 7

Iamback

Coach
Theres no chance cleary is moving to 6. We can forget about that.

Hes tracking to be the best 7 of all time. Yes he may get involved a lot more. I expect him to play both sides of the ruck.

But hes 100% still guna be 7 and calling the shots

So he wears 7 but plays like a 6 aswell, The result is the same.

For me no point going externally. We have 3 good options depending on what style they want to play

Fangs

Coach
I agre with Girds on Schneider there is potential there. He has a good boot and defends well enough. He provides halfback cover so he can do the swaparoo with Cleary.

And chances are we will see it at the WCC. I doubt we take Luai unless he is 100%. He has just come from the Super League (Schneider) and I think would love another shot at Wigan.

Importantly it won't be 850k whoever we find the play 6. We can go a bit cheaper and use the funda elsewhere. I wouldn't even pay Burton that money.

Girds89

Bench
So he wears 7 but plays like a 6 aswell, The result is the same.

For me no point going externally. We have 3 good options depending on what style they want to play

Nah hell just be a 7 that plays both sides of the ruck like JT used to.

That doesnt make him a 6.

Iamback

Coach
I agre with Girds on Schneider there is potential there. He has a good boot and defends well enough. He provides halfback cover so he can do the swaparoo with Cleary.

And chances are we will see it at the WCC. I doubt we take Luai unless he is 100%. He has just come from the Super League (Schneider) and I think would love another shot at Wigan.

Importantly it won't be 850k whoever we find the play 6. We can go a bit cheaper and use the funda elsewhere. I wouldn't even pay Burton that money.

It was a later finish but Cleary missed the 1st month.

No point risking him. So we see how the new 6 goes

Girds89

Bench
Yes but he won't always be 1st receiver. That is a 6

Mate hes always going to be our halfback.

Theres no if or buts about it..theres no spin you can put on it.

Hes never going to be a 9 as you once thought.

Hes going to be the goat and the best 7 of all time. Period. Thats it.

I dont care if he plays 2md reciever 50% of the game in the future.

There's gunna be one bloke calling the shots.

Girds89

Bench
Not resigning luai for 850 is the best thing for the club imo.

If we didnt have nath id be devo.

But with nath we dont need an elite 6.

We just need a 6 that is willing to put his body on the line and play really direct in attack.

Keeping tago, may, turuva is just as important

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Of the options here.

We have shitload of coin. Over a mil a year IF we wish to spend it that way. Not something I'd do but a solid 400-500k 6 on the other hand........best thing is we have half a season to trial who we have before making that call

Girds89

Bench
We have shitload of coin. Over a mil a year IF we wish to spend it that way. Not something I'd do but a solid 400-500k 6 on the other hand........best thing is we have half a season to trial who we have before making that call

I dont think we do tbh.

If wed resigned luai we lose tago, may and probs kenny.

Now we keep those 3 likely and cole and a few juniors.

So i think it works out well.

Tago is going to get double triple what hes on now.. maybe more.

Kenny will need more

Turuva will need more.

May if he kicks on will too.

I dont think we will have the coin to go in for a half a mil 6 nor should we.

Cole laurie, schnieder will get a chance this year and we will see what they can do.

Dyls ball playing has come along.. kenny is passable. Throw in yeo and we just need a 6 that plays direct and gives nath some space to do his thing.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I dont think we do tbh.

If wed resigned luai we lose tago, may and probs kenny.

Now we keep those 3 likely and cole and a few juniors.

So i think it works out well.

Tago is going to get double triple what hes on now.. maybe more.

Kenny will need more

Turuva will need more.

May if he kicks on will too.

I dont think we will have the coin to go in for a half a mil 6 nor should we.

Cole laurie, schnieder will get a chance this year and we will see what they can do.

Dyls ball playing has come along.. kenny is passable. Throw in yeo and we just need a 6 that plays direct and gives nath some space to do his thing.
May can go

Girds89

Bench
May can go

Ppl are very very quick to forget how good he was in his debut year.

He was as good as turuva but better finishing

Makes me laugh how short ppls memories are.

May is a very very good footy player.

Centre is a huge ask this year but i expect him to give it a red hot go.

If he can hit the ground running and get some confidence in that knee he will have a big year.

Personally i think tago is going to be the best centre in the game.

Everyone else is warming the spot till casey mclean is ready.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Ppl are very very quick to forget how good he was in his debut year.

He was as good as turuva but better finishing

Makes me laugh how short ppls memories are.

May is a very very good footy player.

Centre is a huge ask this year but i expect him to give it a red hot go.

If he can hit the ground running and get some confidence in that knee he will have a big year.

Personally i think tago is going to be the best centre in the game.

Everyone else is warming the spot till casey mclean is ready.
I know exactly how good he is. I also seemingly understand our cap structure better than most. Outside backs can come and go like nothing. To'o is the exception

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Daino is a great little competitive fella. In a couple of games he played ⅝ for us tiges, (even knowing he was going back home to the Panthers), he was close to best for us. The guy never gives in, big heart, quick and supports well.

I think Daine will blossom back at Penrith. 24 filling in for Jarome, fixing up his tackling technique back in cup. I think come 25 he'll be quite wonderful.