What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

5TH ASHES TEST: England v Australia at The Oval Aug 21-25, 2013

JJ

Immortal
Monty's spat with the bouncer is what ruled him out.

I think Kerrigan is actually England's No. 4 spinner to be honest after Swann, Panesar and Tredwell but with no Panesar and Tredwell also being an offie he was the one who was selected.

And really, fair enough too. He's consistently put the numbers on at FC level for around three years now. He just looks like he completely got the yips when playing in a test match. Could happen to anyone I suppose.

Woakes too is averaging less than 30 and around 40 with the bat this season. He justifies selection virtually as a batsman and it's not like Bairstow has set the world on fire this series.

They have identified we are all but f**king useless against spin so dumped the underperforming batsman in Bairstow for their most in-form quick bowling all-rounder in Woakes. Brought in their best spinner who takes it away from the right hander in Kerrigan (would have been Panesar but for discipline) and there you go.

I completely get the tactic, and it makes double sense in a dead rubber in case it backfires (which it kinda sorta has).

I get it too, but it is a little arrogant, but I guess that reflects the series, and the two teams... Certainly Cook and Trott especially will be disappointed, and tbh I think they look stronger with Root at 6 and Compton opening...

England can play much better, and that should worry Australia...

Agree on Woakes, but pace bowling looks thin with him as #3, akin to Australia using 2 quicks + Watson...

Tommy Smith

Referee
Just wanted to come in and say that the young Kerrigan kid is the worst 'spin' bowler I've ever seen.

He makes Ashton Agar or Xavier Doherty look like Stuart MacGill.

I personally think we've been disrespectful this test by playing both he and that other pie chucker over the likes of Tremlett.

Disappointing selections.

And congrats Watto. About f**king time and here's to another 46 inning wait for his next hundred.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Im not sure why people laying the boot into Kerrigan already. The bloke was nervous as hell and Watto was in rare (fu*kin) rare form early in his dig

The kid has a really good FC record, plus is killing it this season. Worthy and justified Debutant for a dead rubber test IMO. Lets see how he goes with our tail and in the 2nd dig. might shut up a few

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The issue with Kerrigan is that he looks nervous, like he wasn't up for test cricket. Whether he is or not is yet to be decided but it would be tough for the selectors to trust him as the number one spinner if Swann got injured. Tremlett or Finn should have played here. Woakes has potential but England are clearly a fast man short.

Hopefully Australia cash in and put 500+ on them.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
And I'm a huge fan of those hovercraft covers. Lets get them here.

And Tubby's hair dye job is f**king ridiculous.

Xfactor1979

Bench
Typical English weather.

But funny thing is, we get more rain than london in certain australian cities

Ie syds or brisbane especially in "summer" yet we make it out syds is some perfect place with mild dry summers

Speaking of the weather I'd rather be nowhere else this "winter" than syds, bar a couple of windy days. Forecast is for some mid 20s weather this weekend
Which might affect footy crowds this weekend, because everyone will think its too nice to go to the footy for a couple of hours

Timbo

Staff member
Anyone listening to the ABC? Michael Vaughan is on and actually making quite a bit of sense.

IanG

Coach
Watching episodes of Motorway Patrol at the moment. If only I knew sooner so I could flick over to The Game Plan

TheParraboy

Staff member
morning session washed out, still light rain about

lunch taken 30min early @ 9.30pm AET

Hopefully get some play underway around 10.30-11pm to night??

Spot On

Coach
Im not sure why people laying the boot into Kerrigan already. The bloke was nervous as hell and Watto was in rare (fu*kin) rare form early in his dig

The kid has a really good FC record, plus is killing it this season. Worthy and justified Debutant for a dead rubber test IMO. Lets see how he goes with our tail and in the 2nd dig. might shut up a few

Malcolm Conn recons he won't see test cricket again for a couple years, if at all.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Look the only issue I have with Silk is I would rather him at 3- he is a top order bat...problem is Watson just made 176 at 3! I guess the compromise could be Silk at 4, Clarke back to 5, and Smith at 6. That COULD be the option.